CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Booking on Orbitz Question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/193117-booking-orbitz-question.html)

keilcase November 4th, 2003 11:29 AM

Booking on Orbitz Question

I'm looking to book a cruise for January through Orbitz and was wondering if it was a good or bad idea to book the "guaranteed" stateroom rather than selecting a specific room. I'm obviously trying to keep costs down and this seemed like a way to limit costs. How often are you placed in the worst room?

Also, if I book now, should it go down in price too much from what it is today?

Jim Bragg November 4th, 2003 12:34 PM

Re: Booking on Orbitz Question

Hard to really say. If you cannot abide by a cabin that is far forward or in the aft or whatever then you may wish to book a specific cabin. If on the other hand you are like us and the location does not matter at all then a GTY is the way to go. Just make sure you book a cabin at least in the lowest catogory that you can stand. A upgrade is not always forthcoming. If you have to have an outside then book at least an outside.
As for the pricing....that is a million dollar question. It is almost always better to book early as you know that the price at least cannot be raised on you. If it goes down you sometimes are able to get the better priceing so that is mostly a win-win situation. Check around the various agencies and fnd one that gives you a great price and service and then book with them and be happy. Remember that the best price is not always the lowest nor does a higher price mean better service. You have to be happy and feel right about the agent you are dealing with. Enjoy your cruise and if we can help, just ask us.
JIm

keilcase November 4th, 2003 12:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't really care where the room is. I've been on one cruise and the only time we were in the room was to sleep, so it doesn't matter if I have a view or not. The only thing I am worried about is getting stuck with bunkbeds. It will be me and my girlfriend so bunkbeds are not exactly geared towards a couple. Can I request a room without bunkbeds if I book a "guaranteed" room?

Jeni November 4th, 2003 01:01 PM

I found that it just depends on the cruise. My friend and I went on a cruise a few years ago and booked about two weeks in advance. We ended up paying a lot less then most of the people on the boat. My boyfriend and I are booked on the pride jan 18th and got a GTD balcony room. We booked at the end of september. Ive noticed that since we have booked, the price per person has gone up a couple hundred dollars. So it really all depends. Hope this helps

Bonnie November 4th, 2003 01:07 PM

I went through Orbitz once and will never do it again. There was a huge change in the itenery for our cruise and where all other travel agents gave their clients a change to cancel thier cruise and rebook for another time, get their money back or just leave it as is, we were never notified. We didn't even find out we weren't going to Venezula till we were boarding the ship. The people in front of us notified us. After getting back I contacted Orbitz and the just said that they did notify us. It's funny because we got all their other emails regarding shore excursions etc. but not that one. When speaking to other Orbitz travelers I found out that it was a common accurance. This time I booked with a different internet agancy. Hopefully all goes well.
Good luck and happy sailing!

AKcruiser November 4th, 2003 01:54 PM

Kelicase,

If you book a cabin category that has 2 twin/king beds, then that will be the type of room you will get. A guaranteee cabin means that you will get no less than the category you booked in. Some people feel that there are some rooms that are less desirable and prefer to book a certain room. If you really don't care, a guarantee room in the category you prefer ie... inside 4A, or oceanview 6A, balcony 8A should be ok.

Happy sailing,

AKcruiser

Dorothy November 5th, 2003 07:26 PM

We booked a GTY and received a 4A category. Does this mean bunk beds? I am increasingly more and more unhappy with out TA. when I asked her she said "No, no, this isn't bunk beds, but I am staritng to wonder. We are sailing Fantasy in January.

dorothy

Jim Bragg November 5th, 2003 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Booking on Orbitz Question

Doroothy,
A 4A is not bunk beds. It is two lowers that can even be put together to make a king. The only bunk beds are in cat 1A. Other cabins may also have bunk beds that are used for a 3rd and 4th passenger if so designated but still have the two lowers.
Jim

AKcruiser November 5th, 2003 07:38 PM

Dorothy,

The category 4A rooms have 2 lower beds (twins/king) and could have 2 upper berths depending on the room. The only bunkbed arrangements are the cat 1A rooms where there is a lower bed and an upper one.

Have fun,

AKcruiser