CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival to cancel 3 guest rooms... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/192299-carnival-cancel-3-guest-rooms.html)

JeanS September 12th, 2003 05:52 AM

Carnival to cancel 3 guest rooms...

Yup, we just found out the other day that Carnival no longer plans to make rooms available for 3 people unless you book a suite. I for one feel this is a very bad decision, obviously not everyone can afford a suite, nor a 2nd room for a third person. I think they will find they will be losing business and going to other cruiselines that will be more accomodating. I cannot imagine a good reason for doing this, so I think it must be along the lines of greed??

When my mother & I cruised a few years ago, my sister would not have been able to join us in this once-in-a-lifetime adventure (my mother is unable to do that now due to health problems) if she had to purchase a separate cabin. Fortunately we were able to do so and have those fond memories for a lifetime!

Any other views on this subject?

Post Edited (09-12-03 06:59)

GJG September 12th, 2003 06:14 AM

Re: Carnival to cancel 3 guest rooms...

Ditto all the above! In fact, we're in the same situation. We took my mother along with us on the Fantasy, and have booked the Inspiration for her 81st birthday. I'll be going straight to Carnival's site to request their reconsideration of this matter.

Moonglws4u September 12th, 2003 08:32 AM

I'm very surprised by this. I have cruised with 3 on the Pride and I have to agree that this can't be a good business decision. Think I will email my TA at Carnival to get the scoop.

jaunitta56 September 12th, 2003 10:43 AM

I have emailed Carnival and have not gotten a response to this. Am concerned as we are booked on Inspiration for Feb 04 for 3 people. Wonder what will happen. Where did you get this information for this....? Thanks

Kuki September 12th, 2003 10:58 AM

The fact that Carnival is a family oriented cruise lines leaves me VERY suspect of this report.
I think it's HIGHLY unlikely they would even consider such a step!!!!

Also, even it were true, this is a major enough change that Carnival would have issued a press release.

AKcruiser September 12th, 2003 12:23 PM

Kuki,

Please keep us posted if you hear anything about this. I no longer need a 3 person cabin, but if this comes to pass, alot of people will be affected. How about 4 to a cabin?

AKcruiser

Jim Bragg September 12th, 2003 02:01 PM

Re: Re: Carnival to cancel 3 guest rooms...

Now this has got to be wrong. I have heard nothing like this and am sure it would have been in a press release. In addition quite a large number of cabins are designed specifically for three and four people. Maybe they are not allowing a third person in a double cabin with a rollaway which they never should have done in the first place. Until and unless you hear specifically from Carnival or read it in our news section I would not believe that CCL, or any cruiseline for that matter, is going to stop allowing 3 or 4 in a cabin built specifically for that many people.
Jim

GJG September 12th, 2003 02:39 PM

Thank you for visiting Carnival Cruise Lines on the World Wide Web. In
regards to your query, on the majority of our ships, you can have up
to 5 guests in 1 stateroom, depending on the availability. On the newer
ships, you can only have up to 4 in 1 stateroom, again, based on
availability. If there is anything else I can do for you, please don't
hesitate to ask and thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Lines.

AKcruiser September 12th, 2003 07:50 PM

Jim,

I agree with you. I tried to get connecting cabins on the Pride last year with 3 in one room and 2 in the other. When the agent tried to book it the computer wouldn't let him.

Those wanting to book a 3rd passenger may have to get a family stateroom which can accomodate up to 5 people and are bigger!!! but not as pricey as a suite.

AKcruiser

JeanS September 12th, 2003 09:56 PM

Well, GJG, I don't know if that was a pre-programmed response you got, but my TA spoke to Carnival directly and was told that they would no longer allow rollaways in a stateroom meant for 2. I don't know about "family staterooms", but they did say they would not allow a rollaway, as when my sister, mother & I cruised together on the Holiday....

Kuki September 12th, 2003 10:22 PM

Ah.. not allowing rollaways is quite different than not allowing a 3rd person in a room. There are still cabins available with 3rd and 4th berths, which you could book.

WeLove2Cruise September 13th, 2003 12:59 AM

Kuki & Jim -

Just so you know, and the rest of you as well -

I spoke to Carnival yesterday regarding this issue. If you look elsewhere in this forum you will see our post regarding an "Incredible Upgrade!".

The reason we received this upgrade is BECAUSE Carnival's upper management has made a decision that they will no longer allow a Rollaway to be placed in a cabin with only two beds. They plan to implement this FLEET WIDE throughout the coming year. Since we had already booked 3 in each of two rooms, they gave us the FREE upgrade to Category 12 Suites. I doubt very much they would have done this if they were not implementing this new policy, don't you think?

Kuki, you stated:

"not allowing rollaways is quite different than not allowing a 3rd person in a room"

How do you figure? Where would you expect the 3rd person to sleep if not in a rollaway? On the floor perhaps? Standing upright in the shower? I think your comment should have been a little more thoughtful and thought out.

Cabins that have uppers built-in will still allow multiple guests as everyone would imagine. Jean did not say they were removing all uppers and no longer allowing guests to sleep in them. The only cabins that are effected by this new rule are 2-bed cabins.

Here is the name and direct phone number of the person I spoke to at Carnival if you would like more information on the subject:

Tiffany - Guest Access Services
(800)438-6744 ext. 23014

Hope that clarifies this -

Ron

GJG September 13th, 2003 05:07 AM

I agree with Kuki. The response I posted earlier was a cut + paste of Carnival's reply to my inquiry. It was not a form letter. The ship's cabins are specifically designed to accomadate 2, 3, 4 or more guests. Some have single uppers, double uppers etc. I can appreciate Carnival's decision to ban rollaways. I imagine it creates a houskeeping nightmare. And worse yet, a potential blocking of fire exit routes. If you are traveling with 3 or more, simply book a cabin designed to accomadate that number of guests. And as Carnival stated, availability rules.

MichelleM September 13th, 2003 09:42 AM

I saw the next cruise you booked was on a Fantasy class ship, the Paradise. After a 6D comes cat. 11 and 12 suites, those are the only balconies on the ship. So while it is a great upgrade it is only 2 catagories up on that particular ship.

I don't have a problem if they phase out rollaways, there are plenty of triple and quad dedicated cabins (with either sleeper sofas or pull down bunks) to accomodate those who need the larger cabin. My one experience with a rollaway was most definately a fire hazard if something were to happen at night.

I believe they never allowed rollaways to even be put on the Spirit class ships and I guess they are just phasing them off the rest now.

Kar06 September 13th, 2003 11:37 AM

On the Pride last year I slept on the sofa. My parents and I shared a cabin. The sofa didn't have a bed that pulled out or anything. The steward would just put some sheets and stuff on it. It was comfy.

So three can be in a room w/o any upper berths at all.

kgillierq September 13th, 2003 12:23 PM

I booked on the inspiration about a month ago - a cat. 6A with 2 uppers and a rollaway. I haven't heard back that they aren't allowing this. We sail in Feb.2004. Maybe we will be one of the lucky ones and get a suite. One can only hope!

Kellie

Kuki September 13th, 2003 12:59 PM

<<<Kuki, you stated:

"not allowing rollaways is quite different than not allowing a 3rd person in a room"

How do you figure? Where would you expect the 3rd person to sleep if not in a rollaway? On the floor perhaps? Standing upright in the shower? I think your comment should have been a little more thoughtful and thought out.>>>>>>

Actually it was the confusion of the original post I was trying to address
<<<
Author: JeanS (adsl-63-199-201-42.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-12-03 05:52

Yup, we just found out the other day that Carnival no longer plans to make rooms available for 3 people unless you book a suite>>>

Carnival does have also has some cabins with sofa beds, and others with bunks that come down from ceiling. The point I was making was that people would STILL be able to book cabin appropriate for 3 people, without having to book double occupancy cabins only. The options for 3 still exist, just not using rollaways in cabins equipped with only 2 beds.

Jim Bragg September 13th, 2003 03:59 PM

Ak, you CAn book a cabin that hold three people with one being a bunk or a sofa BUT none of the connecting cabins on this class ship, (Spirit Class), are configured that way. All the connection cabins are doubles with the except of some Cat 8C's that are connected to a Cat 11.
Jim

Jim Bragg September 13th, 2003 04:02 PM

Jean,
A roll-a-way is NOT a triple and never should have been considered so and I have a feeling that a number of TA's were trying to sell that way. There are in fact triples and quad cabins that are designed for that many people, they just don't want to use rollaways in double cabins and that is a good thing as that is really unacceptable.
Jim

JeanS September 13th, 2003 11:54 PM

Jim,

Well, the stateroom my sister, mother & I were in was sold to us as a triple, so obviously it was okay with Carnival, not just TAs.

And why would you say it's not acceptable? They brought in the rollaway at night, and it was gone during the day, I didn't see any problem at all....

Lisa September 14th, 2003 01:16 AM

Uh, Jean......it's a safety issue. What if the ship hit rough waters ( it happens - not all sailings are smooth as glass) and all of a sudden there was a lot of pitch or roll? The person in the rollaway (a bed on WHEELS) would be at more of a risk since they are in an unsecured berth. It is a safety issue, and I for one applaud this decision by Carnival. The rollaways were probably done as a convenience for the passengers (and some extra revenue for the cruise line as the cabin was clearly NOT meant for three people) - but they are a safety issue. I would never allow myself or anyone I love to sleep in a rollaway on a ship that moves (side to side, up and down, etc.) There are many cabins with third and fourth secure berths that will continue to be sold.

Jim Bragg September 14th, 2003 11:17 AM

Jean,
Simple, even though CCL has some of the largest standard cabins afloat if you place a rollaway in there you essentually end up with one huge bed that goes from one side of the cabin to another. I do not choose to sleep what would amount to three to a bed. It is NOT okay to sell a double as a triple. I had a TA try and do this to me once and never mentioned it would be a rollaway, just said it was a triple. As the third person was my adult sister-in-law it was totally unacceptable. We may be 'country' but we aren't all willing to sleep in what is essentually the same bed! After I discovered this assigned cabin was a douoble I called the TA and they stated they considered it a triple as CCL could put in a rollaway. I did enough screaming and yelling and threatening that they admitted there were no triples available so sold me a double counting on the rollaway. They finally upgraded us to a balcony triple at no cost to us. The fact remains that a rollaway does not make the cabin a triple and it should never be advertised as such or sold that way, especially without the customers knowledge and permission. In addition there is a maximum number of people a ship is supposed to carry and it is based on every berth being full and does NOT count rollaways. I for one am glad to see the cruiselines finally saying no to this practice. I paid for a bed, not a cot to be stuck in there like a campout.
Jim

Post Edited (09-14-03 11:22)