Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:43 AM
anita kennedy

Default stone crabs???

Kimjack you posted about going to a restaurant in miami and eating stone crabs. I have had these also and they were great. How were they fixed when you had them?
Believe it or not we have some in the freezer and I don't know what to do with them?
I was wondering if there was another way besides the way mother-in-law fixes them . She basically marinates them.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: stone crabs???

Anita,

Kim thinks that when you buy stone crabs in a store (frozen) they are already cooked. In that case all you'd have to do is thaw and eat. In the Miami Beach restaurant, the crabs are served cold with a dip of melted butter or a mustard/mayo blend. Stone crabs are always served cold. Yum!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 5th, 2003, 06:40 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: stone crabs???

thanks, that is how I had then and the same dip. Just thought there was another way.
They are great I agree.
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Just steam those bad boys...let them coll then have at it!

Carnival Glory

Old August 5th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Island Hopper

just saw joe's in miami is open from oct...

does that mean no stone crabs in september?

sorry if that's a stupid question, but have been craving those claws for my late sept. cruise.
Old August 6th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Admiral

The best way to cook them, and probably the easiest unless you have commercial equipment, is to put some water (and a little beer) in the bottom of an electric wok. Put the claws on the rack and the top on the wok and turn it on high to steam. Let them steam for 8 minutes.

A good sauce is made of 1 part mayonaisse, 1 part ketchup, and a dash of horseradish. Easy and tasty. There are other good crab sauces out there but they get to be a bit more work. And I always believe the flavor should be in the food and not overpowered by the sauce.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 6th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Island Hopper,

The stone crab season begins Oct. 15th & ends May 15th. The industry starts putting their traps into the water on Oct. 5th. Joe's serves only fresh crabs, so they're open only in season. Frozen crabs keep for 6 months, so I assume any crabs you get in Sept. will be of the frozen kind. They'll still taste fine.

As a point of interest to environmentalists, stone crabs are a renewable resource. Only the claws are eaten. Each stone crab that is caught is declawed and released unharmed. It takes about a year for a stone crab to grow its claw back to the original size. Bon appetit!

Jack

Old August 6th, 2003, 08:47 AM
anita kennedy

What a world of knowledge on stone crabs. Thanks I am going to try the steaming with beer as soon as I get some crabs. The sauce I had was just like yours except for horseradish they used tobasco, just a touch. Sounds like a reason to invite my mother-in-law for a visit for thanksgiving...
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Dena,

I all depends upon the size of the order i.e. the size of the claws. The last time we were at Joe's (2 yrs. ago) the smallest order was about $19.95, while the largest was somewhere around $35 or so. I believe there are 6 sizes offered or thereabouts. I'm talking about entrees, not appetizers. I have no idea what size is offered on the ships, but I suspect that it would be rather small.

Jack

Old August 9th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Passenger

I just got back today from the Legend and have to say that, while I didn't eat the stone crabs in the "Golden Fleece" reservation dining room, the portion offered was quite impressive! All portions were imense (my husband had a 24 oz. porterhouse!) and the crabs were not an exception! ENJOY!!!!!