Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2003, 02:21 PM
Robert P. Geiszler

Default Triumph- Not for the handicapped

If you are handicapped ---it is my opinion that you avoid Carnival Triumph. .

I will present my case and let you make your own independent decision. You may be accustomed to this type of service and treatment.

This crusie was not our choosing. We go in October on the Paradice. This was our fourth and last Carnival Cruise.

First ---a person with good health and not physical limited can not understand the point of view of those with disabilities. They may say they do, but only when they become disabled will they truly understand.

My wife wears a leg brace and climbing stairs for her is very difficult. Her fast pace is a slow crawl for most able-bodied people. And I have angina.

Now I present our case that Carnival dose not want persons with disabilities on their boats.

Carnival does not come right out and say so. But they let their staff and the ship present their case for them.

EMBARKATION
We arrived at the Port of Miami at 1:25 by taxi from our pre-cruise stay at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay Hotel in Miami. We unloaded the bags from the back of the taxi right into the hands of the porters prior experience we tipped the porter $15.00 to handle our six bags. #1 reason is we got our luggage at 3:00. Those of you who do not tip will find out the hard way.

We headed inside the terminal where the check-in nightmare began. They didn’t begin to open the doors until 1:30 so there was ALREADY a huge line. Then the meat packing process began. Carnival Miami Terminal now processes “TWO” ships on Saturday July 26, 2003 , the Carnival Imagination 2000+ passengers and the Triumph 3300 passengers through ONE port of entry not two as in the past. Please note this. They are now running both ships through one entry port. Carnival is a FOR PROFIT business and to insure that they make money they have discontinued the port of entry for the Carnival Imagination. You will NOW have a 1 ½ hr to 2 ½ hr boarding adventure. Just do the math.

When you get your sail and sign card you have to walk from where the Imagination boards to the where the Triumph boards. THERE WAS NO ONE WITH ANY WHELL CHAIRS to help the handicap. Trust me on this I would have paid $50 to get my wife on board. But I found no takers. By the time my wife got to the cabin 1 ½ hours later she was in pain from all the climbing up and down that she HAD to do. This was the first signal that Carnival does not want the handicap business. You will find this out after you pay your $$$$$.

We were told that on the Triumph there are 25 wheelchair accessible cabins. We got a “ “handicapped room” with a step up into the bathroom.

Next point in our case.

Day Trips Offshore excursions:

There are no off shore excursions that a handicapped person can partake. Carnival’s own rating of the each individual offshore activity will confirm this fact

Use of on board facilities:

The Triumph is not for the handicapped . It is impossible to use any of the pools or hot tubs on board. You have to climb stairs to get into the hot tub. The Lido pool deck pool area is very slippery. The blue title gets extremely hot.

Third point of our case:

Carnival doesn’t want your business and you are told so by the Cruise Director “ Skippy.”

The Pursers Office staff will also so inform you of this fact it is YOUR fault that you are handicapped and you MUST BE STUPID to have even thought that Carnival owed you any consideration. “ Carnival is not the USA.” “ Carnival will not be told what it has to do to accommodate the handicap. “

Fourth point of our case.

The handicapped are let off the boat LAST at 11:00.

Here you are put into a sea of mass confusion of angry healthy bodied passengers who are pissed off that they can not find their luggage and they carry this over to the area where you try and get a taxi cab. DO NOT be surprised if after waiting with your porter in line for a cab to find some just jump in front of you and TRY and push you away. IF your porter is BIG and you paid him $15.00 he takes over and you get your cab.

The elevators were do working most of the time.

Their where packs of teenagers that roam the ship. A gang fight broke out Friday night by the ice cream Shoppe. These packs would roam the halls at night and bang on cabin doors. They also would grab the handle of the cabins to see if they could get in. The elevators where used for places to smoke pot. You would get in after waiting 10 minutes to this surprise,

If cigar smoke and smoking in general bothers you…then go on the Paradise.

After you been on one Cranival Cruise you have been on them all. The same show format is used. The same folklic show in Cozmel. The "magic" show is ok .

The so called Vegas style review is used on all Carnival boats. They may "alter" some of the parts of the show but it is the same show as the Paradice.

Some of our negative points are not the fault of Carnival Triumph. The packs of teeangers. The uncontrolled smoking. The elevators that where always begining repaired. The only off shore tours are a cab ride to the beach.

On a scale of 1 to 10 this was a 5. The Paradice in October is a far better value.
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2003, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Triumph- Not for the handicapped

Wow that is a totally different atmosphere then when we were on the Triumph in February.

We boarded at 11:30am and were on the ship within 30 min or so. Maybe it's that we got there earlier then you did? 1:30 boarding has gotta be crazy. We had a line at 11:30am but it moved quite well.

We had a different cruise director too so that may mean a difference.

The elevators worked properly thru out our cruise.

The shore tours: we went off on our own in St Thomas and St Maartin but did do a shore tour in San Juan as it was evening when we arrived. It was bus tour and you could sit the entire time. I even saw some wheelchairs while we were on our tour.

We are booked on the inspiration and this will be our 3rd Carnival cruise (Triumph and Sensation previously) and I haven't had any troubles with Carnival, however I don't have any limitations either.

I'm sorry your cruise wasn't what you expected. Maybe the Paradise will be much better If you booked via a travel agent I would suggest you make them aware of your wife's limitations so they can possibly help better next time.

If you feel so strongly your cruise was bad I suggest you bring it to someones attention. I had a disappointing experience with Carnival Triumph where we came back late from our shore excursion in San Juan and missed late dinner seating by like 5 minutes (they shut the doors and refused to let us sit for dinner) due to someone coming back to meet the bus from shopping. I wrote to Carnival cruiselines via planetfeedback.com and got a S&S credit for my future cruise and a gift basket free on my next cruise. Sometimes if we bring these problems to their attention they will hopefully work on fixing it for the next person.

Post Edited (08-03-03 15:57)
Old August 3rd, 2003, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Triumph- Not for the handicapped

This is not the Carnival I know nor the Triumph that I have sailed on twice. You will not have you luggage dissappear if you do not tip, but you should tip anyway. I am handicapped myself although not yet in a wheelchair. I do know that all one has to do is ask a CCL rep and they will provide a wheelchair for you. I hgave never been treated but with the utmost respect by the crew at all times. Also on every CCL cruise I have taken, (total around 18) the Handicapped are the first to disembark. Additionally there are a number of ships tours that are available for the handicapped but yes, don't expect para-sailing or hiking to be one of them. The shows are all "Vegas" style but they are differant on each and every ship. Some of the acts they bring onboard from outside vendors are the same. While there are problems with some kids, it is the same on all mainstream cruiselines and a gang-fight is a little much. I just can't see a gang all booking a cruise and traveling around together.
Jim

Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
Beginner

I departed Triumph the day you got on and i must say that this by far is the best cruise i have been on.... one more thing it's Paradise
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:12 PM
Familiar Face

Hopefully your next cruise will be better. No matter what cruise line you are on. I am expecting better times from the Triumph. One of our reasons for booking with Carnival the first time in 1999 was the fact that our TA's husband was disabled (in a wheelchair) and the only line he felt comfortable on was Carnival. He is our age and always is treated with respect.
Better luck in the future.

Old August 3rd, 2003, 10:31 PM
Cammy

Default Re: Triumph - Great Cruise!!!

Robert,

I'm sorry your experience was not as great as ours. We were on the same ship and cruise as you. I did also experience a long wait checking in (45 minutes); however we were on the ship and eating lunch by 1:00. There are (2) separate checkins for both ships. We were on the Imagination last year and the Triumph this year. Maybe you went in the wrong door?

I thought the kids on the cruise were being kids (having fun). I did not see any fights, pot smoking, or anything else that teenagers shouldn't be doing. Carnival is known in the industry as being very kid friendly. Its a great company for those of us that do have kids and want/need to spend time with them.

We thought the shows were excellent including Skippy (our Cruise Director). Were you the one that put the bracelet in the bag for the magic show?

Perhaps as stated in a previous thread, maybe you should have worked out some special arrangements with your travel agency. Our family had a great time and would recommend Carnival to our friends.
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Passenger

Sorry - I must have missed something in this post. If Carnival is so bad and you will ne ver go on a "Carnival" cruise again - what are you doing going on the Paradise?
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear you had a difficult time also. My husband and I went on the Paradise last year and got a handicapped room which had no steps. It was by far the best cruise we've been on.

Here is a # to their Special Requirements office that you can use to speak to someone there in the future. They were very helpful and compassionate.

800/438-6744 ext 70025

Perhaps next time you might considering renting a wheelchair from your home town to take on the cruise for your wife. I know they do not have wheelchairs available for rent on the Paradise, they are for use for passengersif needed due to some problem while on board, which makes sense.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Admiral

I was on the Triumph and we got upgraded to an handicapped room and there was not a step into the bathroom. It seems to me that you did not bother to ask for a wheelchair or any help at all. I had hurt myself while in Coz one year, badly sprained ankle and they were accomodating to me but I did have to ask!
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Passenger

A friend and I have been on the Triumph and he brought his Jazzy on board without no problem nor any attitude from the crew. Whenever we've traveled our cruise agent always informs the special needs department at Carnival and my friend and I have never encountered anything that you describe.

We have found Carnival to be more handicap friendly and my friend always gets a handicap room when we travel and since I snore he gets his own room and I get my
own room...and we always come back from our cruises talking especially in light of when you get friends that travel together and never come back talking to each
other.