Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:33 PM
cruisaholic

Default Elation Azipod troubles

I was on the Elation last week. We were not able to make our stop in Belize due to a problem with the azipods. We were in Cozumel on Wednesday as planned and left on time. Sometime during the night we must have been experiencing trouble, because early Thursday morning we received a letter under our door stating that we would be heading back to Cozumel instead of going to Belize because of trouble with the azipods. The note went on to say that technicans were being brought to Cozumel to work on the ship. No hotel functions were affected. The note stated that we would be in Cozumel until 10:00PM. We left at the stated time.

I remember this ship having trouble with the azipods before...I think that she had even been drydocked to make some repairs.

I didn't really mind. I was able to do other things in Cozumel on the second day.

We arrived back in Galveston yesterday morning as planned.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:30 PM
LuvCruising

Default Re: Elation Azipod troubles

I was also on this cruise and I loved it that we were able to stay in Cozumel for another day! I wish that this was a 2 day port call all the time! Looking forward to booking this cruise again for early or late spring!
Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:41 PM
Captain

Thanks for the info. I don't care either way, as long as I'm not at home at work!!

AKcruiser

Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Captain

Not that it matters either way, but did they offer any compensation?

AKcruiser

Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Hi,

My wife and I were on the same cruise and would love to have met with you! However, we did mind the extra day in Cozumel instead of Belize, since we booked the cruise to visit Progresso and Belize, two ports that were new to us. Having been on other cruises where a port was missed due to engine problems, we expected something something from Carnival other than a piece of paper under our door. I guess Carnival is not like the other lines we have cruised. CA, what costume did you wear on Halloween? I took pictures!
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:13 PM
cruisaholic

It was also my first time to Progreso and would have been my first time to Belize.

When I told my parents that our ports of call were Progreso, Cozumel and Cozumel. They were like what happened to Belize?

No, I do not know of any compensation. We just went back to Cozumel instead of another sea day, that would have made 3 sea days before reaching Galveston.

I was a Harley-Davidson girl.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:45 PM
leesmits

Elation was in dry dock last year due Azipod problems.

Also, I was on Triumph 2 weeks ago when there was an engine room power failure that also effected the AC for a couple of hours, but that was at 2:00 in the morning, so it didn't get that hot. It also put us 2 hours behind getting back to Miami, and Carnival did credit everyone's sail and sign $25.
Old November 4th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Call me stupid guys, but what are Azipod's?

Old November 4th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Elation Azipod troubles

Azipods are the propulsion systems favored by the newer built ships. The props are driven by an electric motor and can rotate in 360 degree circle, thereby making it much easier for the ships to dock it tight quarters.

Quite a few of the ships with these systems have had problems in the past year. They are apparently more troublesome than they first believed.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 4th, 2003, 01:56 PM
kittyg

we went to Belize the week before you on Elation----trust me you did not miss anything---Belize has got alot to go to get my vote as best sea port--maybe in 10yrs
Old November 4th, 2003, 03:21 PM
First Mate

Hi, we are going on the Elation in the Spring, maybe we will meet. We are traveling with our family. We would love to snorkel in Cozumel. Did you snorkel, while you were there? If so, would you recommend one of the ship's snorkeling excursions? Or, is it possible to just go to a reef on your own?

Thanks
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Passenger

We were on the 10/26/03 cruise from Galveston as well. We had signed up for the cave tubing in Belize and were very disappointed that we had to spend another day in Cozumel. Had we KNOWN we were going to have that extra day, we could've made plans to do something other than MORE SHOPPING and expensive drinking at Carlos N Charlies. This was our first cruise and we'd been told by seasoned cruisers that it would be a very smooth ride. Due to the problems aforementioned it was a very rough and rocky cruise. There was an almost constant vibrating and swaying of the ship. We talked to one guy who'd been on 12 cruises before and he said this was very abnormal. I believe the ship went out 11/2/03 as scheduled. I wonder if they kept the same itenerary? Anyway, if it hadn't been for the good-natured group of people (including the gay convention!) we would've been miserable. I feel I could give Carnival another chance but they'd have to make restitution for missing a port of call due to their mechanical problems (which they HAD to have known about before we left port!). By the way, did anyone else see the huge black plumes of smoke coming from one of the lower decks Saturday afternoon??? The staff was sure interested in them....
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:49 AM
cruisaholic

Jeanie,

Yes, I did see the smoke.

Some of us were in the hot tub located toward the rear of the ship behind the fantail and saw this. My husband and some of our friends went to look over the back to see where the smoke came from.

We did notice that some people from security and a couple of officers came to look also.

We were told that they were testing the emergency generators. We were also told that they ususally do this while in port, so as passengers would not notice. The securitiy people didn't seem to know anything about the test.

I don't know if I believe any of this.
Old November 5th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Elation Azipod troubles

I'm planning a letter to planetfeedback.com. I will include this information in that letter but will not mention any names. Why would they test something like that when at sea without telling the passengers there's nothing to be concerned about? They're not telling the truth in my opinion....
ja
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:15 PM
First Mate

He;;p,

I believe that contained in the documents sent with the tickets, etc. you will find a statement that says if for some reason, a port is missed, that Carnival is now responsable. Sometimes if a port has tenders, such as Grand Cayman, the port authority will not allow the passangers to disimbark into port on the tenders. This happened to friends of our last year. It made for another day at sea. I guess they figure that, in that case they can't control the weather. I still find a cruise very relaxing and do enjoy all the activities onboard.
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:19 PM
First Mate

Sorry about the spelling. I meant to say Carnival is NOT responsible.
Old November 5th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Passenger

The port was missed due to mechanical malfunction, not an act of God or concern for safety of passengers. The Elation had obvious problems BEFORE leaving Galveston. The problems just became worse after leaving Cozumel (the first time). It was not all that relaxing I'm sorry to say. I feel Carnival needs to make restitution of some sort.
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Admiral

I agree. I have been on other ships where a port was missed for mechanical reasons, and the cruise line did make restitution. I guess this will be our last cruise on Carnival.
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Happy Camper

Earlier this year we missed Playa Del Carmen on the Jubilee and had two days in Cozumel which we perfered. I think it was $12 per person on our sail and sign cards that they gave us. But I have to think - if we miss a port then giving the port fees back is reasonable but when we had to stay in Cozumel overnight that meant more port fees to Cozumel so I am surprised they gave us anything back. With such low prices on cruises now they really do not tend to make restitution since they can barely afford to go out in the first place for what they are charging - they count on the bar sales and tours to make up.... Debbie
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Admiral

You know, I don't feel sorry for poor Carnival Cruise Lines having to pay an extra port fee at Cozumel. We missed one third of our destinations, and an extra day in Cozumel wasn't satisfactory to those of us who had booked special tours in Belize. In addition, we have been on 19 cruises, and overall services aboard Elation were the worst we have encountered. If anyone wants an elaboration, please E-mail me.