Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Vicky'sSecret

Default Embarkation

Can anyone tell me what is a good time to get to the port. We are leaving in a week and will be in Miami the night before. This is my first cruise and have never been through the embarkation process before but I hear it can be a nightmare. We want to be able to get on the ship and look around and enjoy it before we set sail.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2003, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Embarkation

Hi, Vicky. I've never sailed out of Miami but it should petty much be the same. The embarkation times published are not always enforced so I try to get there between 10 and 11 and take advantage of boarding as early as possible. The lines tend to get heavier between 12-2pm but still move pretty well I think. That few extra hours on board allows me time to find my cabin (which isn't always ready at that time), find my table, and get to know the common areas before we sail.

Enjoy your cruise!

Glenn

Old October 14th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Vicky'sSecret

Default Re: Re: Embarkation

thanks that helps a lot! I can't wait for that day to get here!
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Andy B.

We left on Paradise Sept. 21, got to the terminal aroun 11:30 and were on the ship in probably 15-20 min. Really no lines whatsoever, except a very short one for Sail & Sign cards. Last Oct. we were there also; we got there around 10:00 and had to wait a while for them to start letting people in, then waited at each check in spot, and wait for them to let us on the ship. Probably an hour and a half total. Either the Victory or Triumph was also in Miami that day so that may have contributed to the wait, but I don't know. Both times in Miami were much better than the time we got on the Inspiration in New Orleans; that was bad, with long waits, high temps, and heavy crowds.

Andy
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Jeni

Its not bad in Miami. Lines tend to be long however, everyone is so excited, spirits are high.... As long as you have all paperwork ready and available, you should move quickly. You will want to get to the top of the ship early to secure your spot by the railing for sailing. The first twenty minutes out to sea, you can see alot of Miami and its beautiful.
Old October 16th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Admiral

We sailed out of Miami on our Feb 1st cruise on the Triumph.
Embarkation was supposed to be 1:30pm for a 4pm sailing BUT they allowed us on the ship at 12pm but asked us not to go to our cabin until 1:30pm as the stewards were cleaning them up from the prior cruise. That was fine with us cause we got lunch (they had a buffet lunch set up) and hung out and walked around the ship.

I would advise you to get there about noontime or so to get in and on with no troubles.

Old October 16th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Passenger

What ship are you sailing on next week? What day are you leaving? We're on the Imagination, leaving on the 23rd.
Old October 17th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Rufus

Hi there Vicky,

Just a note, don't get to the port too early or you'll foul with the passengers coming off the ship. We have cruised 8 times and on many different lines, and found that if we are at the port between 11:00 and 11:30 a.m. we are one of the first batch of cruisers to board, and we can enjoy lunch and the pool and just relax the rest of the day and watch the others board.
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:17 PM
adams

If you are going to put cash instead of credit on your s&s card do you need to get in the s&s line at embarkation?
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Rufus

Yes because the S&S card is also your room key and your ID for the ship. You have to go to the purser's desk when you get on the ship adn give them money upfront before you can use your S&S card to purchase anything.
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:31 PM
suzyS

We just returned from a cruise out of Miami and we got there around 10:30 and had no problem.
Old October 21st, 2003, 01:32 PM
Passenger

I have always gotten to the pier early, although I have never gone out of Miami. San Juan was my least favourite, but Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades and Tampa were very efficient. I aim for about 10:30 and have had no difficulties with passengers leaving the ship. This ensures that I am one of the first on the ship. As another poster stated, you can get lunch and wander around the ship. It is actually a great time because it is not crowded. I have always been able to go to my cabin and put my carry on stuff there before heading to the Lido Deck for lunch.

kp
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Beginner

I am going out of Port Canaveral on Nov.15 on the Glory. How early can we get there?

Old November 18th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Hi, I am on the Victory 4/25/04. I am concerned about leaving the ship that following Sunday. I have an 11:15 AM flight out of Miami international. Am I pushing it too close. How was your experience getting off your ship?/ Thanks in advance RS
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Jim B.

Default Re: Re: Re: Embarkation

I sailed on the victory week before last, here is my advice to you. Hold on to your luggage and walk off the ship, this begins around 7:30 a.m. be in the lounge area at 7:00 a.m. it will save you hours and beat all the lines at the luggage pick up area. I have sailed several times and it"s the best way off.
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Happy Camper

One more hint that is actually unrelated to the question. Make sure you have a carry on with a bathing suit, shorts and were pants or some combination so that you are covered for what you have to wear the first day because you may not get your luggage till 6-8pm. Also make sure you have anything you can not do without in the carryon like medication or makeup. Most people get their luggage but there are always a few who don't. You will see them bringing luggage on in the first port which could be days away. I think they give you a little money to buy things on board if that happens - maybe - but I always make sure I have the things I can't buy on board with me. Debbie