Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Uh oh

Default What if you miss the ship?

What do you do if you miss the ship in one of the ports? We are travelling to Cozumel, GC and Jamaica. Am a little concerned. When they state that the ship leaves at 5, for example, can you still get on board at 4:50? Some of our group likes to cut it a little too close!
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:35 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What if you miss the ship?

If your friends like to cut it close then be prepared to wave goodbye from the pier. They will NOT wait for you under any circumstances.

We were on Carnival Pride this summer and 21 people were left behind in Cozumel, meaning they had to find transportation back to Port Canaveral on their own since the final day was a day at sea. Not only that, but we left Cozumel two hours early because a hurricane was coming through. So I'm sure they couldn't get a flight out that day and had to find accommodations during a storm. Don't worry, Carnival warned everyone continuously over the two previous days that they day would be shortened.

If the ship leaves at 5 p.m., you are required to be onboard at 4:30 p.m. Frankly, anyone who wants to cut it close by 10 minutes deserves to be left behind. You never know when traffic or something else might delay you.

Personally, I like to be back onboard an hour before we set sail. The expense of airfare to the next port has to be very expensive.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:35 PM
Passenger

When they say they leave at 5:00 -- they pull out at 5:00!! They make an announcement that you should reboard at 4:30. If you miss the ship for whatever reason - you are responsible to get yourself to the next port at your own expense. And rightfully so.

We just got back from our cruise and I know we were leaving Playa del Carmen at 4:00PM. I was standing up on the front deck and at 4:00 the gang plank was no longer up, they were pulling in the ropes and we were moving out. Of couse, I was a happy cruiser -- had my drink in hand, ocean breeze in my face and we were heading out to sea! What a wonderful world cruisin' happens to be!!

Awwww - but I digress -- To answer your question - I would say 4:50 would be cutting it a little close!! Have a great time!! :-)
Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:39 PM
Admiral

If the ship departs before you can get back onboard, (and believe it, they do leave exactly on-time and they will not wait), you will have to arrange your own transportation to either the next port or back home, whichever you want. It will also be totally at your expense. There is no if's and's or but's about it, you aren't there, they leave anyway and that means anyone including crew who would probably be fired as well.
Jim

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:48 PM
Yeoman

All of the above is very true. If you take no ones advice, take these to heart. Forget all the others in your group. Be back on board no later than 30-45 minutes prior to sailing.
Like others that have been on cruises, I have seen people left on the dock screaming,
" WAIT ! You Can't Leave"! But they do !
Hope you enjoy your cruise. We just returned from those ports, and we had a blast.
Happy Cruising;
David
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:07 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: What if you miss the ship?

There is one exception to what the other posters have stated. If you are on a tour that you booked on the ship and the tour is delayed for some reason, they will hold the ship until those people have returned. Otherwise you are on your own.
Old September 24th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Keep in mind too that if you are left behind and can't get to the next port to catch the ship but must return home, you still have to get your personal belongings off the ship when it returns to it's home port. This can be a major headache and much more expense.

Don't cut it close. If you're travelling with slow-pokes leave them behind to get back to the ship 30 minutes before departure.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 24th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its always amazed me as to how close the ship does stay on schedule. We always plan on getting back onboard an hour before leaving, just in case. You'll always hear horror stories about cruisers being left behind, I wouldn't cut it that close.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Jim Munkittrick

Please, be sure to have your friends taht like to cut it close carry a camera or videocamera.

That way they can get some really great shots of you waving goodbye to them as they stand on the pier and you head out to sea.
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Two weeks ago on the Paradise ship, we were told to be back on the ship from Roatan at 2:30, with the ship departing at 3pm. At 3:00, they started announcing names of people not yet back on the ship (it sounded like a group of family members - same names, close cabin numbers). They kept calling and calling. At 3:25, they started removing the lines that secure the ship. At 3:28, a van came racing through the gates with the side door open and people frantically screaming. They raced right up to the ramp and you never saw 6 people jump out of a car so fast and run up the ramp! The ship left less than one minute later. Apparently, they were on their own tour and something happened. Based on that one and only experience, I would say that they MIGHT wait a very few minutes but I wouldn't count on it. All other ports, they left exactly on time. Tell your friends not to be foolish (or inconsiderate to others) and their @#%$# back on the ship in plenty of time!
Old September 24th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Uh Oh

After reading all the posts, getting back to the ship an hour before sailing sounds like wise advise. I'll ditch the group if I have to. Taking all the information seriously, I've decided not to do a Dolphin Swim . They only had one slot left at 3:30 and the ship leaves at 6. Sifting through the information on their website makes you think an hour is all you need, but thanks to this site, looks like it takes 2. And that would be cutting it too close too. Personally, am not willing to miss the ship. Hope my travelmates take it seriously too.

Thank you all for the valuable information.
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Captain

we have the Dolphin Encounter at 3:30 and the Conquest leaves at 6:00.
I figure 30-45 minutes for the swim, and a taxi ride back we should still make the ship by 5:00................were gonna do it

Sensation

Old September 26th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Joie,

You will likely be cutting it very close and will more than likely miss the ship. There is an orientation period that lasts 20 minutes or so and also they never start on time. My advice, do not do the excusrion at 3:30. Of course, do as you want, but one of two things will happen (I now because I saw it happen when I was there). First, you will have to leave the swim before the better parts are started, or secondly, you will miss the ship.

Good luck

IUJawbreaker

RSSC Mariner
Old September 26th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Uh Oh

Default Re: Re: Re: What if you miss the ship?

Joie, ,

I hope you make it! I had looked at the Ecounter myself, but the Dolphin website didn't have it available for Cozumel on the day our ship will be in port. I was quite disappointed, as I thought the encounter would take less time than the swim.

If you book it through the ship, then the ship would wait for you according to all the helpfull folks here.

Good luck and have a great cruise and encounter!
Old September 26th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Another thing to remember is that depending on the ship, ship's time and local time can be different! Some ships stay on ship's time the whole cruise, other's change time as they go from time zone to time zone. That can make it even more confusing!

As for the dolphin swim - we booked the last swim of the day thinking we had three hours total to do the swim and get back to the ship. Well, we stayed on ship's time not local time which cut it to two hours. There were 15 of us (8 did the swim and the rest watched and recorded it for us) and the last of the group got back to the ship 10 minutes before sailaway...NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Old September 26th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Uh Oh

That was too close for comfort. I do like the poster above who suggested waiting with a camcorder.
Old September 27th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Passenger

If your ship leaves at 5:00 and you are getting on board at 4:50, they are not very happy with you. We watched people getting back on late and the staff was very annoyed. Can't say that I blame them. "Be back on board by 4:30" means be back on board by 4:30.

Old September 27th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Just bring your camera so if you miss the ship you can take pics of it leaving port! LMAO
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:43 PM
TomS

The only reason the ship will wait is if a ship-sponsored shore tour is running late. They tell you to be on board 30 minutes before the ship is scheduled to leave, AND THEY AREN'T KIDDING! The ship leaves promptly when it is scheduled. There are people who have speed boats in the port that will pick up passengers and take them to the ship, but they aren't cheap. My advise, always plan to be back on board at least one hour before departure.

TomS
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Captain

We will be on central time which is the same as Cozumel...we leave out of New Orleans on Conquest. So if we swim at 3:30 should be done and back to the ship by 5:00...ship leaves at 6PM, so I think we will be ok....gonna try it anyway...got to, may never get back there....and if we have to stay...oh well it's the last port and we can party before we go broke going home......
So it sounds like our other friends CAN be close enough to video tape it ourselves...IS THAT RIGHT, or will they be too far away to see......anyone know?
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

joie - don't forget that the ride back to the pier is dictated by traffic, etc.....and Dolphin Discovery also tapes and photos the swim and they do have some really good photos of you and the dolphins, but that also takes time. I would add at least another half hour to your time there. ANd yes, your friends can get close to you.....in fact they walked out on the pier with us and they were allowed to stay on the pier right above us as we went down to the underwater platform.

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Gee

I just returned from the Carnival Pride. (Had a wonderful time) While in Mazatlan the bridge blew the ship horn twice for one passenger who was running behind. The information desk kept making announcements requesting a female passenger/employee to report to the information desk. The ship started departing from the peir and guess who arrived late? Yes you are right. The passenger or employee arrived a late and missed the ship. We never did figure out whether it was an employee or a passenger. From the top of the bridge she seemed like someone who missed the ship and was not happy.

- G
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Admiral

That's a very good point about whether the ship leaves on local time or ship time. We almost missed it once because we didn't know. Thinking we still had an hour to kill we noticed the water taxi to the ships berth had shut down for the evening. Astounded, we recognized at that moment we were on local time and the ship was leaving in a couple of minutes and we were on the other side of the bay. A $25 bribe to the water taxi captain got us to the gangplank just in time.

Regards,
Thomas