Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:50 PM
pinecone

Default Additional Gratuities

In addition to tipping my cabin steward at the end if the cruise, I was wondering if it would be appropraite (and allowed) to present the stewart with a nice bottle of spirits at the beginning of the cruise to ensure outstanding service. I am aware that tips are pooled, and understand the reason why. I would just like to give the stewart something that I know he will directly benefit from. I'm not sure what the ship's policy is on crew accepting non-cash gratuities.

On a second note, if the stewart is unable to accept this gift, if I were to discreetly give him $20 at the beginning of the cruise (again in addition to the traditional tip at the end), would he more than likely "pocket" this or would he turn it in as part of the "pooled" tips.

I appreciate your replies.
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2003, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Additional Gratuities

Tips are not always pooled. This does occur on some ships but it is usually the policy of the Maitre D' and not a hard and fast rule at all. It is much more likely that each individuel gets to keep his own tips. As for a bottle of spirits...being crew they get a huge discount on anything that you can buy on the ship and a bottle of booze is only a quarter of what it would cost you or less. What we always do is tip individually in the traditional manner instead of the auto tipping.
Jim

Old September 1st, 2003, 11:27 AM
Yeoman

Give your cabin stewart or stewartess,or anyone else that goes above and beyond the call of duty money. If you feel it is deserved.I promise you, it will be appreciated.Staple items can be bought very cheap over there. .

Happy Cruising;
David
Old September 1st, 2003, 02:45 PM
Meggie

Default Re: Re: Additional Gratuities

Here's my question... that has kept me pondering and pondering... then pondering some more...... does anyone know-fer sure-if the waiters and room steward get ALL the tip money... or does Carnival keep any as administrative cost?

Anyone?

Also... how many of you guyz tipped the maitre d " ? (woulda' put in all the correct accents, but I'm lazy, and just don't know HOW to find them!!)

Finally, and off subject... is it true that dissentary must be reported to CDC? anyone else from Glory 8/16/03 Sick as Hell??

Smiles!
Meggie
Old September 1st, 2003, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Additional Gratuities

Yes the staff do in fact get all of their tips and none of it is kept by CCL. You would hear a yell loud enough to be heard around the world if they ever tried it.
CDC must be notified if a certain percentage of passengers come down sick with the same thing. Don't be so sure to blame the Cruiseline no matter what the media likes to say. That is mainly hype. Sorry you got ill but unless it was very widespread then chances are you contracted it before you boarded, (in many cases on the plane if you flew), or you picked it up from eating or drinking something ashore. You may have also just picked it up on your hands somehwere either on the ship or off.
Jim

Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:16 AM
Admiral

I always tip the room steward (not stewart) when I first meet him or her. This lets them know we are not going to stiff them and moves our requests up their priority charts.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 2nd, 2003, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Our last cruise was close to Easter. I brought fold-up insulated lunch style bags, and filled them with "goodies"; gum, candy, nail file & clippers, small health & beauty aids, a new T-shirt from my area, small photo book, nail polish & panty hose for a female, etc. They were thrilled. Many people purchase calling cards and give those as extra gifts.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 03:52 PM
Admiral

I have to disagree with you on this one Nana. I have talked to the Stewards quite a bit both on and off ships and I have yet to see one that preferred 'goodie baskets'. They are not going to say anything because they know that you are thinking of them with your heart but they are dissappointed when they get these baskets or gifts. Every one of them have said cash is by far the best.
Jim

Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:11 PM
Yeoman

Why you even consider a goodie basket? Would you want your employer to pay you this way?
Old September 2nd, 2003, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Carol,
I am not saying that Nana is wrong or a bad person in any way. Her heart is in the right place and this is something that the crew does see and appreciate. I am just saying that from my contacts with the crew in honest one on one talks they are usually disappointed with "gifts" and would much rather have cash.
Jim