CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Attire: Formal and "non" fromal nights (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/192790-attire-formal-non-fromal-nights.html)

Cassie October 17th, 2003 04:20 PM

Attire: Formal and "non" fromal nights

I ahve been on 2 prior cruises. This time around my brother will bew coming along. He is not big into the coat and tie thing (usually jeans and a harley T-shirt) anywho, are there any threads or sights with some ideas on what he would have to bring to be alowed in the dining room? Also I need some info on childrens atire!

Thanks,
Cassie

sls October 17th, 2003 04:40 PM

Re: Attire: Formal and "non" fromal nights

Go to "Practical Advice" there is a whole section on cruise dress. You'll find a good cross section of opinions.

sls

Jim Bragg October 17th, 2003 08:50 PM

Shorts and t shirts are not allowed in the main dining room during the evening meal. Suggested attire are dockers or some other type of resort casual slacks and a shirt with a collar including polo style shirts. On formal nights a jacket and tie are highly recommended and should be worn if not formal attire itself.
Jim

jedgar October 17th, 2003 11:20 PM

What should I pack?
Casual attire is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. For Alaska and Canada cruises, sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested.Note: Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room area during dinner.

The above is from Carnival's web site.

Below are the definitions of the different type of dress. Special note to item 2.
:

1. BUSINESS, also EXECUTIVE- or CORPORATE CASUAL: The level beneath the business suit and tie, which can consist of a suit or sports jacket and/or sweater, and an optional tie. This is what youíd wear to a company party (retirement, holiday, etc.). The fabrics may be less dressy, and the tie a knit or novelty print. You may have slightly relaxed the look, but youíre still there for business.
In some cases you may want to wear a suit thatís a step up from business wear like your best Armani suit, French-cuff shirt, and Hermes tie just to show you have a life outside business!!
2. COUNTRY CLUB, or DRESSY, RESORT CASUAL, CASUAL CHIC: Apparel that youíd wear to a private country club for lunch or dinner. Dress trousers, sports shirt, dress shirt or knit polo shirt, a sweater or sport jacket and leather shoes/belt. Itís also appropriate for an off-site seminar, a party at a friendís home or dinner at a nice restaurant. And yes the elements in your attire may have cost MORE than a good suit!!
Number 3 may be acceptable for certain businesses and some social functions.
3. SPORTY or RUGGED: The outdoor look! Off to the local pub to watch Monday night football with the guys, to a real game, when youíre invited to spend the weekend at one of Ralph Laurenís homes, or third date out for pizza. Any activity where you might run into someone interesting. Itís more casual, but you still took some time to coordinate colors, and think about what elements you put together.
The following two categories are not acceptable for most businesses, or for any "important" social occasion (i.e. first date) where youíre concerned about your creditability, authority and/or image:
4. SATURDAY CASUAL OR LEISURE: What you wear on weekends, if you had to go out shopping or doing laundry, and there was even a remote chance of human contact.
5. ACTIVE: gear youíd wear to the gym, to play b-ball, washing your car, or gardening, but not stop off at the grocery store on the way home. Itís also what you might wear around the house if you werenít expecting any visitors.

Donna October 18th, 2003 08:41 AM

Hi Cassie,
You follow the same dress code for kids.

Cassie October 20th, 2003 09:26 PM

Thanks, I am currently trying to get my brother to buy a suit. He is refusing to wear a suit and if it means he can't eat in the dining room he doesn't care *ugh* 27 year old child! Any idea to convince him? I know once he gets there he'll kick himslef for not briniging one!

Cassie

ArkJudy October 20th, 2003 10:42 PM

He'll be fine in jeans and one of those stretchy collarless shirts that men look so fine in for casual nights. Tell him to do the same for formal night, just add a sport coat over the jeans and dressy shirt. He won't be dressed the finest, but with the sports coat, he'll be ahead of some, and he'll be happy and comfortable. (He can dump the sports coat in the room right after dinner!

Jim Bragg October 20th, 2003 11:14 PM

Re: Re: Attire: Formal and "non" fromal nights

Jeans on formal nights with a collarless shirt? Surely you gest! Cassie, just tell your brother that women love men in a tux and or a suit. That should get his attention. Besides, it's true, men in a tux look good, even the guy that has never worn a tie in his life usually will change his mind once he takes a look at himself in the mirror and sees the ladies start looking at him.
Jim

Cassie October 21st, 2003 08:53 AM

He does look good ,but my brother has only worn a suit?tux one time and that was his wedding day. Im gonna keep on trying! I just do not want him to miss out!
Cassie