Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default No one will listen

Dear Cruisemate Friends
I haven't went on my trip yet, but I have learned so much from everything that everyone has share on the boards. We had a meeting at our church for our trip and I asked some questions that basically I already knew the answers but felt like other needed to know some facts. One thing was the birth cert., they felt they didn't need state issued ones I called Carnival myself but they didn't think it important. And tipping, I asked about tipping the person that loads your bags from the dock. They said we don't tip we care on ourselfs. I don't want people in my group to be unprepared, but who would want to listen to a person that hasn't been on a cruise. I feel prepared thanks to all of you.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: No one will listen

They are going to be in for some trouble if they go without official birth certificates! Your TA nee4ds to be telling these people what the rules are and that they will not be allowed to bvoard unless they follow them as it is the law. There is no such thing as a free pass anymore or just letting it slide because they are good people. Tell them that they do in fact need wither a passport or a state issued birth certificate, (an original issue and not a xerox copy they make at the local 7/11) and a state or government issued photo ID. This is required by law.
As for tipping the porters, they will be taking thier bags onboard for them unless they have a bunch of small carry-ons. It it does not fit through the x-ray scanner, (same type as in the airports), then it must be checked and the porter place it on the ship for them. Tipping is never required but it is customary and the proper thing to do.
Jim

Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:06 AM
Captain

Jim has told you right. They will need a copy of a birth certificate with an official raised seal and a proper picture ID or else a passport. The x-ray machines at security only handle carryon size bags anything bigger than that should be sent through with the dock personnel. Even though tipping is a personal thing the people taking the luggage will have their hand out for a tip.

As Jim said the TA that is handling the group should make a point of contacting these people and letting them know what is required, otherwise they may be in for a real rude awakening when they try to board.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:59 AM
First Mate

Below is from Carnival's web site, you might want to print it out and give them a copy.

What is required for proof of citizenship?
U.S. Immigrations determines the correct documents guests must have in their possession in order to travel. Proper travel documentation is required throughout the cruise and is the responsibility of the guest. Anyone not having proper documentation will be denied boarding at the port of embarkation without the benefit of a refund.

U.S. security procedures require all airline and cruise line passengers 16 or older to present official photo I.D. upon check-in.

The following documentation is required in order to sail on ALL cruise departures, including Cruises-to-Nowhere.

U.S. Citizens (only need 1 of the bulleted items)

Passport, valid or expired less than 10 years or,
Original birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
Certified, state issued copy of a birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
U.S. Military I.D., valid or expired, and a photo I.D. or,
Original naturalization papers and a photo I.D.

Canadian Citizens

Valid passport or,
Original birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
Certified, state issued copy of a birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
Original naturalization papers and a photo I.D.

U.S. Resident Aliens

Valid Alien Resident card (green card) with photo I.D.

Aliens (Non-U.S. Citizens)

Valid passport
Valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa
Aliens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must have a valid unexpired passport

Debarking in Mexico Over 24 Hours

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure. Additionally, if debarking with children, guests must have a notarized affidavit from any absent parent indicating permission to travel with the accompanying adult.

Special Notes:

1 - A photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age or older. The photo I.D. does NOT have to be issued by a Driver's License Bureau or any type of Government office.

2 - U.S. and Canadian Citizens only - As long as the original birth certificate or the certified copy have been issued by the state of birth, it does not matter whether there is a raised seal of if the birth certificate is in the form of a plastic card.

3 - The name on the photo I.D. must be identical to the name on the proof of citizenship document. In the event of a name change, supporting documentation is required.

4 - Resident Aliens - Must surrender their green card at embarkation. It will be returned at Immigration check-in upon arrival back into the United States.

5 - Aliens (Non-U.S. Citizens) - Must surrender their passport at embarkation. It will be returned at Immigration check-in upon arrival back into the United States.

6 - For cruises that visit or transit Canada, citizens of some countries may require a Visa. This includes Alaska cruises and cruises from New York. Guests must check with the Canadian Consulate for documentation requirements.

7 - U.S. Resident Aliens and Aliens - Should contact the consulates of the islands/countries which they will be visiting to inquire about necessary travel documentation.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 12:28 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: No one will listen

If you don't tip, don't be surprised if your luggage winds up somewhere else.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

We tipped $1.00 for each piece of luggage and each hanging bag. These people are very nice and deserve something for all their hard work. They will tell you that they do not work for the cruise line and then it's up to you.........

Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:28 PM
Captain

Tipping is not just a thing to do....it is the right thing to do. They are doing a service for you and a tip and a gesture of thank you is how they are to be thanked. Put yourself in there shoes, they are no different than a bellboy at a hotel or the cab driver you use.
Old November 4th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Trust me I have done my homework. My husband and I will be as prepared as possible thank to Cruisemates. I even gave them this web site, but again they don't want to listen to someone who have never cruised. Five couples have cruise, but not since 9/11. Thanks again.
Pam M