Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Dance25

Default Holiday Cruise Ship Outbreak

Here we go again. If you are sailing this ship, I would call my travel agent if I were you. Here is a link to the story as posted by CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/10/16....ap/index.html
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Junior

Default Re: Holiday Cruise Ship Outbreak

Thanks for the info. Do you think it will effect the other ships in the fleet? We are sailing another ship in Nov..
Old October 16th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Starfighter

It shouldn't have any effect on the other ships in the line, at least, no more effect than it will have on the entire cruise industry, and that should be minimal and short lived. I say that because this type of thing occurs from time to time on all the cruiselines. There will probably be flu outbreaks on some cruiseships this winter if the incubation period is shorter than the cruise, otherwise it will not be a problem for the infected cruisers until they are back home and it wouldn't be newsworthy.
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Admiral

The stomach flu is the second most common aliment known to man with only the common cold more 'common'. <G> The ship underwent a complete disinfecting before it sailed again. It was probably brough onboard by a sick passenger and spread very quickly. If you take care to wash your hands often and keep them out of your mouth you reduce the risk of contracting it tremendously. This illness happens all the time and to larger numbers than this but with it being on a cruiseship it makes the news. I would not worry about it at all.
Jim

Old October 16th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Don't let a stomach virus stop you from going anywhere!

Take along hand sanitizer and follow good hand washing routines. You can catch the cold from your work, home, anywhere....

Did you know that a computer keyboard has alot of germs on them too!

Old October 16th, 2003, 06:13 PM
MartiniMan

We just got back from The Holiday this morning. Although 100 people became ill, we did not and had a great time. In fact we didn't even know about the outbreak until we got back home and heard about it on the news!
Old October 17th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm getting the flu shot on November 6th and sailing on November 29th. Will this help prevent any of these ailments? Also, will I have the "bug" on me because of the shot? It will be three weeks, so I'm thinking the incubation period should be over. I would hate to bring it on board, though.
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Captain

I would guess that the same amount of people get this VIRUS when flying also, but since everyone disperses to hundreds of cities after landing....it never gets related to the trip..........same thing happens everywhere.
We are cruising on Nov 16th and will have lysol and hand sanitiser as usual with is. It's no different than a big hotel on vacation.
Why do people blame cruises?

Sensation

Old October 17th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LGalla9464 Send a message via MSN to LGalla9464
Default Re: Re: Holiday Cruise Ship Outbreak

Mindy.....
Good for you in getting a flu shot! Just remember, it ONLY cover certain common strains of the flu. Your body should start building antibodies within the 2 weeks. And, if you do catch the flu...your body will have a far easier time fighting it off.

One thing to remember....the 'virus' (aka Norwalk or similar strain) is NOT influenza (the flu), and there is NO vaccine for it. It is commonly spread from person to person... the most common route....you guessed it....poor handwashing techniques. And earier poster suggested carrying a small bottle of Purell when not able to get to soap and water.

This is NOT a cruiseship disease, but rather a common stomach ailment where large groups of people are in closed quarters....ie hospitals, cruise ships, Nursing Homes, schools & correctional facilities.

Go and have a great time......nothing better than fresh ocean air and sunshine.
Laura
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:34 PM
LHP

Martini Man: We were on that cruise with you. Hubby, myself and two sons. We heard about the outbreak from some staff on board that are friends of ours...but we had no problems. We always take hand sanitizer and use it upon entering and leaving our cabin. It is a routine that has served us well for many cruises with illnesses. Jane (at the Bus Stop Bar) had two co-workers ill on Wednesday. We had a wonderful time. Hope your cruise was as good. We met some great folks and really liked Paul (the CD).
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Admiral

MIndy, No, the shot is for the flu and not for the stomach bug. There is no vaccine for that. The best way to keep yourself from becoming ill is to wash your hands often and do not put anything in your mouth or on your face that is not clean, including your hands and/or fingers.
Jim

Old October 17th, 2003, 11:08 PM
MartiniMan

Yeah, Paula was a trip to listen to. If we didn't catch him live we caught him on the tv the next morning. We traveled with 12 others on the cruise. We had a blast! 3 out of the 12 became ill the last night. We had no idea it was so wide spread. We figured they had a hang over.

You have the right idea about using the hand sanitizer. Every time you go from the sun deck down to the Warf bar for food and drink you touch the hand rail along with 1000 other people, and then you end up eating pizza with dirty hands. It's a wonder we all do not come down with the virus!
Old October 18th, 2003, 02:18 PM
LHP

Martini Man: You would think with all the alcohol consumed that no one would get sick. Disinfecting from the inside!!! We loved Paul as well. I am a Karaoke nut, so I adopted Terrence from our Holiday cruise in July. It was good to see him again. We had a great time.
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:11 AM
First Mate

I'll never forget the cruise I was on and the woman who slide her baby in a diaper (only) along the area where you slide your trays at the poolside breakfast buffet. Yuk.
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:52 PM
LHP

Sunlover: Yuk, that is disgusting. And people wonder how a virus gets around a ship so quickly. Can you say stupidity???