Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Holiday?

Anyone recently cruise from New Orleans on the Holiday? I heard some bad things about this boat, but we are already booked for December 20-25. This will be first cruise so maybe I won't know how bad it is! Ha! Anyone that has been on this ship, let me know how you liked it.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:10 PM
Marie of San Diego

Default Re: Carnival Holiday?

Hello,
We are also book ed on the Holiday cruise, but are leaving New Orleans on Dec. 25th. I also have read some bad reviews as well as some good review of this cruise, and the good reviews have far outnumbered the bad. Most negative reviews had to do with bad weather and a grounding in the Miss. River. As long-term sailboaters we realize that these things happen and can even add to the adventure and the memories of your holiday. If you can share any information that you receive on the this cruise I would appreciate it. Happy sailings.
Marie
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:50 PM
Bmaintz

We jumped to the Conquest after receiving an Email from Carnival....
It was $359 (including port charges) & after I called it was $331 per person...
We had orginally booked the Conquest over 6 monts back at $1298 for the two of us....
Ten we changed to the Holidy at about 1/2 the cost...
We cancled the Holiday a couple of days ago & took just under $300 penality to get on the Conquest... We sail on Nov.16th.....
I have learned ONE thing after all of this..... I will book the Conquest 2 to 3 weeks before the departure date to get the best deal...If they are sold out then we will have alternate dates...
A 7 day cruise on the Conquest for $331 including port charges is a DEAL!!!
I deal with Jennifer Sommerkamp at Carnival & not a travel agent...
Bob
Old November 4th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Admiral

I've been on the Holiday when it sailed out of the West Coast. It's a nice little ship, no large atrium as in the larger ships, but my Mom & sister and I had a great time! It's all what you make of it...the staff was very nice, the shore excursions interesting, and we had a wonderful time!

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:00 AM
LHP

We have sailed on the Holiday twice since July. (July 5th and October 11th) You will have a wonderful time. The Holiday is going into drydock the first part of December, so your cruise will probably be the first one after the drydock. It is the oldest ship in the Carnival fleet....but as someone who has sailed the smallest to the biggest on Carnival.....it is a wonderful ship. They have already redone the cabins. There was no "smell" in our rooms. The first time we were on Upper and the second time we were on Riveria. There was an "odor" around the stairwells that you caught sometimes when walking up and down the stairs. And sometimes there is an odor before you leave port. But we have never had a consistant problem with that. We love this ship. It is small enough to get around and large enough to keep you entertained.

The Breeze is a duo that plays in the Tahiti Lounge. They are excellent. They have been on this ship for over two years and are a lot of fun. If Jane is still in the piano bar....she is WONDERFUL. Terrence ran Karaoke in the Tahiti Lounge. If you are really into karaoke and have your own CD's ....take them. Sometimes the selection is limited. Music Power is a band from the Phillipines that plays in the Doc Holliday lounge and they are great also. Captain Donato has been with Carnival for over 23 years and he takes great pride in his ship. The staff were wonderful both times. The food in the formal dining room was always good. The buffet in the Lido was also good most of the time...but that is just because I am a picky eater and I realize that. The pizza, hamburgers and icecream are GREAT!

The one thing we love about Carnival (along with the price) is the consistency from ship to ship. We like knowing what to expect. They have always delivered.

Also realize that the ports listed at probably PlLaya Del Carmen first and then Cozumel. Both trips we went to Cozumel first and then on to Playa. Cozumel is VERY safe and lots of fun. Let us know what you want to do and we can suggest some placed to visit.
At Playa...you will either be docked at Calica (which means a trip to downtown Playa will cost you $10 each way per cab) or you will be tendered directly into Playa's downtown district. The Cruise Director gives a little informative talk and they will let you know which will be happening.

Suggestions for first time cruisers.
1. Hand sanitizer!! Take it and leave it on your desk. Apply it EVERY time you enter and leave the room. We have been on three "Norwalk" cruises and have never gotten sick. (And having two boys that live in the arcade...that is saying something!)

2. I usually take about $50 in 1 dollar bills for tipping room service...requesting songs at the piano bar etc. Everything else will be put on your sail and sign card....also known as your drink and sink card!

3. The most important thing to pack is a good attitude. You are on vacation. Realize that the worst day on a cruise...is better than your best day at work!!! Relax and go with the flow. Use these boards to get the info you need.

I have some pictures on the webshot. I will try to copy the web address over to this site. It shows you the Holiday...rooms etc from our July trip.

Hope this helps.
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:04 AM
LHP

http://community.webshots.com/user/lhp0511

I am not computer smart enough to make this a link...you will just have to type in the address to see the pictures. My son and I are thinking about taking this Dec 20th cruise as well. (Hubby has to work and other son has vacation plans already.) That would make 3 times in 6 months. I think that is a pretty good indication that this ship is just fine!!!
Old November 6th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Willie Miller

Default Re: Re: Carnival Holiday?

Thanks for the info. I will be on the cruise with wife and daughters age 13 and 9. We are from Beaumont, Texas. We are first timers! We will probably take the snorkel,catamaran at Cozumel, but want to find a nice quiet beach at Playa. Any suggestions?
We have been a Disney vacation type family, so a good attitude is what we always bring!
If you make the cruise, look us up!
I am going check out the photos on your site, also.
Thanks,
Willie
Old November 8th, 2003, 10:39 AM
LHP

Willie: When you get to Playa...one of two things will happen. You will either anchor right at Playa and get tendered in (which happened both times this year for us) OR you will dock at Calica and have to pay $10 one way for a taxi to take you to Playa. (which happened to some friends of ours last month). You won't know which will happen until the Cruise Director tells you. All our boys like to do is play on the beach...so hubby and I sit at Senor Frogs (in the nice cool shade) and have a drink while we watch the boys play on the beach below. Senor Frogs is right at the dock where you are tendered in. You will notice that Cozumel has harder sand (broken shell sand) but Playa has the soft sand. There is a ton of beach on either side of the downtown area with vendors who will rent you shaded lounges for about $10 each for the day. Our boys only play for a couple of hours....(usually from 9-noon) so we just sit at Senor Frogs and spend that $10 on a frozen marg! Cozumel is very safe and very tourist friendly...so don't worry. However, Playa has just become a real stopping point for these ships...so their folks are not quite as tourist friendly yet. They are not as bad as Jamacians ....but they can be a bit abrasive.

To do snorkeling in Cozumel, (from what I have heard) is suppose to be the best at the Chak (a long name I can't spell) Park. They have a man made lagoon that was built for this purpose. Snorkling right off the beach will not be as productive because of the waves. I don't know where the Catamarans take you...so you will have to get advice from someone more experienced on them. You do not have to take a shore excursion from Carnival to snorkel at Chak Park. It will be $14 one way for the taxi and $10 per person to get into the park. They have all the equipment you can rent to snorkel right there. The Park also has other interests to entertain you. If I can find the website I will post it for you. There are also plenty of taxis to take you back to the pier. They are like ants in Cozumel. When you get back to the ship from where ever you snorkle....you can pay $6 per taxi to take 4 of you to the downtown area. There they have the shops along the main drag. If you walk 3 blocks inland from the main square...there is a putt putt golf course that is totally tropical that is owned and run by Sally and her husband. They are US transplants from Penn (I think). Super nice people and a very unusual course.
There is also a bar called Riley's that is 3 blocks inland on La Mission (from the store Viva La Mexico) that is a neat place to go if you like talking to Americans who have relocated there. Stuart is the owner and he is a hoot. There are some 3,000 Americans who now live in Cozumel.

You should have plenty of time, because even though the plan says 8-5 in Cozumel...both times we went this year Captain Donato let us stay in Cozumel from 8am to midnight.

Cozumel is a place you can get adventurous and still be safe ...so go and have a blast.