Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:46 AM
marycaym

Default first time on carnival & i have some ?'s

myself (F35) and my mother (62) just booked the jubilee out of san juan this coming saturday 10/4. this is a last minute getaway and i have some questions that i am hoping someone can answer:
1) we got a really good last minute deal on an inside cabin, if the ship is not full are you able to purchase an upgrade once on board - we have cruised on royal carribean and disney and have always been able to do this.
2) does carnival offer a wine package like some of the other lines?
3) what does the soda card cost? and is it just a sticker they attached to your ship card?
4) is the food really bad as i read?
5) any feedback that you can give me regarding the dominican republic (this is one port that i have never been to)

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: first time on carnival & i have some ?'s

Mary,

I can help a bit ...

1. We've booked the upper/lowers and always get upgraded to a regular inside. But what I've seen, they usually have a sign saying the ship is sold out otherwise. Carnival's inside cabins are fantastic size (especially when they beds are separated). We did move them so that they were like an "L" shape, which gave us tons of floor space. Also, you get a nice toiletrie basket on Carnival.

2. Don't recall a wine package on Carnival.

3. Soda card is $29 (I think!)

4. Food has been getting really high marks lately with Carnival ... I would say it was better than what we've got on Princess two times.

5. Sorry never been to Dominican.

Harry
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Captain

Buying an upgrade onboard would depend on if there are rooms available. I have not done it but have heard of people doing it on Carnival.

Yes I do believe Carnival has a wine package.

The soda card was $34.99 for a 7 day cruise on Carnival and it is a seperate card not a sticker. It does include the tips.

I have never had a bad meal on Carnival. I have had good to exceptional but no bad meals. I felt the choices were limited but I have never had a bad meal on Carnival.

If the port is Casa DaCampo or Laramoana, both dock in the same place, we found the artist colony in Laramoana very beautiful and quite interesting. We did not go anywhere else while there.
Old September 30th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Admiral

I don't buy the soda card so I can't help on that one. But I can say the food has been exceptional on every cruise. And I'm a restaurant owner. I'm amazed how they can turn out 800 meals in 20 minutes and maintain that kind of quality. A monumental task.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:48 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: first time on carnival & i have some ?'s

We enjoyed the food very much on the Conquest. Lots of choices and if you don't like whats on the menu you can always have a steak.

The soda cards have two prices, one for kids and one for adults.

You have to order the wine ahead of time on the carnival web site, as you would your drink coupones etc. I think it is under gifts.
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:01 AM
Treva

My carnival rep said unless you are going to drink more than 5 or 6 cokes a day you do not come off ahead buying the soda card. Think I may carry a little soda with me and skip the card myself.
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:36 AM
Captain

One soda is $1.73 which includes the tip. The soda card is $34.99 including tip for a 7 day cruise. I hope this helps in figuring out if the soda card is worth it or not for you. The soda is poured in a glass of ice from a can, there are no fountains on Carnival anymore.
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: first time on carnival & i have some ?'s

The soda card is $29.99 + tip which is $34.99. I was under the impression (from my first cruise) that pops were more like $3 each, so I got a card betting on having more than 10 in the week...but if it's $1.73 maybe I should re-think that. Hmm.

The soda card is a seperate card, all you have to do is show it to the bar-tender/waiter and they get your pop for you. There is a place for you to sign on the back but they never once checked it, they just glanced at it (didn't even take it from me like the Sign and Sail) so they really don't keep track of how much your getting, etc.

I have a long review of my last cruise including a bit on the Dominican if you'd like to check that out and ask any questions. It's on the Reader Reviews page under the Carnival Paradise, and my name which is Rebecca.