Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Default Cartagena

Understand that Princess Line for October canal cruise has cancelled Cartagena and substituted Ocho Rios. Has anyone heard if Carnival has made any changes for the Spirit Nov 1 canal cruise. Cartagena is the last port call. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Cruisingocean

Default Re: Cartagena

Kudos to Princess!!! I was wondering if it is the MOST DANGEROUS places according to a special on TV the other day - why do the cruise ships stop there? DUH! Carnival should follow too!
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:11 PM
NV555

From what I have read Ocho Rios dosnt sound all that much better than Cartagena other than Cartagena they usualy just kidnap you and hold you untill the ransom is paid and in Ocho Rios they just kill you for what you have on you.

How does a cruise to Beliez City, Cartagena , Ocho Rios sound?

I have been in many parts of the world and spent time in some very dangerious countries for americans, Moscow, Russia, Sudan, Israel just to name a few. Most of the time if you stay low profile and don't draw a lot of attention to yourself you can get by ok. A lot of americans go overseas and go into high profile mode with draws a lot of attention from local nationals. If you are in a tourist location do not wander from the main tourist locations and stick to public locations your chances of becoming a victim are lot lower.

Most foreigners believe that Americans are wealthy and for the most part they are correct compared to their standard of income and living. Of course its all subject to the location you are referring too. On a recent trip to Japan I felt like I need to apply for a government grant program, as they seem to have a life style that exceeds ours at times. There are cities in the United States that I wouldn’t feel safe wondering around in. At the Embassy in Moscow they had a security notice posted about the crime level in Moscow and it basically stated that although the crime rate in Moscow is considered high Washington D.C would be considered more dangerous for tourists. If anybody has been to Washington D.C. and has wondered a few miles from the White House you know what I’m talking about.
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Desert Orchid

Hi folks,we stopped at Cartegena December 2001,and I can honestly say ,that I never felt alarmed at anytime .We took a coachtour to a Monastery up in the hills overlooking the city and the only scary thing was the width of the road.
The Columbians we met were lovely people and Rocky who was our tour guide, was like a 'Mother Hen'.
I would go back to Cartegena tomorrow,but wouldn't touch Jamaica if I was paid $1million.
Infact the night tour to the cliff divers in Acapulco,was far more scary!!.Our driver took us through some really unpleasant looking areas,next time I am going in the daylight!.

Desert Orchid