Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:09 PM
first timers

Default alcohol on board

Hi--I have heard that we are allowed to bring on our own bottles of alcohol..was wondering if these can be opened bottles or if the neew to be new and sealed..
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: alcohol on board

You heard wrong. You are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard with you with the exception of a couple bottles of wine or bubbly. Those also need to be in a sealed bottle and not something opened. <G>
Jim

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:45 AM
first timers

thanks JIm--I am glad I asked!!
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:09 AM
Passenger

I jut got back from my cruise...You can bring whatever you want on board...it they check your bag they might take it...They didn't take our 2 bottle of vodka and 1 bottle of captian morgans...
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: alcohol on board

They didn't take them because you snuck them onboard, probably in your checked bags. The fact of the matter is that they do have rules that plainly state that you are not allowed to bring it onboard and that it will be taken and held for you until the last day of the cruise.
JIm

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:00 PM
Admiral

The policy Jim states is correct but it is loosely enforced.

A fellow traveler of ours purchased a few bottles of liquor in Nassau and walked onto the ship with them in a plastic bag. They went through the X-ray scanner and when he picked them up was told by a security staffer that he could take them to the room for an $8 charge. He paid the 8 bucks. No problem.

But that doesn't mean it will happen that way for you. Sometimes it just depends on whether or not the security folks want to deal with confiscating it and hauling it to the stored liquor room.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM
samanthaAxelsson

can we bring a bottle of champagne?
Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM
Captain

Bought booze in Cosumel at duty free and when I got back to ship they had a table set up and took it and put cabin number on it and it was delivered last day of cruise. Prior to the cruise
I went and bought minatures of the stuff I like for a toddy in the room. put the little bottles in my socks and packed in suitcase. Worked perfect some of the minis come in plastic bottles so just threw them in suitcase.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:18 PM
Admiral

As Thomas said, it is often enforced rather erratically. I have often brough booze onboard from a port and I am usually only asked to check it with the guy at the table if I happen to have a box or large bag with a liquor logo on it. I have even been waved on through by the guy collecting after approaching him. I have also seen people with one bottle hidden in a bag with t-shirts told to check the bottle. Now maybe because I return onboard without the smell of booze on me might have something to do with it, I just don't know. <G> Official policy is you cannot bring it onboard for personal consumption and I do know that when you intitially board they are very strict about it.
Jim

Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

On my recent cruise, I had 2 bottles in my carry-on and I went right through security with them. Although they were the allowed champagne, no-one questioned me or asked to check what they were.

In Cozumel we bought 3 bottles and fully expected it to be confiscated and given to us at the end of the cruise. Security put it through the scanner and said "Have a nice night".
Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:51 AM
Passenger

Is there a place near the pier to buy Champagne or should we pack a bottle in our suitcase before we leave? Also we would like to have some liquor ( rum) in our room. Since our checked luggage will go directly from the plane to the ship, would it be best to pack a bottle in our bag before leaving home? We don't plan on being in our room that often and will do most of our drinking on deck or in the bars but it would be nice to be able to have a drink or 2 on our balcony when we're in the room.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:14 PM
Admiral

"Since our checked luggage will go directly from the plane to the ship, would it be best to pack a bottle in our bag before leaving home?.....Gilligan

How else would you get liquor in your bag? What most people do is transfer the liquor into some sort of plastic bottle and put it in a Zip Lock baggie and into the checked luggage. It should be safe.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

they will take the alcohol if you carry it on - pack it in your luggage.
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Admiral

The things adults do to sneak booze aboard is too funny..lol. Saw a guy in cozmel draining water bottles and refilling with booze. What amazed more than what he was doing was wondering how he or any 3 people could drink that much on a cruise.

Old October 29th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Yeoman

I actually used a mouthwash bottle, (empty) and filled it with Absolut, a few drops of food coloring and it looked just like scope! It was actually held in the hand of a security person at the scanner. I also carried it back nearly full. It was a waste of time and source of anxiety. Who wants to run back and forth for a drink. Not me! Soo, my liquor got a vacation too, and my sail and sign reciept wouldn't fit under the door! I figure the money I saved buying my years supply of liquor duty free in the ports, may as well go to the bar! And the drinks are awesome! I serve the blue absolut to my friends at home and tell them it is Caribbean Vodka.

Lesley

Conquest 9/03

PS. The drinks are really priced about the same as the nightclub district in St. Louis or Chicago. Actually cheaper than the drinks purchased on Bourbon Street, NO.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:58 PM
NicoleM

Thats a very good idea about the scope and food coloring cruznRN!!! I never thought of that!
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Granny

I just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Glory (10/18-10/25) and I purchased 6 pints of rum in Nassau. I put the bag on the scanner to board the ship and it was not taken from me. However, I purchased vodka, apple pucker and triple sec in St. Thomas and it was taken and given back on the last day of the cruise. My one friend purchased a fifth of cognac which was not taken from her and the other had 2 fifths of gin. They had placed their bottles in carry on bags purchased on the island and my alcohol was placed in a sealed box at the liquor store.

Sovereign of the Seas - 9/98
Imagination - 10/2000
Glory - 10/2003
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Jeni

where did you store those bottles?
Old October 30th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Granny

Default Re: Re: Re: alcohol on board

Jeni, we stored the bottles in our room. We simply placed them in the closet. We would sometimes have a drink while getting dressed for dinner or just to socialize on the lido deck. We sometimes left the bottles on the table. The room stewart never touched them or reported them.