Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Angel

Default Birth cerificates

We are sailing 11-23 to Mexico on the Pride. How important is having my birth certificate? Would my drivers licince and social secruity be enough.
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Bmaintz

Default Re: Birth cerificates

NOPE, you need BIRTH CRTIFICATES with the Raised state stamp... I had to call Kansas & paid $12 for mine since I only had a bilfold copy ...... You also will need a Drivers License with the picture.... Call Carnival, they will be happy to help you in this area....
Call 1-877-885-4856....
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

You MUST have either a passport or a birth certificate with a photo ID. A driver license and social security card are not enough; you will not be allowed to board the ship.

Below is an clip from the Carnival web site on travel documentation:

What travel documentation is required?
U.S. Immigrations determines the correct documents guests must have in their possession in order to travel. Proper travel documentation is required throughout the cruise and is the responsibility of the guest. Anyone not having proper documentation will be denied boarding at the port of embarkation without the benefit of a refund.

U.S. security procedures require all airline and cruise line passengers 16 or older to present official photo I.D. upon check-in.

The following documentation is required in order to sail on ALL cruise departures, including Cruises-to-Nowhere.

U.S. Citizens

Passport, valid or expired less than 10 years
Original birth certificate and a photo I.D.
Certified, state issued copy of a birth certificate and a photo I.D.
U.S. Military I.D., valid or expired, and a photo I.D.
Original naturalization papers and a photo I.D.
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Angel

Thank you !
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:02 PM
MichelleM

They check it before you board and when you return on the Pride. If you have a passport they do stamp it at the Long Beach facility when returning, we were excited about getting our first stamp in it.
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Do you also need your marriage license to show your name change from your birth certificate?

Old November 7th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

I was on the Triumph 10/18 cruise, and one couple in my party did bring their marriage license. My party had 4 couples and none of us was asked for it. I think the concensus is that you don't need to bring it. Carnival rep knows that a married woman may take on her husband's name.
Old November 7th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Angel

Well, I got my birth certificate. The "raised stamp" doesn't feel or look very raised. It's like they didnt press hard enough when they stamped it. I am wondering if I should send for a new one. Do you think it will pass? Kinda stuck. The whole ordeal cost me $50 bucks. Just didnt want to do it again. Any thoughts?
Old November 7th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Captain

One of the girls traveling with us has the same thing. Apparently some counties use a different kind of seal and some are raised more than others........sure hope hers passes the inspection....it is raised but very little.
Old November 7th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Angel

Joie, when are you sailing?
Old November 7th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Captain

If the birth certificate was issued from a state agency, you don't have to have a raised seal. Ours look like a copy of the microfish file and have always been accepted.

I copied this from our welcome aboard email from Carnival:

Passport Data
Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise and is the responsibility of the guest. Any guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. U.S. citizens must present proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, U.S. Military ID (no dependent IDs), or original Naturalization papers. U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport, original birth certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable. Non-U.S. citizens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid, unexpired passport.

AKcruiser

Old November 7th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Mine also has a very faintly raised seal. I'm just hoping for the best. You can certainly tell by "feel" that it is raised, however slight.

I LOVE the message boards, but being a first time cruiser I have to admit I'm finding LOTS of things to worry about!

Today my TA said "Relax!!! This is supposed to be a vacation, you know!"

Deep breath.....

dorothy
Old November 9th, 2003, 05:31 PM
CheryS

I needed my marriage license but only because I use my maiden name still and our tickets from Carnival came with my married name on them.
Old November 15th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Birth cerificates

I wondered mostly because I am cruising with friends and not my husband. I would just bring it along for good measure, except I can't find the dang thing. But if nobody has had any problems.

My first cruise is on the Triumph Jan 17 and am very excited. This message board is full of great info!!

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Old November 16th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

We haven't went yet but my father-in-law got my husband' s, raise seal and all. I called Carnival myself, read everything on it they said okay. Cost my father-in-law $15. I have my original with the cute little footprints that are 47 years old, no good! Carnival said I'll have to send away for a state issue raised seal.
Pastor's daughter tried to board plane for Aruba with original bc. day after her wedding he told the church this morning she called crying at 5:30 am and had to drive to state capital and can't go to Aruba for two more days. She had to have a raised seal. The thing is she was in Aruba last year with same bc and they let her board. Why the change?

Carnival Victory
Old November 16th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Well, after all this talk about a raised seal I pulled out my birth certificate (which is the original) and there is no seal and it doesn't say original, and with the additional posts - looks like I need to take some time off of work and go get one with a seal and a copy of my marriage license (am not sure which county has that, the one we live in or the one we got married in).......my this is a little nerve racking. Would hate to get there and they wouldn't let me on the ship.

Old November 16th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Birth cerificates

I was able to go to my local DMV and request my birth certificate. I thought I would have to wait for them to send it out to me, but they actually printed out a "true and official record of birth" right there on the special paper with the raised seal and everything. I was pretty happy! I'm in Minnesota and I'm not sure how other states work, but I can tell you it's pretty easy here!
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Admiral

I'm from Georgia, but getting a certififed copy (raised seal) copy o f my birth certificate took one phone call, one letter requesting same and $10. It was pretty painless.

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 17th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I had one issued by the Marines.. footprint, mom's fingerprint, the whole thing... but it was NO GOOD... had to get this cheap looking thing from NC in order to get my passport... but it's much better, easy to carry, and never questioned... I go to Canada often, and now always carry it, and often get asked....

RCL Legend of the Seas July 1999 Alaska
NCL Majesty Feb 2003 W Carr.

Old November 17th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to crazy4cruzin

You need a marriage certificate only if you are married and under 21 yrs old. I carry a state issued raised seal wallet size birth certificate and it is always accepted.