Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Happy Camper

Default Galveston Parking HELP!

Last May we went out of Galveston and used Dolphin PArking and had a hard time with them getting us to the ship and back - long lines and long waits. Now I see where they are now an official parking for the port athority. Has anyone used them recently - are they any better??? Are there any other options???? Help! Leaving Saturday on the Ecstasy.. Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Obstructed view

Default Re: Galveston Parking HELP!

The walk from EZ cruise is only four blocks. A very convenient way to handle it is for one person to retrieve the vehicle by walking and then going to a loading zone on the other side of Harborside street. You can really avoid a lot of conjestion that way and save time. The walk from the pier across Harborside might even be closer than the walk to catch the van.
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We stayed at a hotel that allowed us to leave our car there free of charge. We then took a cab to and from the ship. I will do this from now on. Much less hassle and not much cost either.
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Familiar Face

I was on the Ecstasy November 15 we used the Dolphin lot. Maybe something has changed since then. Concerning walking, we were going to walk back the the ship after parking the car rather than wait on the shuttle but the employees at the lot discourged that idea, they indicated that with no sidewalks and heavy traffic you were taking your life in your hands.
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Happy Camper

Wolfie - did you have long waits for the shuttle and when did you get there? Debbie
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Familiar Face

Get to the pier early to avoid the heavy traffic. We dropped our wives and luggage at the terminal and then went to park the car. When we got back to the terminal we were surprised to find that they were letting us check in and board the ship early, I think it was only about 12:30 at that time. When we returned from the cruise it was a total disaster, there was a shortage of busses, a lot of very rude people, tempers flaring and several Port police who either couldn't or wouldn't do much to assist the situation.
We decided to simply RELAX, we had a great cruise and we didn't want any bad attitudes to ruin that for us, so.... we just waited for the "Rush" crowd to clear, after all, we had been away from home for a week, waiting another hour wasn't going to hurt anything. The big thing is don't let the logistics ruin it for you, it will all work out., just enjoy the cruise .

Ecstasy 11-04
Fantasy 04-05
Glory 10-05
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Obstructed view

Default Re: Re: Galveston Parking HELP!

"....they indicated that with no sidewalks and heavy traffic you were taking your life in your hands."

O.K. There is no side walk to get from the pier to Harborside Road, but the road is wide and traffic is slow in that this is a departure road from the dock; there is an officer directing traffic at the turning point. The no sidewalk distance could be described as one block. The seventy year old couple we travelled with did this and though it was a real time saver.

There is a red light that allows you to cross Harborside to get to the loading zone area. Quite a few people do this, especially those who don't use porter services when debarking.
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Breidy

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

Go online and reserve a space. $40 for 7 days if you book online. $45 if you pay when you drive up. Shuttle takes you to ship with your luggage.

Shuttle picks you up when you return and takes you and your luggage back to lot.

Is really only one street back from Harborside Drive. You can actually see your car when you walk out of the terminal if your sailing Rhapsody. A couple of blocks further if you're sailing Carnival.
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Mark BB

We used these folks at EZ Park last year and it was great. No waiting in line and the folks were really helpful! Highly recommended.
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Familiar Face

Obstructed view ,
I offered information that was given to me by the employees of the Dolphin lot, I had no reason to think that they would give me info that they did not believe was true. I took their suggestion, considering I was in Galveston for a total of three hours as opposed to them being there daily. I passed the information along in hopes that it would help someone. You and the other readers of this thread are welcome to use the information or ignor it... it just doesn't matter to me.
May all your sailings be sunny and smooth.

Ecstasy 11-04
Fantasy 04-05
Glory 10-05
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Happy Camper

Wolfie - I did not comment on what they told you. I appreciate all the information. I have been to Galveston and appreciate what they say. I understand it. If I didn't have luggage with me I think it would be ok to walk it but not with luggage. They are higher and I was hoping for another option because of the long lines for busses, but I like the covered parking they offer. I've parked there before so know it is not much but if it hailed or rained or anything (south Texas whether isn't predicable) it would help. I thank you for your response and I really like what you said about just sitting back and letting the rowdy crowd go and just relax. I felt like I had to be in that crowd last year because I had my father in law in a wheel chair with us and didnt' want him waiting so long but this year you are right - there is no rush and I did like the parking facility so with your advice and others we have decided to probably drop me and the luggage off and then have hubby go park and walk back. If we get down there after noon we may just go there and wait for a shuttle. We'll take it as it comes as you said but we will use Dolphin. Thank you for your response. Debbie
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Familiar Face

Debbie,
My post was not directed at you, I am sincerly sorry if you thought that it was. I didn't want my post to come out as being to harsh but I fear it did. My only problem was the portion of my original post was quoted out of context, and seemed, to ME, to imply I was giving bad information when my goal was simply to provide info that had been provided to me. Please enjoy your cruise, I still have to wait till April

Ecstasy 11-04
Fantasy 04-05
Glory 10-05
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Obstructed view

Wolfie,

The Dolphin Parking Lot is considerably further from the docking terminals than EZ Cruise Lot, ergo the walk is much further to Dolphin. Also, the walk from the luggage pickup area to Harboside Drive would compare in length to the walk from the pickup area to the parking lot van pickup point, albeit the latter is all concrete.

It is understandable that employees of one system would not make statements that would divert business from their lot to that of a competitor.

What I did worked for me and I'll do it again.
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Happy Camper

Wolfie - I understand and appreciate the info. It is what I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't the one that posted negatively. Thank you for your response and April will be here before you know it!!! One other wrinkle in the whole thing now is I just found out that Mardi Gras is starting Friday and will be going on on The Strand (at HArborside by the cruise ships) when we are boarding. I'm imagining a traffic nightmare!!!! But I talked to my hubby and we will take your advice and go early and take our very sweet time and not worry about anything and we will get on board when we get there... Wish us luck!!! Thanks again, Debbie