Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Captain

Default Cave Tubing in Belize

Does anyone know the cost of the cave tubing offered on the ships in Belize? My hubby won't even consider a private tour that takes you an hour and a half away from the ship. A local one that we could get back on our own would be ok , but not this one. Also, is there any time left for some dock side shopping before we sail? How tough is the mile walk to the river?

Thanks,

AKcruiser

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2003, 08:54 PM
jamie gunter

Default Re: Cave Tubing in Belize

I believe it was $85 a person for the ships tour. That was back in Febuary, so the price could go up or down.
Old September 28th, 2003, 10:18 AM
jamie gunter

Sorry, didnt see ya wanted to know about the walk. It is about a 45 minute walk. It is up a incline, and you are walking on gravel. It can be tireing, and it can be hot. You may not want to do it if you are not physically in some what decent shape.
Old September 28th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

It was $85/person at the end of June as well. That included lunch and a beverage (not beer or bottled water).

Barry
Old September 28th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Admiral

$85 as reported by others and as they said, that includes not only the bus ride but the guide, equipment and lunch on the return trip at "Cheers". As for 6the walk....it took us about 45 minutes and I thought it a very easy and pleasant walk through the jungle where the guide pointed out various fawna for everyone. I might add that I am considered somewhat handicapped because of bad ankles and knees and I had no problem. The path is pretty clear and was no problem to navigate. There are two places where they have some short stairways.
Jim

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Captain

Thanks everyone!!

AKcruiser

Old September 29th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Passenger

My teenage daughter and I went on the cave tubing tour last winter, and I just wanted to let you know that we considered it money VERY well spent. This was one of my favorite shore tours ever! We even found the hour-long bus ride to the site to be interesting, as you get some chance to see the country outside of Belize City. The hike from the bus stop into the launch site was quite easy when we were there; really very leisurely and BEAUTIFUL, as you walk a short distance through the jungle. (I have heard that the path does get muddy and slick at times, but we were fine even in slicker places just by walking on the edges of the path). Perhaps the most "difficult" part of the tubing trip is the launch, where one is lowered a couple of feet into the water and into your tube, but even this was no problem for anyone in our large group, since the guides were quite gentle and helpful. I can highly recommend this tour!! Relaxing and beautiful!
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Bob and Ann

The post by "JohnR" is the whole truth. But I am biased. He is our son. We were with them on that cruise but we took the jungle river boat tour in Belize which was also money well spent. BTW: Does AKCruiser mean Alaska? I am a former Alaska State trooper and we just returned from an Alaska cruise a couple weeks ago. Enjoy!
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Captain

Bob and Ann,

Thanks for the post. Yes it does indeed mean Alaska. We are in Anchorage!! My hubby spent 12 years of his Air Force years here and when it cam time to "retire" we just stayed put. I did n't see the jungle river boat tour listed on Carnival's site. will look again. We are a tad concerned with the sun in Belize--we want some sun of course but aren't too used to extreme exposure, although we did set some records this summer with some 80 + degrees a couple of times!!

AKcruiser
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cave Tubing in Belize

Bob,
With you being a former Trooper you just have to join a bunch of us on the Voyager of the Seas in Feb. I am a retired Motorcycle Officer and we have a couple more cops and ex-cops all going as well as some medical people and a number of folks that are in the chat room in the evenings. Something to think about anyway. Caontact me if you are interested.
Jim

Old September 30th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Passenger

Hi AKCruiser,

My wife and I just returned from our cruise on Inspiration (9/21 - 9/28) and we went cave tubing in Belize. This was the first excursion we took *not* through Carnival. We went with Reggie's ($65) and had a great time. There were 13 of us and most had concerns of time since it was an hour bus ride. However we ended up getting back before the Carnival tour. We got on our tender at 2pm (ship time) and the last tender was at 3:30pm.

I'm sure it was an anomaly, but when we started our hike up the river we came across a Carnival group waiting by the river bank where the tubing ends. They had been waiting about 30 minutes at that point. Apparantly they didn't have tubes for everyone at that point. I'm not sure how long they were there after us. I can't imagine they had time to stop at Cheers for lunch if they were there much longer.

The hike through the jungle/woods wasn't so bad. There were people with us that I had concerns about due to physical issues, but everyone made the trek without any problems.

The only peeve was the bus ride. Instead of a nice comfy tour bus we were stuffed in large van. It was tight and not nearly as comfortable. The air conditioning was also underpowered. For some that may be worth the extra $20/person.

One very cool part of going with Reggie's is that the group was small. I'm sure I would have had a great time with a group of 40, but it seemed nicer with a small group.

Either way, I recommend the excursion. Its not one that I think I necessarily need to do again, but I'm thrilled to have done it once.

Hope this helps.

Inspiration 9/2003
Majesty of the Seas 11/2002
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Captain

Thanks a bunch!!

AKcruiser
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Bob and Ann

Default Re: Re: Re: Cave Tubing in Belize

Jim: Replied to you directly. Hope you receive it. 10-4? Bob
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Ak, This is one country/port where you do want to book a tour. The tender ride is about 20-30 minutes. Walking around the town is not recommended and there is nothing to see anyway. Reggie Trapp is a licensed tour guide with over 5 years private guide experience. He did have a converted school bus which is used if his group is larger than a van will hold. You have a choice of wearing a life vest. Old canvas sneakers or teva style sandals are recommended for the walk in the shaded jungle. I am ashmatic and the 45 minute walk was OK. The water was tepid and refreshing. We arrived back at the pier by 3 PM and had plenty of time for a little souvenir shopping at the tourist plaza. Pharmacy and Cigar store are located there, too.
I think the river tour was the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour. Also, a good recommendation to see this beautiful country.
Bon Voyage
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:38 PM
Captain

Thanks Nanatravel!! I really appreciate the info. I didn't realize that the tender ride was so long

AKcruiser
Old October 3rd, 2003, 11:36 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Padme_Amidala_Skywalker

I e-mailed Carnival a week ago, it's now 79 dollars through the ship.... We are planning on doing it...

Does this new price still include lunch? That's a long time to go without food...

Carnival Inspiration Western Caribbean- GrandCayman, CostaMaya, Cozumel, Belize
Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:09 PM
hoogie

Default Re: Cave Tubing in Belize w/kids ?

Anyone ever bring their kids on the reggie or carnival tour ? We were considering it as our kids will be 9 and 10, both good with water and swimming. Obviously we don't want to be a burden on the group but it's a once in a lifetime experience for us. Does anyone know if you can share a tube with your child ? Like have the child sit on your lap ?

Thanks,

Mark
Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Padme_Amidala_Skywalker

well...
They have lifejackets available for kids (mandatory for kids I believe) and for adults that want them (like scared, silly me)

Carnival Inspiration Western Caribbean- GrandCayman, CostaMaya, Cozumel, Belize
Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Captain

According to the shore tour description on Carnival's website, min age is 12 years old.

AKcruiser
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM
jamie gunter

Reggie doesnt like to take kids under 12 either. There are a few areas when we did it were you had to really paddle so the currant would not take you into the rocks. He had guides standing in water to help if needed. It may be difficult for a youngster. I dont know if they would let you share a tube. I would email Reggie about that. We used him and highly recommend.
Old October 4th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

hoogie...when are you cruising? We are going to book with Reggie...hope it as good as they all say it is....

Good luck!
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:10 AM
hoogie

Hi Lyn,

Going Feb 14th 2004 on the Glory, how about you ?
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on the 19th of October. We are a group of 39. About 10 of us will be tubin with Reggie.

Have fun!
Old October 5th, 2003, 10:14 AM
hoogie

WOW, lucky you going in just two short weeks. I booked a year in adavence and although it was probably the right thing to do, it's been very difficult reading about everyone else's trips while waiting for your own. Hope you have a wonderful time, let us all know how the cave tubing is. Are you bringing any kids on cave tubing ?

Mark
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are all kids at heart but our ages range from 3 - 58. Just remember as our cruises are over you will still have yours to look forward to. We are all ready planning our next one. Our group has grown from 18 to 39 in just two cruises. We are hoping to double it again next time.
Old October 10th, 2003, 11:48 AM
vicloo

Does anyone have Reggie's email address handy? Hope to reserve spots for the Nov 16 Elation group.
Old October 10th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Reggie is the best . We went tubing in June with him and we did not get off the ship till 10:00 but he got us back and forth from the ship with no trouble. The tubing is not as bad as you would think there are very few currents and the ones that you tube down are not very strong. There are monitors lined up and down the river so there are not any problems
Old October 10th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Admiral

The answer on the children is confirmed, that neither the ship's tour nor Reggie likes to have children under 12. There is a reason because of the extensive paddling and the size of the tubes. Nine and 10 year olds arms won't reach the water to paddle for about 2 hours down stream. My upper arms were totally covered with a Rubber Burn from the constant paddling ad rubbing against the inner tube as the water was very low.

Old October 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Captain

Ok now you're getting me worried (again). how extensive is the paddling? Nanatravel did you have an overall good experience despite the rubber burns? Also, I called Carnival to check on the pricing and the times and the lady that I spoke to said that its $85.00 and there weren't any times listed on the printout she could fax me.

AKcruiser
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:37 PM
jamie gunter

My arms were sore for two or three days. Probally depends on the season, rain or no rain. We were there in Febuary, and it was kind of shallow in some areas. My husband had the rubber burn problem, I didnt. We linked up and I made him do alot of the paddling