Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Beginner

Default SEA BANDS

Do seabands actually work? This will be my first cruise and I'm hoping not to get sea sick but I am going prepared. I go fishing on the great lakes and tend to get seasick out there. I don't want to take anything to make me sleepy but I don't want to be flat on my back in my room for 7 days either. Leaving this sunday on the Paradise! Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: SEA BANDS

I suppose they work because a lot of people wear them.

I go offshore fishing often and never go without Dramamine after my first episode with sea-sickness years ago. However, I've never taken anything on a cruise ship because the ship doesn't really move that much. If the seas are kicked up a bit you might feel some movement under your feet when walking on the deck but that's about it. In really rough seas you might sway a little.

I can recommend Dramamine No-Drowsy Formula though if you don't want to take a chance. And a cold Michelob helps too.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Passenger

I remember one time i went whale watching and i was very sea sick, i thought luckily, i packed my seaband, so i put them on. Not only did i think they did not work, but they almost cut off my circulation and left a nasty looking imprint on my wrists that lasted a few days (and i only had them on for a few hours)

i use Dramamine NO drowsy too, I love it. Also try gingerale and/or peppermint gum if you feel sick
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: SEA BANDS

The bobbing of a small boat in 3 ft seas will probably be 10 times worse than anything you will experience on a cruise ship.
Sea Bands do work (how I have no idea). Part ,I'm sure, is psycological and part physiological. My granddaughter gets very car sick, but with her seabands on (she calls them her magic bands) she has no problems at all.
If you think you might have a problem can it hurt to have them? Nope.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:26 PM
First Mate

I just came back from the Paradise - you could definitely feel the motion of the ship. I found that taking one bonamine did not make me drowsy (taking two definitely did!). I also wore sea bands for the last two days and it helped a great deal. I probably should be taking Bonamine now, because I'm going through the dizziness that everyone talks about. Hope it goes away soon!
\
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:47 PM
southlilac00

I highly recommend sea bands.....they also help when you are drunk, take it from me!
southlilac00
09.21.03 Conquest
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Captain

Where can we optain the seabands.....we sail in November. Usually that time of year is smooth waters I have heard....but just in-case!!!

Sensation

Old September 17th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Mary M.

My prescription plan is thru merck-medco and they also sell otc meds and "stuff". I ordered two sets thru them and then came today. I was seasick once on a cruise as a teen and this is my DH's first cruise, so didn't want to go unprepared. Also ordered some bonine.
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Passenger

i had bought mine at CVS, so I am sure that any drugstore would have them
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Bomby

I tried them and they didn't work at all for me. I wuld take a back-up, such as Non-Drowsy Dramamine, just in case they don't work for you.
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Admiral

My husband & I always take one Bonine in the morning, non-drowsy and never a problem.

Have fun!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 18th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Any major drug chain in the same place they sell the Bonine and Dramamine.
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Ed Steele

The sea bands only work if you put them on the right pressure point. That point is where your wrist crinkles right in the center. Pull it too far back and it doesn't work as well. You can buy the bands at the ships store. Unfortunately, that isn't when you get on the ship. I found the most movement when we left port because of all the turns. Otherwise it wasn't that noticeable.

Ed
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Im a Bonine fan myself....... and I tend to get woosy even on the big ships.

Carnival Spirit

Old September 18th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Super Steph

I took Sea Bands with me on the Celebration. I thought they worked great, but they will leave on imprint on your wrist. I think you might want a back up too, in case they don't work. The ship didn't sway much until the last sea day and then the wind was up high so the waves made the ship rock.
You can get Sea Bands at Wal-mart if yours has a pharmacy. They keep them behind the counter, but you can ask for them. They are about 8 dollars for a pair.
Happy Sailing!!!
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Southlilac00

I got mine from Eckerds!
Southlilac00
09.21.03 Conquest!!!!