Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2003, 10:49 PM
jeannieny

Default Need advice--Seasickness

My family of 5 is booked on the Paradise for this coming Sunday, I have Bonine & Scop. patches for all of us. My husband & I went on the Norway last year--no seasickness at all. My kids have never been on a cruise before. None of them have ever had a problem with motion sickness, so I hesitate to just put patches on them for no reason--My doctor says they take about 3 hours to work--my plan is to just wait and see & use the patch or the med. if needed. Is this how most people do it?? I saw alot of people walking around on the Norway with patches on & wondered if it was just a precaution. I would rather wait and see unless that's not wise. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Need advice--Seasickness

If I were you I would wait and see what happens than do it. I know from having been on cruises in the past that the shots they give on the ship are not given until one does experience seasickness because they say they don't work.

Go and have a great time.
Old August 11th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to YankeesBrat

Try sea-bands. You can wait until you feel sick to put them on and there is no medication involved.They're just a wristband with a button like thing on it that hits a pressure point in your wrist relieving sea-sickness...A group of us used em last year and they worked great. If you try them first and they don't work, at least the patch is an option!

Have fun!

Old August 12th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Captain

Where did you find those sea-bands????

Sensation

Old August 12th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Need advice--Seasickness

Sea bands are available at any major pharmacy in the same section you would find Bonine or Dramamine. My grandaughter is quite prone to motion sickness and they work wonders for her in the car. They are simply cotton/elastic bands with two small round balls built in. They are placed over the pulse point on the wrist and somehoe work to assist in motion sickness. I do not know the science, but have seen them work on at least one child. Certainly something to try before one seriously medicates a child .
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:07 AM
susancruzs

PapaBill gives you great advice. Do not medicate the kids before you know whether they will even be bothered by the motion!

My niece, who doesn't get car sick, does every ride imaginable at an amusement park, got horribly sick on a car ferry crossing once land was out of sight. Granted it was the Great Lakes and good sized waves, but someone gave her a wrist band and it helped.

My sister told her don't dwell on it, don't look at the waves, just try to relax and ignore the motion. She relaxed, enjoyed the trip, played bingo and was fine! I think the wrist band contributed!!! :-)

Susie
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:00 PM
MichelleM

You can buy the sea bands on cvs pharmacy's website. I believe they are $9.00 for a set plus shipping.
Old August 12th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Vera E.

The first cruise we ever took was on Sitmar, bought out by Princess. The captain on that ship told us that the secret for not getting seasick is to keep your stomach full. That is why they feed you a lot on a cruise. Also eat the bread because it will stay down. I always carry ginger tablets with me just in case. They can be purchased at a health food store. Ginger is very good for an upset stomach. So the minute you get on ship, go to the Lido and get some food before the ship leaves, unless you eat just before getting on the ship. Good luck!!!
Old August 12th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Need advice--Seasickness

If you must give the kids something before they actually experience motion you should try the Bonine (Meclizine hydrochloride) first. Bonine has far less possible side effects. The scopalimine patch can cause drowsiness and blurred vision. My wife and I always take Bonine or Dramamine-2 (same medicine) as a precaution. I get sick watching a boat on the television. I have yet to get sick on a cruise.

HAVE FUN

MARINER OF THE SEAS 10/31/2004
Sensation 4/17/2004
SOS 4/2003
Fantasy 1991 AND 2002
GLORY 8/2003
Old August 13th, 2003, 10:58 AM
First Mate

Question about Bonine - I'm from Canada, and our major anti-nausea drug here is "gravol" but it causes drowsiness. I've heard that Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness, so I bought some. Having never taken it before, I'm not sure how it's used - I've heard that you can wait until you're feeling sick to take it, but I've also heard that some people take it every day as a precaution. No drowsiness? The main drawback with our standard "gravol" pills is that you have to take it at least 2 hours before you drive/fly... I'm hoping to get some feedback from all you seasoned travellers as to the best way to use the Bonine. If it works after you start feeling ill, then I'd rather wait and not take it unless I need to, but if that is already too late, then I'd be better off taking it on a preventative basis every day. Thanks all.