Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Bomby

Default Packing a lunch

Someone mentioned on another board that the cruiseline will pack a lunch for you when you go to port. Just wondered if anyone has done this? How do we arrange this? It isn't because I am cheap--my blood sugar runs real low so I have to eat small meals every couple of hours. We would like to do this at Chankanaab (we also plan on hitting the restaurant there too!)
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Packing a lunch

I'd be interested in knowing this also because I've never heard of it. We always eat in port or came back to the ship for lunch.
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Admiral

The poster on the other thread did not say the cruiseline will pack a lunch for you. If I remember the thread correctly. What she said was to pack along some ziplock baggies in your luggage so you can order room service and put the lunch in your ziplock baggies for taking ashore with you.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Thomas is correct, the ship itself will not pack you a lunch but some folks do take some food articles with them when they leave the ship to snack on while ashore. We prefer to sample the local food fare whenever possible. It isn't all that much after all.
Jim

Old October 7th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Ooh be careful with taking the fruits. We were in one port (I swear they had cameras on the lido deck and saw us grab some bananas to take ashore) and as we got off the ship they confiscated our bananas that we had in a bag. Those were promptly thrown away, what a waste.
Old October 7th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Packing a lunch

Was this because the country had restrictions about bringing in raw plants or animals? Some states here in the U.S. prohibit some items from entering their boundaries. Florida is one! Hawaii is another!

There are some plants not allowed to be brought into the state and there is an Agricultural Inspection station at the border for stopping these things.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 7th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I bring a foldable lunch bag with me and ziplocks. I have never had a problem ordering room service and taking the sandwiches and fruit of the ship. Either I have been lucky or there is new rules on board I haven`t been on a cruise in about 2 years. There are times thta we jsut take things to snack on and eat lunch at a local spot. It depends on you and your needs. If you have kids I find it helpful. But they do not pack it for you. SO if you don`t bring the ziplocks and lunch bag then you may not be able to do it. I bring larger ziplocks to put the ice in so when it melts it does not get the food wet.
Old October 7th, 2003, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Yes, bring ziploc bags and containers. Then, order a sandwich from room service to arrive that morning. I had no trouble with the odd piece of fruit and sandwich getting off. Just remember, it is hot and if you're like me, and forget to bring something to keep the sandwich cold, you may have to throw it away (didn't want to chance meat that had been sitting in the sun for 4 hours!). If you do eat on shore, remember not to drink the water (or ice). Sounds logical, but you'll be amazed how you can forget (in Grand Cayman, I ate at KFC and had a fountain pop - since G.C. is so westernized, I didn't even think about it). but I sure thought about it 5 hours later and for the next two days!!!!
Old October 7th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Thomas, it was in Cabo San Lucas. We had already gone to Puerta Vallerta and Mazatlan with no problem.
Old October 7th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had always thought that you couldnt bring food off the ship, but we recently went to a cruiseshow and the Carnival rep specifically told everyone to do this... She said to call room service ahead of time and put some food in baggies and take with you to your excursions..