CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cozumel Chankanaab Park (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/192474-cozumel-chankanaab-park.html)

bc3536 September 25th, 2003 12:18 AM

Cozumel Chankanaab Park

This is my first cruise and we are going to Cozumel. In an earlier post someone put out a great itinerary for there. My question is about Chankanaab Park and should I pack towel to use there or can I borrow a few from the ship.
Thank you.

lallybrock September 25th, 2003 12:30 AM

Re: Cozumel Chankanaab Park

The ship will supply towels for you to take ashore but be sure not to loose them. They will charge you around $20 per towel to replace them. It could be quit easy to loose in the sea of white towels. Some do not want to take the chance & bring their own or rent. I took the chance & just kept my towel with me at all times. When we went snorkeling I looked it in a locker with my other stuff. (Chakanaab does have lockers)

bc3536 September 25th, 2003 12:36 AM

Thank you, you not only anwered one of my questions but two. I was wondering if the had lockers at Chankanaab. I was told to get there early to get an umbrella and chairs. Would our stuff be ok if we left it on the chairs while we snorkel. (Not money of course)
Also do you suggest anything we should do in Cozumel.
Thanks again.

atlantamoi September 25th, 2003 02:10 PM

We just got back from being in Chankanaab last week. Enjoyed it. The lockers are free... just find one with a key in it and it's yours. The snorkel equipment was $6.00 per person. The lagoon is no longer used for snorkeling (if it ever was).... which is fine because the area just off the beach is great for snorkeling. There are two outdoor restaurants there and they aren't really cheap. $2.00 for a Coke and $2.00 for bottled water. Food prices are in alignment with that. If you put your towel or sunbathing stuff on a chair I would think it's fairly safe while you are in the water.

We booked a dolphin snorkel swim through the Dolphin Discovery website and saved $100 by doing this ourselves instead of with the ship (Carnival Conquest). The taxi ride from the port is $10.00 one way which was weird to me. It's only a 3 kilometer drive with no traffic. NYC is cheaper than that. The shops around the port were enough for us to find some cool things. Our only regret is not getting off our boat earlier to spend more time at the park snorkeling. The dolphin swim was really cool.

We got into the park for free (instead of $10.00) since we signed up for the dolphin swim... and also a free showing of the sea lion show.... kind of more geared towards kids. I believe these are specials for the next few months.

Anyway, it was a nice experience!

AKcruiser September 25th, 2003 02:30 PM

atlantamoi,

Can you go watch the people doing the dolphin swim instead of participating?

AKcruiser

atlantamoi September 25th, 2003 03:52 PM

Yes, you can watch... I'm not sure how close you can officially get, but it was okay to stand on the other side of the water "cage".... I'd say about 30 yards from the action.
You might be able to walk on the dock area near the participation, but I have a feeling they won't allow it because they videotape and photograph the swim with their own video people. FYI, pics were $14 for the dolphin stuff... a little less if you get a photo with a bird. After we did the dolphin swim they made us sit in a room and watch a short video that the person filmed on the fly. In a way I was miffed about this, BUT we did get to watch ourselves on tape at least once. I don't want to pay $40 for the video.

AKcruiser September 25th, 2003 03:56 PM

alantamoi,

Thanks for the info

AKcruiser

sls September 26th, 2003 12:30 PM

If it's 3 kilometers from the ship to the park can you walk it? Walking is what I do for exercise and wouldn't mind having a destination.

sls

Joie September 26th, 2003 01:46 PM

Do you know how long it takes to get the video ready to buy? We have a swim scheduled in November, but had to take the 3:30 one as it was only one avail. And we have to be back at the ship by 5:30 I think (CONQUEST). Do they offer to mail them to you ?
Thanks

excitedcruiser September 26th, 2003 01:49 PM

We were there back in June and took a cab to the park. It is too far to walk. It cost us 10.00 for the cab each way. They have cabs waiting at the entrance for when you are ready to return to ship. Take a cab back to town to The Forum. It's at the end of the shopping strip. We ate lunch at Pancho's Backyard. It was pretty good. For Vanilla, we went off the strip and bought it at a grocery store for 1.82 a litre. Then spent the evening at Fat Tuesdays, right off the Puerta Maya Pier. You can find information on Chankanaab Park at www.cozumelinsider.com. Enjoy

Stefanie September 27th, 2003 02:45 AM

Joie,

By the time we walked back up from the swim area and changed our clothes the videos were ready. Doesn't take long at all. If you happen to be leaving the area and one of the photographers is nearby (they walked back up with us) tell them you are interested in the video and you have to leave pretty quick to get back to your ship in time. They are very accomodating and will hurry up to get it ready for you. If you buy it, be sure when you get back to the ship that you have them hand check it and not x-ray it or it will erase your video. I asked the security screener and he was very nice and hand checked my video.

Joie September 28th, 2003 06:43 PM

Thanks for the info..and the tip about the x-ray on the video.NEVER would have thought of that.......would hate to have it erased.........YIKES!!!!