Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:53 PM
first timers

Default West Carribean--mosquitoes??

I am packing for the Oct 26th trip and since I have never been to Western Carribean, I was wondering if mosquitoes are a problem out there...Do I need to even bother bringing OFF?
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: West Carribean--mosquitoes??

Depends on where in the Western you are going. For the most part you will not see any mosquitoes unless you take a jungle trek.
Jim

Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
Andee

We've never envcountered mosquitos in the Western Caribbean, but usually take a small bug spray, just in case.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:21 PM
Passenger

same here...didn't notice any bugs along the beaches. But we didn't venture into the jungles.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:42 AM
LHP

We were in Cozumel last week and for the first time we encountered flies. Since I just like to sit at the table under the thatched roof while the boys swim and not get out in the sun....they were really a nuisance. They were everywhere. We were there just a few months ago (exact same table on the beach ) but it was a breezy day and this was not a problem. So I am seriously considering taking a couple of this little thin pest strips with me in December, just in case. I had heard the flies are worse on the other side of the island...but this is the first time we had experienced them on the tourist side. No other critters...just flies. (And not the kind that bite...just annoying)
Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:00 AM
First Mate

We heard some people complain about them cave tubing in Belize, but never anywhere else!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:04 AM
SharonHe

I have been warned about the sand flies in Roatan Honduras. If you are going there be sure to use lots of insect repellant as the bites itch like crazy for days after. They are small and hard to see and sometimes you don't realize you're getting bitten.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:51 AM
ready to go

we went in sept. the only problem was in belize - did tour of Altun Ha ruins - they were terrible there!!!! i'd bring some along just in case.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:41 PM
Sooshie

We were there last week 10/12-10/18. We visited Key West, Cozumel and Belize. We did notice the flies were pretty bad on the beach at Nachi Cocom, but it didn't ruin our day. We also went cave tubing in Belize (a blast, by the way) and did get a few mosquito bites...and we were using bug spray. The only time they bothered us was while walking through the jungle...during the actual tubing it was ok. They were no where near as bad as they are on the East Coast. Have fun.