Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:12 AM
First Mate

Default leaving out of Long Beach

Has anyone sailed from the new port Carnival has in Long Beach? Or stayed on the Queen Mary? Any info would be great. Leaving on the Pride in Oct. Thanks!!
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:32 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie
Default Re: leaving out of Long Beach

Well, I don't have much for you in the way of information but what I can tell you is what I saw. I just happened to be in So Cal this weekend and when I read in the paper that this Sunday was the first time the Pride had arrived in Long Beach I had to go see for myself. We are sailing in November. The terminal looks much nicer than the one in San Pedro. The ship is Awesome! We went on the Elation last year and thought that was really something. This one looks bigger and better. I am even more excited now!! I did walk over to the Queen Mary and talk to the people there. They said we just go there for early check in, all our paperwork is done there. Then we should take our luggage to be checked and thats it....wait to board when its time. It sounds easy enough so I am hoping that someone who has actually been through the process will answer your post.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

My sister went through the new terminal -- in and out a lot faster. Wish I could offer more.

Going on Pride's sister, Spirit, next month for the second time. It's a great class of ship!

Harry
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

We stayed on the Queen Mary before we sailed on the Escasty on July 4th of this year. It was very convienent and we left our car in their lot for a little less than Carnival charges. Just remember that the ship is very old and the rooms reflect that. Our room had two port holes that were way up high. I needed a chair to see out of them. It was very exciting when we woke up early the next morning to see our ship docking. We hurridly dressed and went up to the bow of the QM and got a birds eye view of the ship. It was so close that we could hear the crew making the morning announcements.

Have a great trip!
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:36 PM
MichelleM

We are sailing on the Pride this coming sunday, 9/28.

This is what I have found out, for our sailing. If you call the Queen Mary directly and tell them you are sailing on Carnival you can get a special rate $99/night which is a little cheaper then their base rate online. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Long Beach. Got it on Orbitz for cheaper then the QM, they have a park and stay package if you are driving to the port and they have a free shuttle to and from the port. If you have kids they eat free at the Holiday Inn restaurant.

You can check in early at the QM and get rid of your luggage. You can tour the QM if you choose, I believe it is $8-9/pp or take a cab out to do something in Long Beach.

Check out www.visitlongbeach.com
It is their tourism website with lots of good info about the area (attractions, hotels, restaurants, ect.). They have a discounts/coupons part of the page that is worth checking out.
Old September 24th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Captain

We sailed on the Pride last November. Out of 7 Carnival cruises that was our favorite ship!!! Have fun

AKcruiser

Old September 24th, 2003, 11:38 PM
nyjintsfan

i also took a drive from las vegas to long beach this past weekend to see the pride. she is wonderful massive goregeuos.we wanted to see where we are going and park .th terminal looks great also.we also decided after our drive down that we would come down the night before and stay at the holiday downtown.i just found a 89 dollar rate there for a sat, and it looks nice convienient also to the terminal. sailing on the pride november 9th.
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:25 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: leaving out of Long Beach

We are sailing on the 9th also! I wish I would have had time to look around Long Beach for hotels when we were there but we just didn't have that kind of time. You got a great rate. I booked a room online at the Coast Long Beach, which is practically a stones throw from the ship...right before you go over that bridge into town. We are paying $139, which includes breakfast and they will keep the car for us. Will your hotel keep your car for the week and shuttle you to the ship? If so, I need to make a few phone calls and change hotels. See you soon!!!

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Paradise - Sept 2005
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Elation - Nov 2002
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:27 PM
nyjintsfan

Default Re: Re: Re: leaving out of Long Beach

HEY MELANIE THEY DO let you keep the car there,we decided we are going to drive over if there are tons of people for a shuttle. my thinkn is that when we disembark that there will be tons of people going to the hotel for there cars and i dont want to hang around when we disembark i would like to have my vehicle to head to vegas asap.so wea re going to play by ear and see how many are taking the shuttle.now one thing i seen a cheaper rate for coast hotel on hoteldiscount.com when i was checking things out.it was under a c-note but i know they were filling up pretty fast and most people there are prolly going cruising.when i disembark i want my truck and my music asap.
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:00 PM
First Mate

Thanks, I will check out the hoteldiscount.com site. I supposed we could cancel and rebook through them?? The reason we were staying there was because of the car situation. I didn't want to pay for a hotel AND still have to pay for $10 a day to park the car in the Carnival lot.

Last year we stayed at the closest hotel we could find to the terminal in San Pedro. I got a great deal on Priceline.com. A four star hotel for $45. The thing is, I already knew there was only ONE four star hotel in San Pedro so I knew where we would be placed before bidding. This time I would have no idea where we would end up so I had to just do it the normal way. Dummy me, I never thought to check websites like the one you mentioned. Anyway...we did the hotel shuttle thing and it worked out pretty good. The hotel had several vans so we didnt have to wait too long. I can understand your problem though in not wanting to wait around once you get back. I sure dont envy that drive of yours back to Vegas!

Thanks for the info though, I would most definately like to try to find a cheaper rate. I need to save all the money I can to spend on the ship...lol.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Paradise - Sept 2005
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Elation - Nov 2002
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:45 AM
First Mate

Thanks for all the info ppl. I too am staying on the Queen Mary the night b4 our cruise. They offered cruisers a $99 rate and they share the parking lot with Carnival. I figure if we flew the parking price would be the same so we might as well drive and have our car right there to take off as soon as we get released.
Enjoy your cruise all!!
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: leaving out of Long Beach

How fun for you, BrwEyedGirl, getting to stay on the Queen Mary! I looked into that but the cabins are for two only and there are 4 in my family, 8 total in our group. I didnt want to pay for two cabins so we had to look somewhere else. We know that Nyjintsfan is drivig from Las Vegas, we are driving from Kingsburg...where are you coming from?

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Paradise - Sept 2005
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Elation - Nov 2002
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:34 PM
TomS

I sailed from the port of Long Beach in April. The port is nice, but a little spread out. Be sure to bring your walking shoes, and don't hesitate to use the porters. They do earn their tips at this port. You can check in on the Queen Mary if you arrive early. There are plenty of good hotels nearby in downtown Long Beach. Hope you have fun!

TomS