Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Passenger

Default review - long - Inspiration 9/28

We’re back and we had a wonderful, wonderful time!!!!!!

This is pretty detailed as I’ve tried to cover most of the subjects people seem to have questions about.

We left home at 2am on Sunday 9/28 to go to the airport. If we cruise again, we’ll fly the day before we embark – we were really tired by the time the ship sailed at 4pm. Neither of us sleeps well on airplanes so we napped a little before sailing, but were still pretty tired by evening.

We way over packed. We had 2 carry-ons with essentials - medications, a couple of changes of clothes, cameras, etc. We also checked 3 suitcases. We came home with a large suitcase and a small suitcase of never-worn clothes. We packed 2 bottles of wine and they traveled safely – the guy at the airport who x-rayed our luggage joked with us and said “this must be the goodie bag!” when he saw the wine and corkscrew! We used the overdoor shoe bag – great! Didn’t take a powerstrip and didn’t need it.

Embarkation: Very well handled. We got to the airport at 10:30, boarded the shuttle at 11:30, got inside the port terminal at 12 noon and were eating at the Lido buffet at 12:50pm. The Carnival staff at the airport and at the terminal were friendly, efficient, and helpful.

Our cabin: We had an Upper Deck oceanview cabin (categaroy 6A) on the stern – our window looked out over the wake. It was a beautiful view and the engine noise was not at all disturbing. We had lots of storage space and plenty of room. My dh was really surprised at how spacious our cabin was. Our steward, Catherine, had our room ready for us – the beds were together and everything was in great shape. She was quiet but friendly and did a great job. She kept our room very clean and neat, kept us supplied with ice for the wine, made great towel animals, and was almost completely invisible.

The ship: Inspiration shows her age (yes, the carpets are worn and stained in spots, there are chips and scratches on walls and railings) but the crew kept her very clean and tidy. I’d sailed on the Ecstacy a few years ago and the ship was nasty (dirty public restrooms, trays from room service left in the passageways for hours or overnight, trash on tables, etc). Inspiration was such a nice contrast. The décor is really gaudy and almost hideous (especially the Brasserie, which looks like ugly giant purple squid tentacles) but we really didn’t care. We spent most of our time on the open decks enjoying the sea views and the stars.

Food: We ate all of our meals from room service or the Brasserie. The Brasserie food was plentiful and decent, but not outstanding. My husband says it’s like a chow line on a Navy ship. We are vegetarian, so the selections were limited, but that’s our choice and not a criticism, although more cooked vegetables would have been nice. The meat entrees were plentiful and people seemed to enjoy them. Salad bar was fine. Breakfast was excellent – great omelets! Desserts were beautiful, but very bland (except for the chocolate cake from room service!!!). The coffee was excellent. The room service menu was very good, although some hot foods would have been appreciated – maybe soups or baked potatoes. And my husband must have had 25 ice cream cones!

Crew: The Brasserie staff was outstanding – friendly, courteous, helpful, and very hard-working. The Cruise Director, Marco, was pretty obnoxious (personal opinion – I don’t like the game show host type) and his PA announcements were almost impossible to understand due to his very rapid speech. The pursers desk staff were not friendly and were not especially helpful – the same with the Internet Café host. The only time we saw the Captain, he was rude - he was strolling the deck with a lady and we simply said “hello” and smiled and he looked right at us and didn’t speak! But the majority of the crew were helpful and smiling and we refused to be affected by the very few that weren’t.

Entertainment and activities: We only went to one show and left after about 10 minutes. Vegas type entertainment is not appealing to us, although the audience seemed really pleased. My opinion – it was mediocre at best – all flash and little real substance, although some of the performers were talented – I think it was the material. The lounge pianist was adequate and the Promenade guitarist was truly awful. The band, Music Forever, from Manila, Philippines, was outstanding – very good musicians and singers with a great repertoire. My husband requested a popular Filipino song and they were thrilled to play something in their own language. The calypso band was really great, too. (My dh and I are both professional musicians, so our standards are pretty high.)

We didn’t attend any activities – it’s just not our thing, but they were well attended and people seemed to have a good time and there were certainly many things to do.

Ports of Call (I’m going to post full reviews on the appropriate message boards, too):
Grand Cayman: We walked around the tender pier area for a while, back into the neighborhoods and into a gift shop while waiting for our tour transportation. We went horseback riding with Honeysuckle Beach Rides and had a great time. Tendering back to the ship was a real pain – the lines were very, very long.

Costa Maya: Unfortunately, we missed this port due to high winds and rough seas, so went straight to Cozumel.

Cozumel: We arrived at 4pm and stayed until 6pm the next day. We stayed on the ship the first day. The second day we took a taxi to La Caleta Marina and met our snorkle guides – Eagleray Divers. We had a great time snorkeling beautiful coral reefs and having lunch at the Nachi Cocum Beach Club. We taxied back to the pier, picked up a couple of quick souveniers and boarded the ship by 4pm. (As you can tell, we’re not real avid shoppers.)

Belize: This was our favorite port. We snorkeled with Coral Breeze and ate lunch at Caye Caulker. This was truly one of the best days we’ve ever had. Everything was perfect! Our next vacation will probably be in Belize – it was wonderful. We tendered back to the ship (no long wait this time) and slept! By the way, we had no trouble getting the first tender into port. I just got in line, picked up stickers for cave tubing, and went to the gangway. Piece of cake.

Tipping: We adjusted our tips – we didn’t eat in the dining room at all, so we took that off and increased the alternate dining tip. These people work very hard and certainly deserve to be recognized. We increased the daily tip for our cabin steward and also tipped her in cash on the first and last days.

Debarkation: The PA system didn’t work in the Paris Lounge, so we, along with hundreds of others, didn’t hear our tag colors called. Once that was fixed, everything went smoothly and pretty quickly.

We had some real high winds, rain on embarkation day, and choppy seas. Neither of us gets seasick, so the motion of the ship was enjoyable for us.

We had only a few minor complaints – drink prices ($3.50 + 15% for domestic beer is outrageous!!!!), some poor quality entertainment, a few unfriendly crew, and the relentless selling, selling, selling, selling by the staff. In addition, we had a hard time finding any privacy other than in our cabin – of course, we knew we’d be sailing with 2000 other people, but this was hard for us!!!! Also, it would be nice if they sold domestic cigars on the ship – not just cigarettes and expensive imported cigars.

It was a great vacation and we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Inspiration and the exotic Western Caribbean itinerary (especially Belize). I’ll post our website address soon so you can see our pictures and our smiling faces!!! Thanks to all of you who shared ideas and suggestions that made our cruise more enjoyable.

Carnival INSPIRATION
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2003, 04:03 AM
First Mate

Default Re: review - long - Inspiration 9/28

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. We're booked on Inspiration Feb. 8th, my girlfriend's name is Trish, and we're also from Ohio. I don't know were Frankfort is, but you probably don't know were Dover is either. Next cruise, try the dining room for dinner at least. Seems to me a vegetarian menu was offered each nite.

Old October 7th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Admiral

Trish, thank you for the review. Inspiration will be my next ship. I really like your description of the Brasserie since my favorite hours aboard Sensation were on the same part of the ship you described--outdoors abaft the buffet (starboard fantail). I particularly look forward to the first sea day sunrise coffee, overlooking the wake.

Also, my wife and I have a confirmed aft cabin on the Empress deck. We won't even need an elevator once aboard, just a long trudge to the stern. I'm glad to hear that the aft cabins are large. Needless to say, your review has fed our anticipation.

Darn it! Why do we have to wait until March 7? ;-)

Steve--A fellow Ohian.

Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Enchantment 9/03
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: review - long - Inspiration 9/28

We had originally intended to eat in the dining room, but we couldn't get a table for two and neither of us wanted to eat at a table with 6 other people. We're both shy and uncomfortable with that, so the Brasserie was a better choice for us.

In spite of the limited vegetarian choices in the Brasserie, it was a wonderful vacation and we had a great time, especially those nights on the fantail!

Carnival INSPIRATION
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Padme_Amidala_Skywalker

Wow, sounds like you have fun... We still have a little over 2 months to go before we go.
I personally like eating w/ new people. I was 15 the first cruise I went on (Royal Caribbean Soverign of the seas, 5 day Bahamas...) The 2 couples we were with were older, but nice. The one lady had been on nearly 100 cruises. She and her partner (Not sure if they were married or not) bought me a anklet bracelet thing, I still wear it, and think of them.

Anyways, we are going w/ another couple we know (possible some other people might join us...)

So that elimates that pretty much. I also love the choices in dinning room better, plus the entertainment by the waiters. but I guess if you are shy, and are vegetarian that would make it very difficult. I have a question. In Belize you mentioned going snorkeling, but a few sentences down you said you 'picked up stickers for the cave tubing' I'm confused by what you ment there.
Meghan

Carnival Inspiration Western Caribbean- GrandCayman, CostaMaya, Cozumel, Belize
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: review - long - Inspiration 9/28

Hi Meghan,

Sorry for the confusion! Generally, Carnival says that the early tenders are for people who've booked tours through the ship and sometimes gives private tour people a hassle if they need to get off early. Our snorkel tour company requested that we get the first or second tender so we'd have enough time for our trip. To avoid any hassle, we went to the Carnival tour group meeting, got a sticker for the cave tubing trip (they didn't ask to see a ticket for the tour), and went to shore on the first tender (which wasn't full, so we weren't taking someone's place, in case someone is concerned that we "bumped" someone else!!!). I just didn't want to have a confrontation with Carnival, so this was an easy way to get off the ship early. When we got to the pier, we just walked away from the group and met our tour operators.

Carnival INSPIRATION
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:47 AM
HollyMilburn

Default Re: Re: Re: review - long - Inspiration 9/28

Hi Trish,
Thanks for taking the time to give us a great review.
We're traveling on the Inspiration at the end of the month. I just received my travel docs and the booklet included with it says....embarkation in Tampa starts at 1:30pm, yet you were dining by 12:50pm....Were you able to get on earlier?
When you docked in Cozumel, which pier were you at? What was there to see or do immediately at the pier (without taxi travel)?
Did they say how often they can't tender into Costa Maya?
Your husband had how many ice cream cones???? Every Carnival ship we've been on has had ice cream machine problems, never working when I'm looking for some.
Glad you had a good time. You might want to try Celebrity Cruises, I think you would find them more to your liking...much more private, no loud games going on poolside, lovely shows with talented singers/dancers, very assorted menus, all in all a very nice alternative to the Carnival group.
Holly
Chicago
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Padme_Amidala_Skywalker
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: review - long - Inspiration 9/28

Holly,
Generally on the 5 cruise I've been on, whatever they say is "embark" time is usually earlier than that. We've always been onboard the ship by 12:30 or almost 1pm, and the tickets always say 1:30 or so. Just make sure you are at the peir and in line early, so if you fly down and your flight gets in at 10, head over to the ship after you grab a bit, if youe hungry. The ice cream machine was often 'broke' on the Fascination 3 yrs ago when we went, I imagine late at nigh or in the morning, when not 'everyone' wants it, it is prob working and more 'accessable'.
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: review - long - Inspiration 9/28

Hi Holly,

We got to the port at noon and were onboard well before 1pm. Lots of folks boarded before us, so go on over and get in line!

My dh really did have a lot of ice cream - at least 3 times a day! The frozen yogurt machine was often out of order, but the ice cream worked fine all the time.

We docked at the north pier in cozumel and there was lots to do. There's a large new shopping mall type place and several bars/restaurants right at the pier area - the new Carlos and Charlies is very nearby.

We cruised Carnival because of the itinerary and because we got a great price, even though we knew it would not be the best choice for us. Of course, many of the quieter ships are more formal, which is not our style either. We booked only 4 weeks before sailing and if we cruise again, we'll probably shop around more than we did this time. . My dh is a very private person and cruising may not be the best type of vacation for him. I tolerate noise and lots of people better than he does. Actually, our next vacation will probably be to Belize. We'd really like to have some time to explore and we'd like to stay on Caye Caulker, which we loved.

I don't think it's usually a problem getting into Costa Maya. It was extremely windy (and mean it!!!! - we took our shoes off on deck and had to put them in my bag which we had tied to the deck chair so it wouldn't blow away! ) and the seas were very rough that day. I think the port at Costa Maya is small and the channel is narrow, so it would have been difficult to navigate safely.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Carnival INSPIRATION