Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Captain

Default alot of difference

I've seen many messages and inquired myself about the extra rocking that seems to happen on the Conquest.....would this have anything to do with it....
Explorer of the Seas is 1019' long with a width of 157', but the conquest is 956' long and is only 116' wide.....now wouldn't the width of the ship verses the length with an extra 50' make quite a difference.......or am I just a women who doesn't know $%@& about these things...............DONT BE SHY guys I really just am curious.

Sensation

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: alot of difference

Possible Joie, and I too have heard some bad stories from others about that. I live closer to the New Orleans terminal and probably will always take the cruise from there (another ship moving in 2004 to take the Holiday's place) but I probably will not ever take the Conquest. A lady I know up the road said the boat almost seemed as if it was about flip over and things was falling down and breaking and one person on a message board said her husband got flung from his bed. To scary for me. But anyway if you are right about what you said, it makes me wonder about the people who plan out these ship to be built.

Old August 11th, 2003, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Having sailed on the Conquest I can say that the only time I noticed any unusual movement was when it was making the sharp turns while negotiating the Mississippi river. Any ship no matter how large or how good the stablizer are will have some movement and that movement will be greater durning high seas or high winds.
Old August 11th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Admiral

I think you experiance much of what you expect. In other words if you have heard about lots of rocking you will notice lots of rocking. <G> If you have been told they are solid as a rock, you will gush about how stable they are. The main reason people have talked about the Conquest is because it navagates the Mississippi through some fairly sharp turns in a pretty strong current and that causes more healing over than you would expect from the way the water looks.
Jim

Old August 11th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Captain

very true.....the river will make a difference. I thought more about out to sea.
Old August 11th, 2003, 06:15 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: alot of difference

We were on the Conquest in June and the only time we felt movement that you could really notice was leaving Cozumel, we ran into some of Bill but we got out of it and it smoothed down fine. I actually thought the guy driving this boat is doing a good job. This is from a novice.
Old August 11th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: alot of difference

We were on the Conquest in April and found the Conquest to be very smooth and stable. It didn't rock or roll any more than any of the other Carnival ships we've sailed on. You will always experience noticeable motion after leaving Cozumel for most of that evening and night due to a convergence of currents in that part of the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico. I wouldn't let any of the horror stories floating around scare from a Conquest cruise; she's a great ship!
Old August 12th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Captain

Thank you and I will be Happy Sailin in November....I always get a little dizzy after leaving Cozumel ( has something to do with Carlos and Charlies )

Sensation