Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Belize as a port of call

On the Inspiration in November, one of our stops will be in Belize. We were thinking of taking the shore excursion to Goff"s Caye. Has anyone done this particular excursion and if so what were your opinions.

Looking forward to hearing from lots of you Thanks - Rosemary
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:09 AM
RJN

Default Re: Belize as a port of call

I hear good things about cave tubing there, you have to take ground transportation inland to get there, Im curious like you.
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:19 AM
SnowWhiteNYC

Default Been to Belize

My hub and I were on the Pride last year and stopped in Belize. We are not into ship tours so we did some research and went off on our own. We took the first tender from the ship and then took a water taxi from the pier to Caye Caulker. The taxi was $12.50 per person round trip. The speed boat ride to the island took 45 minutes. The ride itself was beautiful. The island is tiny, no cars at all. You could see from one side to the other. We arranged for a short snorkelling tour with a local operator (there are several and you can't miss them). The snorkelling was spectacular and much cheaper than the ship's version. We got back and rented a golf cart for $10. We rode around the little island walked the three sand streets of "town" and had a great lunch at Rasta Pasta. We thoroughly enjoyed our day. We caught a 3pm water taxi back to the pier and had time for some shopping in the shops before taking a tender back to the ship.

You can also take a water taxi to Ambergis Caye (San Pedro) which is a little bigger and a little more developed than Caye Caulker (it has more services, shops etc...). The trip to Ambergis takes a little longer - just over an hour.

Have a great time!
Old August 2nd, 2003, 02:08 AM
Raftrider

Rosemary,
did the goffs cay excursion when we did our pride cruise in May...I can only tell you that the 4 adults and one teen in our group enjoyed it very much.....They take you to a little island...(very small)....via a boat, they give you bottled water to drink on the boat...they drop you at the little island, give you snorkel equipment, and then you snorkel from the beach.....the snokeling is great, lots to see.....you can lay on the beach, and there is a large hut where you can buy beer and some food.....you stay there for about 2-3 hours, and then go back to the ship...we had time to get on the ship, eat lunch at the buffet, and then we took a tender in to belize city and looked around at the shops right at the dock.....we enjoyed our time in belize very much....I've heard mixed opinions about goffs cay, if you want alot of glitz, it wont be your place.....If you like the gilligans island kind of thing, with good snorkeling, you'll like it....we did..................................have a great cruise.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 01:11 PM
First Mate

I copied abd pasted the below from anothe board. It was posted on 08-01=03.

Hi all -

I spoke to a Carnival consultant regarding a post on Belize last week. I asked him about a "rumor" discontinuing Belize as a port. He confirmed that Belize will be "phased out" over the next few months and itinerarys will be changed. He could not tell me exactly when this would occur. He just said I would be given "sufficient notice" of the change. Some changes are significant. Imagination will go to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios according to him, instead of Key West and Belize. Any comments?
Old August 2nd, 2003, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

Wow...how about the Inspiration which does stop in Belize? I wonder where it's gonna go now? We're on it in March 2004

Old August 2nd, 2003, 05:20 PM
Admiral

I'll see what I can find out, Until then I don't believe rumors, especially those that came from other boards. They are usually wrong. Give me until Monday to find out if there is any truth to this.
Jim

Old August 2nd, 2003, 05:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

Thank you for your email.

I called Carnival to check on your question. Carnival advised that another ship in their fleet had to cancel their Belize stop due to time constraints. The ship that you are sailing on is still doing their full itinerary.

Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Thank you Jim. I don't believe it either so I emailed Carnival to ask today and am waiting for a reply

Old August 2nd, 2003, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

I have folks that I can talk to at Carnival that will know the answer without question. I would not rely on a "cruise consultant" for something this important. Many have never even been on a cruise and are not the best source for accurate information. I also am not depending on 'customer service' types either. The answer is forthcoming but I have my doubts as to the truth to a rumor like this.
Jim

Old August 2nd, 2003, 10:33 PM
Kristineth

Hi SnowWhiteNYC,
My husband and I are planning on heading over to Caye Caulker when we cruise in September. We wanted to do our own thing, rather than doing the ship sponsored tours. Do you remember the name of the tour operator you went snorkeling with??? Just curious...we thought about snorkeling, but may just explore the island....I've done a little research and it looks like a beautiful place. Although I have heard/read so many negative things about Belize, we are really looking forward to going there.
Kristin : )
Old August 2nd, 2003, 11:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to sandi_g Send a message via MSN to sandi_g Send a message via Yahoo to sandi_g

Email me and i will give u a site that books for Belize.......
sandi_g2003@yahoo.com
Sandi~
What ship are u goin on in Sept ? I"m on inspiration aug 31st - Sept 7th
Old August 3rd, 2003, 09:05 AM
SnowWhiteNYC

Hi Kristineth!

I don't remember the name of the operator but we didn't book it until we got to Caye Caulker. The island is so tiny you can't miss it. We walked from the taxi pier straight across the island (you can see from one side to the other) and it was a small building (and I do mean small) in smack in the middle. Rasta Pasta is great for lunch - cheap and good (great island feel as well). We saw some people snorkelling up near the center of the island (hurricane went thru a couple of years ago and what's left is apparently an area where you can snorkel)

If you have any other questions feel free!
Old August 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Okay folks, here is the facts about Belize and Carnival. Carnival IS NOT dropping Belize as a port of call. In fact they are expanding it with more ships going there. What may have been the source of this rumor is because the Inspiration is going to change it's itinary in Sept from Belize to Ocho Rios and GC. The Central American ports are very important to Carnival and they are looking for more ships to call on these ports as time and infrastructure allows. If you want to know the truth, come to the Cruisemates boards, we find out the facts.
Jim

Old August 3rd, 2003, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Ok, so is this change on the Inspiration permanent or just for the month of September?

Old August 3rd, 2003, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Permanant, or as permanant as any intinary gets.
Jim

Old August 3rd, 2003, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

Ok, now I'm totally confused

Our itinerary when we booked was GC, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize. Therefore why would they change Belize to Ocho Rios AND GC when GC is already in the intinerary?

So, now it's only going to be Ocho Rios and GC on a 7 night cruise
Or is only Belize being replaced by Ocho Rios and the rest of the intinerary stays the same?

Post Edited (08-03-03 13:13)
Old August 3rd, 2003, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

Belize is being replaced by Ocho Rios
Jim

Old August 3rd, 2003, 03:03 PM
First Mate

Jim, that's sure a different answer than I got from my TA. I cut and pasted their response, although I see it's been edited. I think the confusion is due to the repositioning. When Sensation shifts to NO and Inspiration takes over it's 4+5 day route, Belize will indeed be dropped from Inspirations itinerary. But, Inspirations current 7 day route, including Belize will be picked up my Miracle. All this takes place around October 2004. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old August 3rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
Admiral

I read that Miracle was taking over Inspirations route too on carnival.com but not til Oct/Nov 2004. That isn't this fall(2003), but next fall and I'm alittle bit confused about it.

Our cruise is March 2004 and it's the 7 day one. Therefore if it's next fall then our itinerary is the same but if it's this fall then why does Carnival.com not mention this but mention the itinerary changing in late 2004?

Post Edited (08-03-03 15:38)
Old August 3rd, 2003, 05:35 PM
Admiral

GJG,
The response you got from your TA had their url and phone # edited out as that is not permitted in the message boards. As I stated, Belize is a growing port that is expanding. The only change is that the Inspiration will no longer port there but instead is exchanging the port of Belize for that of Ocho Rios. Other ships will be porting at Belize. My information comes from contacts at Carnival directly that know itinaries and schedules.
Jim

Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:51 PM
Passenger

Ok, if Carnival is changing the port of call from Belize to Ocho Rios this is really going to make me very mad. I chose the Inspiration 7 day cruise BECAUSE of the stop in Belize.
Jim, did Carnival explain why they were changing the itinerary?

Fascination 97
Jubilee 99
Inspiration 2003
Pride 2007
Triumph 2008
Old August 3rd, 2003, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Neverepar,
This is going to take place in in Sept. (I don't know which sailing). The only reason I could get the ones I talked to about it is probably because so many other ships are now going there and there is a conflict in schedules. There is only a limited number of ships that this port can handle at any one time. The Glory is now going there and the Elation soon will be.If this port is that necessary for you then I suggest you talk to your TA immediately and see about changing to a another ship that is going there. Your TA should know about this change.
Jim

Old August 12th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Brenda01

Helen,

Did you find out when this change takes place? We are going on the Inspiration in November 2003 and have all ready made reservations to tube with Reggie. I would love to know if the change is this fall or 2004.

Thanks,

Brenda
Old August 12th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Admiral

It is the Fall of 2004...it won't change our itinerary for the March sailing in 2004.

Best thing to do is call Carnival if you're concerned. I'm sure someone there can help clarify the changes.

Old August 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

Actually the date of this change is the Sept 15th sailing, 2003, about a month from now.
Jim

Old August 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

I was told the Inspiration is not changing until 2004
The Imagination is changing in 2003

Is this not correct?

Post Edited (08-13-03 16:18)
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize as a port of call

It's the Imagination. Not sure about the Inspiration as a year is pretty far in advance to say anything for sure.
Jim