Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2003, 12:27 PM
CruzerLadee101

Default decorating balconies

Hi-
I was wondering if it's okay to decorate your balcony? Like with lights and such.
Carnival Destiny is the ship. I called the Carnival number, but they didn't know.
I was thinking of decorating the balcony with christmas lights. I am looking for the battery ones, I saw them in a dollar store a few years ago, I am having a hard time finding them now.
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: decorating balconies

we have and it was fun, everyone knew where we where, I have heard some lines don't like you to light it up, but we had no problem
have fun
jo
Old October 26th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Admiral

What if your neighbors on the other sides of you would like to enjoy their balconies without being lit up like a christmas tree?
Old October 26th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Geri617

Default Re: Re: decorating balconies

then they can say something
Old October 26th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Admiral

would it matter if they did? Probably not.
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:34 PM
katty

the neighbors on the other side of me might not like my 3 yr old but i am not going to get rid of her. my suggestion to the person on the other side of the balcony that does not like the lights on their balcony would be not to put them on their side.
Old October 27th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Admiral

Picture this...beautiful moonlight shining on your balcony...you and your significant other holding eachother...then the balcony below, above or beside yours cut on XMas lights..red, blue, white lights light up ...I turn to Deb and say "sweety where did we pack the scissors?" <G> Trust me, I would . Katty, thats all well and good...but when she starts screaming, please take her back into the cabin.

Old October 27th, 2003, 08:04 AM
katty

since it is so easy to ruin your vacation due to all of the petty things that are none of your business, have you ever thought of say....staying home?
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Mary M.

I purchased and took with me a small string of Christmas white twinkle lights for the balcony. I noticed by the door a sign that "drapes should be kept closed at night when lights are on because it could interfere with navigation" . I did not put my lights up, and asked an officer who stated something about each ship having certain navigation lights and configurations and that if everyone put lights outside it would confuse other ships. Sounded good to me and I did notice that when it was dark all dining room drapes were closed too. JMHO.
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:38 AM
First Mate

What about hanging a wreath on your cabin door? Im taking a small (4") tree for inside my cabin...... course my biggest hang up is do I really want to haul all this stuff with me in the first place

Carnival Spirit

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Ok--how about I dig out my old boom-box and crank it up real nice and loud--according to some people's thinking, if someone shouldn't like it, they should just stay home right?
No. Everyone should just try to have a little rspect for each other. I would never play loud music on my balcony, nor in my cabin that might be a disturbance to someone else. I also would never decorate a balcony with bright christmas lights that would probably be a big nuisance to others. It's tacky--plain tacky-- not to mention a gross lack of respect for fellow passengers-- not to mention the safety aspect of having electrical lights strung around. One last thing---just who is supposed to see them , other that the one who hung them up and their neighbors ??---the ship that's passing 12 miles off port, or the folks on some distant island looking in awe and saying " they have their balcony decorated with christmas lights--cool ". Be sensible and be respective of others. It goes a long way.
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Cuzin4fun1010

Ron- Go have a glass of wine and perhaps a hot reaxing bath. You really need to relax.
If someone wants to decorate their balcony, then they should. They are paying as much as the next guy. The also sell battery operated light strands. Who says they will stay lit all night. Maybe they enjoy the light and sparkle on their balcony. As for me, I think it's a great idea to decorate the balcony.
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:47 AM
sls

The more I read this thread the more I'm with Ron. I'm paying good money for my cruise too and why should I be subjected to unwanted lights and screaming 3 year olds. Maybe I will bring my boom box to drowned out the sound of your child.

sls
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:59 AM
katty

the point is that there are other people that paid good money as well. everybody has their own version of a good time. my version of a good time would be to have a very festive environment, possible including lights. if you wanted to play loud music that would also be alright with me, my 3 year old would probably be the first one to start dancing. putting lights on my own private balcony on a cruise would no more hurt you than you being in the room next to me dancing to your music. if you are going to be on a vacation do you really need to find a hundred petty things to ruin your vacation?
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Admiral

The problem as I see it is when you bring the lights, the boom box, the fat cigars, etc. you are imposing yourself into somebody else's realm without an invitation.

I may enjoy your music booming from your balcony, but then I may not care for it either. I rather doubt you'd ask me if the tunes you selected are favorable with me. I wouldn't expect you to ask, however you have imposed your music on me anyway.

Everyone paid for their vacation. We are a cruising family which must share the same ship and reside next to each other for the duration. Please be respectful of each other and make the little sacrifices necessary to keep law and order and let everyone enjoy their vacation. If you leave your lights at home maybe the next door neighbor will leave his boombox at home too.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Admiral

I agree w/Ron, if you want loud music, that's what the discos are for, and Camp Carnival is where your screaming 3 year old belongs....on the other hand, your considerate 3 year old belongs in the suite/cabin next to me...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 29th, 2003, 11:01 AM
First Mate

The only time Im in my cabin is late at night and early in the morning in the first place. Maybe a stop in the afternoon for a snooze but really that's about it. I agree with not disrespecting your neighbors but then on the other hand the person that complains about the lights is probably the same person that is above me and dumped his drink onto my balcony the night before........... come on folks, lets just head to the bar for a happy hour cocktail cause it's 5 'oclock somewhere!!!!

Carnival Spirit