Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Handicap access & Services

I have a very dear friend who just put down the down payment for the May 2004 on the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera. Her husband is a quadraplegic. They haven't gotten a room assignment yet. But being a quadraplegic he can not use a shower to bathe, he needs a tub. are there any handicap staterooms that have tubs. and does anyone know if the ship has a lift available for moving him from the chair to the bed or tub and back?
Has any one ever stayed in one of the cabins that are designed for the handicaped? Has anyone came across any thing that would be helpful to know about the ship and access problems?
My husband and I & our teenage kids will be on the Pride Nov 30 - Dec 7 so we will be able to find out some things for them, but would really like to hear from other handicaped passengers any tidbits they would liked to have known before they traveled.
Also which ports in the Mexican Riviera can a wheelchair bound person not access because of tendering?

Post Edited (10-24-03 03:32)
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Captain

Default Re: Handicap access & Services

I have not been on the Pride and I am not handicapped, however on my last couple cruises on Carnival I talked with a couple wheel chair passengers about what they thought of Carnival for cruising for their needs. They said that the newer Carnival ships were some of the best they had found for getting around in the wheel chair and for meeting their needs as a handicapped person. The people I had talked with had only cruised on 2 or 3 different cruise lines.

I did not get into detail with them about the rooms but they did say they would deffinately use Carnival again due to the handicap friendliness of the rooms.

Again I am not handicapped I am just going by what a few handicapped passengers told me. I was asking them because we do sell cruises and I did want to know if they felt their needs were being met.
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Ken Thomas

Default Re: Handicap access & Services

My 26 year old son is a quadriplegic and we have taken him on two cruises. Because we do not carry a shower chair, we give him sponge baths in bed. We did bring along an inflatable hair wash basin. We brought our own lift because I do not believe they furnish them on any ships. We always get a handicap because we need the extra space with the power wheelchair. I encourage you to ask questions as I learned a long time ago not to leave anything to chance. I hate surprises when it comes to my son. Post again if you need more information. I will give you my e-mail address if you like.