Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Jamaica

Does anyone know why the carnival triumph leaves jamaica so early we leave at 3:30 which seems like a short time to be on the island since we don`t get in till 8 by the time we disemark i`m not sure we will have much time. If the ship leaveat 3:30 we will have to be back by what time? Thanks for everything guys...
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Jamaica

You will have to be back onboard at least a half hour before scheduled sailing. The reasons are basically because of the time it takes to get from one port to the next.
Jim

Old July 31st, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Jamaica

You would be amazed at what you can do in a port for 7 hours.
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:50 AM
Beginner

Book the Dunns River Falls tour. I was taveling with brother and his wife and they did not want to do this. Everyone who came back raved about this tour.
We ended up just walking around and I would not recomend to anyone to do this.
The islanders walk right up to you and ask if you want to buy drugs and when you tell them NO they get pretty upset with you. If they even think you want a cab they will follow you all around. The word on our boat was that a couple took a cab ride around the island and got robbed a left on the island they were fine and got back to the boat safely but it does ruin your trip and because they did this on there own Carnival is not responsible. In all its not the safest Island and I found it to be one the most filthy islands ive been to. In Grand Cayman we did the stringray tour an experience you will never forget. In cozmel they tell you not to drink the water or get a drink with ice or you will be visiting the bathroom alot , we took the advice and others did not and talking to other people on our cruise they did visit the bathroom quite frequent.
This isnt to discourage you, just to let you know to always use caution.
Kevin
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Jamaica (kevin)

Kevin, thanks for the advice about Dunn`s river. I`m sorry you had such a bad experience visting the falls. I as well did the tours several years ago. Unfortunately i am travaling with 20 memebers of my family and they are on a tight budget (plus we have to convert from CA to US money). 8 of them are college students so 75 dollars US is alot for them. Are there any other methods to visit the falls with out using the cruise line that might be cheaper. and if there is anyone who has done the falls alone and had a godo experience i would love to know what you did. Thaks to everyone else who responded.
Old August 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Jamaica

We have done the falls both on our own and with the ships tour and had a wonderful time. Yes the vendors can be pushy but they are trying to make a living so they can eat that night. I have never been offered drugs nor felt intimidated in Jamacia and have walked all over Ocho Rios on our own. My oldest sone was asked once and he just laughed and said no thanks and they left him alone, no problems. On the whole Jamacians are wonderful friendly people that enjoy life. They are also very proud and like most people do not enjoy it when someone looks down on them, even innocently. Treat them in the same manner in which you wish to be treated and you should find Jamacia to be a wonderful place.
Jim

Old August 1st, 2003, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Yes we walked around in Ocho Rios also and it is like Jim stated. Treat them like you would want to be treated and just be firm with your response. While it is a dirty island we all thought it was the most beautiful island we have been to yet. There were 5 of us and we had no problems with the locals. We did the Cool Runnings Catamaran to Dunn's River. It was $33 pp. Be sure to have watersocks and take a waterproof camera or make sure to pack it in a waterproof case. Happy sailing!