Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:53 PM
cruzbunny

Default dressing for nightlife??

I am wondering what do people wear for "hitting the bars" on the Conquest? Is it casual, dressy or what? Are shorts and t-shirts OK for this? Or should I be packing more dressy things?
Am I obsessing?
Lesley

Cruising Conquest 9/7/03
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Beginner

Default Re: dressing for nightlife??

I like to get "jacked up" for evenings on the ships. Basically, I'd wear whatever you'd wear out clubbing at home (this is assuming that "clubbing" for you doesn't mean hitting the local VFW for a game of pool and a few brewskies). I generally wear a skirt or dressy capris, and a cute top. I don't think I ever wore shorts at all during my last cruise after dinner. That doesn't mean that people DON'T, though.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 02:31 PM
cruzbunny

Thanks for the info...Now I need one more suitcase..lol
Old September 2nd, 2003, 03:40 PM
Admiral

We wear what we wore for dinner. As we dress in the recommended and suggested fashion for every meal we find that by just remaining in our dinner clothes we are approprately dressed for the evening onboard the ship.
Jim

Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:00 PM
cruzbunny

Thanks Jim. I was stressing about that. I was afraid dinner dress would be too much. My baggage handler aka hubby thanks you too.
Lesley
Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not sure if I'm following Jim's advice here. What if I choose to eat at the buffet? Are you saying then that I would have to change to go to the bars? Are shorts and T-shirts not the "suggested" attire in the bars? Are you saying that wearing less than the attire suggested for the dinning room is inappropriate?

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:01 PM
Kar06

Wear what you feel comfortable in. I have stayed in my dinner clothes on all three cruises I've been on. (we dress in the suggested attire for the dining room, since we eat all our dinners there or in the specialty restaurants)

I like to dress up, and a cruise is the perfect opportunity to wear all those dresses you only got to wear once!

That is just me personally, I know many people don't like to dress up, and just want to relax. That is what is great about a cruise. You can pretty much dress as formal or casual as you want, sometimes to the dismay of other passengers, but you can.

Celebrity Galaxy - 3/97
Carnival Fantasy - 3/99
Carnival Pride - 3/02
RCI Serenade - 11/03
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: dressing for nightlife??

Well Roscoe, You wear what you want I guess as there isn't anyone at the door to stop you but if you look around I think you will see most folks are not in shorts and t-shirts. In fact I think you will find those a small minority. Personally I would never go to a nightclub in shorts and t-shirt. That is something that my Mother taught me when I was very young, to dress nicely when going out and have respect for my appearance. To each his own and I will not say you are wrong, it is just wrong for me.
Jim

Old September 3rd, 2003, 01:18 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: dressing for nightlife??

To clarify........
In general, in the evening, "resort dress" is appropriate. That means no cut-off jean shorts with a t-shirt. In the DINING room, no shorts at all are expected. I've seen men go to change after dinner and wear the same shirt but put on NICE shorts instead of their Dockers, and for clubbing, it was fine.

Basically, make your momma proud in your dress, and more importantly, in your manners, and you'll have a great cruise. If you spy someone down the hall that looks tacky in relation to other passengers, that is what you do NOT want to wear!

An exception to this would be late night stays in Cozumel. We had partied so hard that day that paying attention to dress was not an option, nor was the dining room. We ate on the Lido Deck in our relaxed, comfortable wear, and never made it to any shows or piano bars or discoes. We were so pathetic that we just felt lucky to be alive after that day and we kicked back in the lounges on Lido until it was time to retire to bed. ** Cozumel is notoriously hard on your liver** However, we had warned our tablemates of this fact, and by golly, they were casual on Lido, too, so we all had too much fun to behave properly in the dining room!

Shinda