Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Default Locking Luggage??

I know we have to leave our checked bags unlocked for our flight but can we lock them once we pick it up at baggage claim and before we hand it over to the Carnival transportation folks? Or do they require that they be unlocked for inspection?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Locking Luggage??

When we went in February, we had put wire ties on our luggage before we left. This way the airline could open them easily if they wanted to inspect the bags. They then reseal them with their own wire ties. When we retrieved our luggage at the airport, the wire ties were still intact so we left them on there. We had brought along luggage locks to put on before our luggage was put on the boat, but we didn't use them. I don't believe there is anything stating that you cannot.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Hi,
My experience is that I put plastic ties on my luggage upon arrival at the airport and have a few extras in my pocket in case the inspectors want to see inside of the luggage. Have only had to re-tie rarely at the airport. Upon embarking on the ship I also put the ties on my luggage and have never had any of them cut off for inspection. Also it is wise to pack in your carry on luggage some large toe nail clippers to cut the ties off in your cabin. Hope this helps.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:19 PM
BremarNov2

Default Re: Re: Locking Luggage??

this is the first time I have heard of not locking your luggage. I have travelled all over and never left my luggage unlocked. Is this new? Where did you hear that you should eave it unlocked? thanks Brenda<><
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:10 PM
First Mate

Since 9/11 everytime we board a plane we've been asked if we have left our checked bags unlocked. This is so security can go through them after we check them. Occasionally a note will be left that the inside of the bag was opened and inspected. We've always been told (since 9/11) to remove any locks and place them inside.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

Let me pass on what TSA people told me. You can lock your checked luggages and you should always. However, if they want to inspect inside, they will cut your lock if you are not there to unlock it. If they inspect inside, they are supposed to seal it up with a zip tie and place a note inside. So if you do not want to wait for them just in case they want you to unlock your bag and you also do not want your lock cut, use a zip tie to lock your checked luggage. Make sure you have something to cut the zip tie though.

I always make sure I lock all of my bags upon arrival of the cruise port. The cruise company will scan the checked bags but I never seen them inspect inside.

Adventure of the Seas
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM
BremarNov2

Thanks for passing that on, I would not know where t find these zip ties and what would you take that you could get through the scan to cut them with? Do you mean cut them when you get to the ship in your room...I would imagine the airlines doesn't expect you to carry somthing to cut them.thanks Brenda
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Locking Luggage??

Luggage locks are really useless for the most part as a simple jerk oiften opens them up. They do help to keep your luggage closed. Best bet and what we have been using for over 7 years are cable ties, (those plastic strips that interlock). They will still not prevent anyone from getting into your luggage is they want to but you will know immediately if anyone has because they have to be broken to be removed. I highly recommend them and could care less what TSA thinks. There are way too many reports of theft from luggage to leave it unlocked (including TSA who have been caught stealing). If these cable ties are borken or removed inspect your luggage immediately and make a report, a REAL police report and not just something to the airport security.
Jim

Old October 24th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Angel

Here's experience. Lock your bags. Show up a little bit earlier to the airport.
Tell the person at the ticket counter that you would like to leave your bags locked . They will then tell you to go over to the xray machine where your luggage will go through. After it goes through the xray machine, they will tell you if they need you to remove your lock or not. It took us an addtional 5 minutes or so. NO big deal. I was glad to lock my bag.
My Mother a month proio had her bag opened and they took a bunch of her clothes. It was pretty sad for her. Anyway, lock 'em up and just go a little earlier! Good luck everyone!
Old October 24th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

BremarNov2,
Cable ties and zip ties are the same thing. They are thin plastic serrated strip with a connector on 1 end, so that once you loop and connected it will not come out in reverse. You can buy these anywhere; just ask for cable tie or zip tie. I always put in my checked bag an old swiss army knife in an unlock pocket so I can use it to cut the zip tie.
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:52 PM
BremarNov2

Default Re: Re: Locking Luggage??

Yes I am familiar with what they look like now( the cable ties) i just have to find them somewhere....I am in canada and I am sure the canadian tire stores should carry them.
That is really sad having your mothers things taken. It is funny that I never heard any of this from my TA...thanksfor your advice Brenda<><
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to YankeesBrat

I unlocked mine before boardin the plane and used either keychain loops or the luggage tags to keep them closed. Once I picked my luggage up I locked it before leaving it with Carinval. Locked it again when I left it outside my room the night before disembarking, but unlocked it again when I got to the airport....
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cable ties are very inexpensive.....I purchase them at our local Wal-Mart in the fishing department. (They are excellent to tie down fishing poles to the top of SUV)
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:28 PM
NicoleM

If i use the cable ties, how can i get them off?? Are we allowed to bring sissors or anything with us or even a swiss army knife?? I just didnt know if it would get taken away during xray in the airports?
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Nicole,

I'm sure you already have one of these - handheld zippered manicure kit. Place it in your checked on bag. The large clippers cut the cable ties.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:54 PM
NicoleM

Ok!! I sure do! Thanks Rhonda