Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2003, 09:14 PM
BremarNov2

Default Safe..Safe?

What do people do with the money they bring? Is it really safe as they say to leave money in your room in the safe? I know that you need no money on the ship but nyou do off the ship and do you reallywant to carry all that on you?

Also...I have read where some don't like the $ 9.75 charge by carnival thatatomatically put on your s&s card per day which is not including money for the Maitre D and waiters etc....some people have said they prefer to hand out envelopes at the end of the cruise. This subject seems to be all over the place and people all have a different view on it..When people tip their waiter at night in dining room is that with cash or S&S?Brenda<><
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Captain

Default Re: Safe..Safe?

Brenda,

the safe in your room is "safe" if I remember correctly you access it using a credit card. You swipe the card the activate it and then it remembers that card..I tried to use my credit card and my husband activated it with with his and I couldn't get into it.

the tipping issue is a personal one and you'll definately ge a lot of different responses to that question. If you leave the tip on your sail and sign card, you can adjust it up, down or remove it at any time before the end of the cruise. If you choose to hand out envelopes, you'll need to give them cash. I've only used the sail and sign card once (on the Pride). Usually I start 3 envelopes at home a few months before the cruise and stick money in the as I can. when the cruise gets here I have the min recommended amount already saved up and can add to it as I feel earned.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise

AKcruiser

Old October 19th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Admiral

The safe is indeed 'safe'. We place all our valuables in there for the duration of the cruise as should everyone. As for the tipping, some prefer to allow the lines to automatically deduct the tips from thier S&S account and handel the distrubution. Some also add to the amount and some lessen the amount and some even remove them entirely and do not tip at all unfortunately. We enjoy tipping in the traditional manner as it is more personal and we think tipping is a personal matter. Therefore what we do is remove the auto tips and request envelopes in which we place an approprate amount depending upon the service we recieved. In all but a very few instances have the tips exceeded the suggested amount. It takes a little time and effort but that time and effort pales in comparison to the time and effort these people gave us.
Jim

Old October 19th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Passenger

When using the safe in the room, I prefer to use my drivers license or some other card with a scannable strip on the back (NOT YOUR S&S CARD). This is just a precation that I read about a while ago to prevent anyone from getting any of your financial information.

If you want to tip with cash that is fine or if you want to put any additional tips on your S&S card all you need to do is go by the Information Desk and make any adjustments (higher or lower).

Old October 20th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Admiral

The Safes are safe as long as you program it with a card that has a magnetic strip but not your S&S card. We use our AAA card or a store loyalty card then hide it. You must use the same card to open the safe at all times. We only take enough cash on shore for our intended needs. I always bring a credit card for purchases over $20.
Tipping: the $9.75 is for your dining room staff - waiter and assistant waiter and your cabin steward plus a very small amount for the general service staff who assists at the buffet, etc. This per person per day charge is optional. You can delete it, adjust it up or down at the Pursor's desk. If you wish to extend additional cash gratuity to the Maitre de, a waiter or assistant, your steward or child care provider, etc. that is entirely up to you. We find the idea of not having to carry an extra $150 in cash a benefit.
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Admiral

One note: the safe is not very large. Not what you are accustomed to. It will not hold a purse, camcorder, wallets, jewelry box, etc, together. It is about the size of a bread box.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:10 PM
ready to go

yes, the safe is fine - it met my needs - wallet, documents, cameras... In terms of the tips, I wasn't sure I liked the idea of the forced tips, but once you're there and you see the level of service and friendliness (exceptional), it's not nearly enough. In addition to the tips added on by the cruise line, all parties in my group each tipped our waiter, assistant waiter, bar server,a nd cabin steward an extra $10 at the end of the cruise. Wish we could have given more - most of them live away from their families and send all money back to them. Every single staff member on our ship was fabulous - tip what you feel is appropriate. It's fine to leave it at the $9.75, or you can cancel or add to it. Up to you.
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Captain

Does the auto tipping cover everyone that you are SUPPOSED to tip, or is there still a cash tip to give out.

Sensation

Old October 20th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Safe..Safe?

The autotipping covers everyone you are expected to tip. The bartenders get 15% on every drink but if you want to get noticed by them and given special attention you should tip them a dollar or two in cash.

Also, the servers carrying drinks to you at the pool might be worthy of something.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Passenger

The auto tipping includes your cabin steward and your DIning Room waiter and his assistant. It does not include the Maitre D. You wil receive an additional envelope on the last evening for him. It is up to you on that one. We didn't see the Maitre D the whole time on our cruise, where in the past they have usually visited the tables a couple times during the week. Drink tips at the bars are automatically added to the bar tab on your Sign and Sail card. I don't believe there is anyone else onboard you need to tip...maybe in the spa?
Belinda
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:36 PM
ehogan

We have never had any problems with using the safe. We generally keep our cash and good jewellry in it.

Just don't be like one passenger, who while on our after cruise tour, remembered she had left all her jewellry in the safe. She had to grab a taxi back to the pier, and who knows what difficulty she had once she was back.

Have fun! You'll be back!
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:54 PM
anita kennedy

You need to tip room service who delivers your room service a couple of dollars. I have read where sometimes people tip their guide on excursions (I did not do excursion) so really don't know what is appropriate and also we gave the taxi driver a couple of extra dollars. That should cover it.
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:55 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Re: Safe..Safe?

Sorry I forgot to cover the porters who help with luggage you tip them also.
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

As a previous poster said, DO NOT USE YOUR S&S CARD it will destroy the strip. Get a CVS, Kroger, Farmer jack or some other coupon card from stores. That way whe the strip goes you can throw out the card. Just make sure you swipe a new one while the safe is open.
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:03 PM
junior

Someone told me the other day as a special touch besides cash, to give the waiters or room stewards calling cards as an added bonus. I still think that cash is the best. What do you all think?
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Using your S&S card will not destroy the strip. A number of folks do in fact use it. It is just better is you use another card so someone that finds your card and somehow finds out which cabin you are in will not have free access to your safe. I use my DL which is hidden in my belongings.
Jim

Old October 21st, 2003, 01:56 AM
BremarNov2

thanks for all your replies. I have a better understanding now and today I also got the call from my TA and tomorrow I pick up my tickets. I am so looking forward to the cruise. Brenda<><
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:52 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

Well it destroyed the strip on my card and the people who sat at the table next to ours. If I were you Id just go with another card.
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Thomas for in info on the size of the safe. Have been wondering how big it was.
Diane

Old October 21st, 2003, 03:49 PM
LHP

We just got off the Holiday and their safe is very large and uses a punch in code. It was my favorite by far. I feel very safe using them. I have left cash and jewerly in there while we go ashore (when we were going swimming, etc). I also love the automatic tipping. You don't have to carry extra cash and the cabin steward and waiters don't get stiffed because some college kid (or irresponsible adult) spent all his cash before the end of the cruise.
Old October 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I understand about the safe. But please help with the tipping. We can take the automatic tipping off our S&S card, how? And we are going for a 7-day my husband and I in the cabin, how much per week for both of us to each person. I have read where some people give a little something on the first day to the cabin steward ($10 or 20) and then more in the end just to have them look out for them, true?
Thanks

Carnival Victory
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Tipping standards are $3.50 per person per day for the cabin steward. Another $3.50 per person per day for the waiter. Another $2.50 per person per day for the assistant waiter. For a total of $9.50 per person per day. For you and your husband that totals to $19 for both of you each day allocated to tips. There may be another charge on the account for the Maitre' D of $0.50 or they may just give you an envelope for tipping him in cash.

We don't usually tip the Maitre' D unless we have a special request which he takes care of for us.

To have the tips adjusted or removed from your account go down to the purser's desk and let them know you want them removed (or adjusted, up or down). Ask them for envelopes to tip in cash.

We always give the cabin steward $10 or $20 at the beginning of the cruise and ask for a special favor, i.e. coffee pot delivered to the room in the morning or fruit delivered in the evening, just to let them know we are not going to stiff them and to stand out from the other 50 people they have to service.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:22 AM
anita kennedy

We leave the automatic tip on because it is the easiest thing to do. That is if you are going to tip the correct amount. Then the last day we get envelopes to give our waiter and room stewart extra if they were good (which they were). If I ask for something special during the trip (I asked the bar waitress not to put alcohol in a particular person's drink, no dh, somebody else that I was buying a drink) and gave her a few extra dollars for her silence. Of course I tipped the room service person when they came. Other than that do a good job and you get a very nice tip at the end, automatic plus extra.