Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk
Default How big of a suitcase can you take on the airplane?

My mother is going to get me luggage for x mas this year. I was wondering if I could bring a large suitecase on the plane. I have looked at some suitcases and they have a really large one that is 30 inches. I have looked on Continental's website but the dimensions are in linear inches, so I'm not sure. I am bringing two suitcases, but I definately need a large one. I am planning on bringing a lot of souveniers home. Also would you guys recommend a garment bag. Can you fit a lot in them. I am concered about bringing a few pairs of shoes considering they are pretty bulky.

Thanks for you help,

Rachel

Less then 3 months Wooohoooo!

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:53 AM
First Mate

Default Re: How big of a suitcase can you take on the airplane?

Hi Rachel ~ My carry ons are like shoulder bags/back pack type. I also use a small "pullman" which are those small rolling suitcases. The airlines will make you check the big ones. Garment bags are great for your formal wear but can be a little awkward (for me) so I choose to just pack them carefully in my big suitcase and they are the first things I hang up. Our garment bag is usually filled with my husband things. If you have room in your big bag you can always pack a smaller bag that folds up so you can pack it with your souvenirs.

One word of advice I can give you is to pack things in your carry that you will want that first night on the ship, i.e., toiletries, cosmetics, change of clothes for dinner (dinner the first night is generally pretty casual but you might be eager to get our of your traveling clothes), bathing suit, camera.. those types of things. Although it's only happened to me on a rare occassion, there are times when your big bags (the one's Carnival bring to your room) don't make it to your room until very late that night or even the next day so having some things to get by in your carry on is a good idea!!

Plan shoes carefully! I always over due it :Q Try to find shoes that you can wear with different outfits. Leaving a pair or two at home will help and you won't miss them. You wouldn't believe the number I've taken before...I'm trying to get better ..it's a girl thing, right?
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Airlines have made major changes in the size and weight that they will allow for your luggage without an extra fee. Usually, most airlines allow 2 checked pieces of luggage per preson. I do not recommend purchasing a 30 inch suitcase. It will get too heavy and you will have to pay extra for each leg of your flight. We had that size, too. I purchased 27 inch and 21 inch expandable "suiter" pieces with small tote bags for the jewelry, medicines and things I must carry-on board. I check everything else now to avoid delays. We no luse Garment bags as the clothes tend to move and get very wrinkled. The "suiter" style suitcases allow your to pack and fold within the case. The theory of reduced wrinkles is to pack tightly so things do not move around. A great investment is the envelope Pak-It systems from ebags, Magellan's, or other travel accessory sites.
Bon Voyage
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Besides size restrictions, there are also weight restrictions on suitcases. I would do what Nanatravel suggests. I take a 26" suiter, a 21" suiter and a carryon.

Old October 15th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Captain

Rachel,

Continental allows 2 bags with a 50 pound limit for each. They charge for any additional weight. I don't remember the fee but it's on their website.

AKcruiser

Old October 16th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: How big of a suitcase can you take on the airplane?

Most if not all 30" Pullmans are 61 linear inches. The airlines allow 62 but they have all lowered the weight allowed to 50 pounds. By loading up a 30 Pullman you can easily exceed 50 pounds. I packed one for Alaska once, not stuffed and was at 55 pounds. I was told that the pressure to lower the weight restrictions came from the insurance companies that cover baggage handles. It seems that there are more and more back and rotator cuff claims being made due to heavy baggage.
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

Thanks that really helps me a lot. I know if I buy a 30 inch suitcase it will be packed, so I'll go with a smaller one so I don't go over the weight limits. I did read on Continentals website. It depends on what class you fly. If you fly first class you can take 3 bags and they can be a max of 70 lbs. I am trying to be practical and take as little shoes as possible. Even when I go away for a weekend I pack way too much. You know there is always a what if I need this and you usually never use it. I am a really big shopper, so I hope to bring home some really cool things. I can't wait for the Turtle Farm, I love turtles (one of the reasons I picked this itinerary). I hope they are some really great things there. This is my first cruise and I already want to plan the next one. I know I'll love it.

Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004