Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:16 PM
onealpha

Default Couples Helping Singles....?

Ok, this is a question for all married persons out there or single if you'd like. My friend and I are going cruising on Triumph October 4th. We are both single, hetero, healthy men in our mid thirties. Now my question is based on my belief that when your in a relationship you gain a perspective on all of the single things that you left behind. Kind of like the, "If I knew then what I know now", statement. Since this is my first time ever on a cruise I would like to maximize the experience and maybe gain some insight from a different perspective. My number one priority is to have fun, relax, and blow off some steam. All these things I will do without effort, but I sure wouldn't mind having fun with some single women. What I would really like to know from either sex is what pearls of wisdom could you pass along from your previous cruise experiences. I am sure some of you have some good stuff. Thanks in advance for a great forum.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:31 AM
tfreem

Default Re: Couples Helping Singles....?

Hi onealph, GREAT question and I sure wish I had asked the same. My girlfriend and I are early 30's singles, and just returned from our first cruise aboard the Imagination to Grand Cayman and Jamaica (wow!) My girlfriend and I were in the same shoes, looking to relax and have a good time, but really would have enjoyed spending time with some single guys. We think we messed up by not attending the singles activities the first night on the boat, so you probably definitely want to try that. We did some bar-hopping the second night, but were a bit disappointed in the atmospheres of the various dance bars, mostly an older crowd. The Lido pool and bars is a good hangout. We enjoyed the karaoke at night and the piano sing-a-long looked interesting. We had a little luck, met one single guy from our ship on the Hell/Turtle Farm/Stingray City shore excursion that was traveling alone who asked us to take his picture. In doing so, we realized he was alone and started tagging along with him, offering to take his picture and ended up spending quite a bit of the cruise with him. We offered him our cabin number (he could call us or come by if he wanted) and mentioned the activities we planned on attending that evening in case he wanted to come join us. He did and we had a GREAT time. He even ran into us and bought us shots and drinks at Margaritaville and got us a cab back to the ship, definitely a plus. We met another guy on a shore excursion, too, as well as another couple that we enjoyed hanging out with and spent some meal time and activities on the ship with. Best advice I can give you is talk to people and SMILE, being friendly, asking them questions about what they're doing on shore excursions, activities, what they've found good to do on the boat, etc. It'll all come naturally from there. Another piece of advice, do exchange email addresses or some kind of contact info with those you meet. We found that even though we didn't think of that, we really would like to talk to our new found cruise friends again. Good luck! Let me know if I can help with any other questions.
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:59 AM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Couples Helping Singles....?

I think you have gotten some good advise from the last post. Don't isolate and be where the action is. Pick your loung chairs on lido very carefully and maybe not go after the hotest chicks on board but maybe the friendliest your know "with a good personality." Ask them to dance, buy them a drink, and there are all kinds of questions to start with "where are you from?" I think you get it and should have fun. Don't look for long term relationships but just fun at the time.
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Admiral

There are plenty of singles aboard who are interested in finding people like you too. Attend the singles get together the first night and strike up some conversation. You might ask some one who interests you to join you on a shore excursion.

Also post on the Singles Forum on this site to see if you can meet people before hand who are going on this same cruise.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:42 PM
onealpha

Thank you for the great advice. I am looking forward to this cruise more and more each day. Reading this forum just is just making me look forward to it even more. Singles acivities the first night is exactly what we will do. WIth so many different things to do on such a big ship and so many different people it is nice to hear a perspective from someone that was in the same shoes. I guess Lido deck lounge chair placement will take a little scoping out, but I promise to focus on the friendly smiling faces and not concentrate too much on the hottest chicks , however difficult that may be I won't be that shallow. Oh yeah, no long term relationships. That shouldn't be too hard I will take your advice and post in the Singles forum and ultimately I am looking to have a great time. Thanks again for the great advice and I will report back after the cruise. So keep em coming. - Michael
Old September 26th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Attend and participate in the various activities. My favorite one is the Austin Powers dance class, what a hoot that was! There are many things to do while at sea. Another favorite of our family as a matter of fact was afternoon tea. Look in the Capers for when and where. Fine music, tea and pastries. Just be out there. Take lots of pictures and have fun.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to prince_charming_68

I was basically in the same boat as you (no pun intended). I'm 35, single, and was simply looking to relax and blow off some steam, but also went into it with an open mind and see what would happen. The one thing that happened to me was that I went to one of the day shows early in the cruise and was picked to go onstage for a trivia show (had a wild looking shirt on) and had a blast. The CD asked everyone about themselves etc.... and I of course mentioned that I was single. I had NO idea the impact that this would have on the rest of my trip! I literally met more single women that week than I had in the previous 2 years..lol. I even had mothers and grandmothers trying to introduce me to their daughters & grandaughters..etc. I, of course, had the time of my life. My advice to you is to get involved in as many of the activities as possible and just let yourself be seen. Hope this helps