Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:28 AM
Passenger

Default Dolphin Swim/Encounter Cozumel

Hi,
I have read conflicting views on the Dolphin Swim or Encounter in Cozumel. I know the swim is slightly more expensive, 20 to 30 dollar difference. But, hey it's a once in a lifetime thing, any suggestions. Will be ofr the wife and kids, 9 and 11. The 8 year old says he wont do it...
Thank you
Jonathan

Carnival Glory

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:02 PM
geauxLSU

Default Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter Cozumel

If it sounds fun to you try it. That's what I think. You will always get differences of opinions because you are dealing with people and we all have different taste.
Go for it.
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Thanks, what I really am looking for is the difference between the two...Swim and Encounter. Thanks again!

Carnival Glory

Old July 31st, 2003, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband & I did the dolphin encounter last year, I can only give my opinion of that but I loved it. It was a once in a lifetime experience.
We first were given instructions on what to do and not do etc. then we were led down onto a platform in the water with the dolphin name Picasso. during the aprox 45 min Picasso perfomed for us, and we were allowed to touch and pet him. during this time they took pictures of Picasso giving each person a kiss on the cheek and then us giving him a kiss on the top of his nose. they also take a video of the entire thing, all of which they sell to you at the end. If I remember right the pictures were about 15.00 each and the video I think was about 30.00.
There were several children about 10 years of age with our group, and they were having a great time. it was almost as much fun watching the kids interact as it was watching the dolphin.
Which ever you chose you'll have a great time.
Old July 31st, 2003, 04:56 PM
Passenger

try: http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/cozumel.htm

This is their web site and it will give info on the different programs. You can also book through them and it's cheaper than on the ship.

Old August 1st, 2003, 08:29 AM
chipburger

Here is the difference in the two programs. The encounter is when you stand on a platform, kiss the dolphin, watch it do tricks and pet it when it swims bye. The swim/snorkel program is where you get on a platform and kiss the dolphin. But here is where the difference starts once that is over you actually get to get in the water and interact with the dolphin. You get to do a fin shake and then get pulled back to the platform on the dolphin's belly. After everyone in the group does that you put on your snorkel gear and snorkel with the dolphin while it swims around and does some underwater tricks. That is why the swim/snorkel program is more expensive because you get to interact so much more. I did the swim/snorkel program when we went on the inagural Glory cruise and trust me it was well worth the money. Any more questions and I will be happy to ask them.

Chipburger
Old August 1st, 2003, 12:38 PM
Captain

You better try to book it with them rather than wait for the ship.....we are not sailing until Mid-November and we just got the 3:30 swim yesterday...it was the only one left for the day we are there. I guess they only allow about 6 people at a time go in.......and it sells out fast.

Sensation

Old August 1st, 2003, 07:44 PM
chipburger

The reason it is hard to get a swim through them is because Carnival books some of the spots for themselves to allow their guests to do it. You can book on the ship and it will be fine.

Chipburger