Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default curb side porters

how safe are we by letting the curb side porters handle our luggage? I have read that since they are not technically employees of carnival, there is no guarantee that our luggage will even get on the ship. Anyone had any problems with this issue?
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Captain

Default Re: curb side porters

After 15+ cruises, never a problem with curbside porters.

Joemo
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Tams in Tx.

Default Re: Hope for the best!

Hi Annetee,

Being a "first-timer" from all I've read and researched thus far.....leaving your luggage....even the prized possesion of your train case tends to be safe with the curb side porters it seems...ofcourse with a nice little tip! However our Hubs plans on dropping us girls off with our "don't you lose my luggage now or you'll die" baggage...they plan to drop us "baggage"....*giggle" ...with the porters ....while they park. I plan to hand over a some "better take care if it" $$'s...and a smile and will be watching them as if it'd do any good!

*seriosely though*.....We've never been on a cruise and will set sail on 10/2........all we can do is trust their previose reputations by vet cruises.....keep a close eye....fork over some tips and hope for the best!

Tams in Tx.
PS...I'll have 2 days worth of garments on my carry-on just in case though *wink*
Old September 9th, 2003, 07:12 AM
jamie gunter

Three cruises and have never had a problem! You show them your bags when you get off the bus and they put them on a luggage container to go to the ship. Then you give them a tip if you want to. I would not worry, put any valuables in your carry on.
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:01 AM
First Mate

2 cruises under the belt and not had a problem and because of my Mom's medical conditions I have a great deal of life giving equipment. I do tip them because well their working hard and I want them to know I appreciate their services. Now Mom does make sure she has certain medications to board with because it can take some time to get your luggage to the room. Only problem I have heard of in the past was another man on our first cruise was on oxygen and it took them several days to locate his concentrator. The difference between he and Mom is I carry my equipment to the ship and he had his delivered.

Carnival Spirit

Old September 9th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Admiral

They are in fact not employees of CCL or any line but they do work for the port and they don't have time to rummage around in your bags. Basically all they do is toss them into a bin to be loaded onto the ship where the room stewards deliver them to your cabin. In over 20 cruises we have not had any bags lost even though once on the Tropicale we did have to locate our bag at the Pursers desk as the tags had gotten torn off and they did not know where the bags were supposed to be delivered to. No problem.
Jim

Old September 10th, 2003, 09:56 PM
RichT

Default Re: Re: curb side porters

I wouldn't worry about the porters. Basically, they are the only way non-carryon luggage will get on the ship.

In New Orleans, I tipped the porter $5 for two bags. He said that he would make sure that they went right up to my cabin. They were there when I got to my cabin. Many people had to wait well into the evening to get their luggage.
Old September 11th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Admiral

You don't need to worry about the porters, however make sure you tip them. I got stuck with the luggage while the wife went and parked the car. Of course she had the money, and all I had on me was $3 cash, which I gave to the porter for 3 bags. One of the bags had the mesh type outside sleeves which held my good pair of sandals. When I got my luggage at the room one of the sandals was gone. This, I believe, was a message from the porter to tip more than a $1 per bag.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:16 AM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: curb side porters

Poor Thomas, did you have another pair? That stinks.
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: curb side porters

No, I didn't have another pair of sandals so I made my water shoes do for the whole trip. As cheap as I am I was not going to buy another pair of sandals on the ship.

Now the way I figured it was if the porter wanted to steal the sandals he would've taken both. If the one lost sandal had inadvertantly slipped out of the mesh sleeve, it would've been in lost and found. But neither happened, so I believe it was intentional.

$2 per bag now, and I make sure I have the cash with me.

Regards,
Thomas