Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2003, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Default Yet another tipping question

I know there have been several posting out there trying to educate us "newbies" about tipping. But it's very confusing. Here are my questions:

1. Does the automatic tip of $9.-- cover everyone or do I have to tip anyone else individually?

2. If I want to tip anyone extra and individually, can I just hand them an envelope on the last night? Does that money go directly to them, or into a pool? Given the automatic tipping policy, is this what the envelopes are for - extra special tips?

I really want to make sure I don't miss anyone - I think the automatic tipping covers everyone (bartenders get tips on each drink price). Room service obviously will be tipped separately - just don't want to miss anyone else. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Yet another tipping question

The auto-tip covers everyone except for the Maitre'D. You tip him separately at the end of the cruise. Carnival will provide an envelope on the last evening.

You can tip anyone extra as you wish with the extra envelopes. The money goes directly to them including the auto-tip that you leave on the Sign and Sail card. The tip does not go into a pool; at least that is what my waiter and assistant waitress told me on my last cruise.

I am used to tipping in person so that I can thank them for a job superbly done. Personally I do not like the auto-tip so I have the pursor removes all the auto-tip at the start of the cruise. I then thank and hand them the tip on the last night.
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Captain

The auto tip goes to the room steward and your wait staff in the dining room. It does not cover the maitre d.

A 15% tip is added automatically to any drink purchase you make.

You can give a tip directly to anyone you feel deserves it if you wish.
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Ditto what the others have said. However, I always tip the room steward a $10 or $20 at the start of the cruise to make sure we get exceptional service. It only makes sense to me to give them something at the beginning to insure good service rather than wait until the end and then decide the service didn't warrant what they received from auto tipping.

When doing this, I usually ask them for something special. Such as coffee in the morning without having to order it ourselves, or cookies in the room at night, or something of the sort.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 13th, 2003, 05:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

If you read some posts on the tipping board there are many posts there that say the tips are pooled. One of the posters was an employee of one of the cruise lines and he said the tips were most definitely pooled and if asked the staff would most likely tell you no, but they are. We tipped everyone extra thanking them for a job well done not realizing that it all went into a pool at the end of the cruise. I will leave the auto tipping in effect on this next cruise but I wish I knew what the real answer to this question.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old August 13th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

What ever happened to tipping for exceptional service or out of the goodness of your heart? When I was younger I was told that tipping was a custom that started just to ensure prompt service. Now it seems like blackmail, if you don't tip or tip well you will get no service or poor service. I realize that these employees are extremely poorly paid but isn't it a part of their job to provide service in a timely, professional manner?