Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Geri617

Default chances of upgrade

I booked directly though carnival. I have been reading about upgrades on this board and people's TA's being a prefered agent and getting upgrades. Would bookiing through carnival direct mean even a more so preferred agent? lol
so would that mean my chances of an upgrade are even better?
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: chances of upgrade

Book the category you are comfortable with, period. I now there have been some people who claim great upgrades. All you can do is hope. I've sailed Carnival 4 times and have only been upgraded once from inside to outside.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

We went through our agent and just returned from our first cruise. We booked a guaranteed category 8-A. We got our documents and did not have a room number assigned until we arrived at the terminal. We were so thrilled that we had been upgraded to a category 11. Talk about good fortune. I don't know which is the best way to go but our next door neighbors went through Carnival, booked the room they wanted to start with and paid almost $1,000 more than we did for the same room. All we were interested in was having a balcony. We will do it the same way next time around, through our TA and hope for another upgrade.

Old November 10th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Admiral

I asked my TA what the chances were of an upgrade. She told me that the days of an upgrade from inside to outside cabins were "over" with Carnival - said they just weren't doing this anymore.

I'm sure I will be happy with my 4A - don't plan on being in the cabin much, but jsut wondered if anyone had a different experience lately.

Any upgrades from an inside to an outside?

dorothy
Fantasy January 4, 2004
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Angel

My thinking is if a cruise is going to sell out, than you have a good chance for an upgrade. I booked a 6A guarantee and per all the booking sites there is only 9 cabins left in the 6A catagory and only 3 left in the 6B catagory. I could be wrong but I'm more than hopeful I'll be upgraded, I don't cruise till april.....
Old November 10th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Captain

Upgrades can and do happen. But the rule of thumb is to book what you'd be happy with and hope for the best. If you'll be really upset if you don't get a window or balcony, book the lowest in that category. We just got upgraded from a 6D to a suite

AKcruiser

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:15 PM
debbycruises

We are sailing on Conquest 11/30. We paid for 4A and were upgraded to a 6B-- YAAAY! can't wait!! So an upgrade from inside to outside is more than possible, but not guaranteed... Good luck!

debbycruises

PS We booked through an online service- starts with an E... ;-))
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Geri,
Here is a great article that explains how some of us get those upgrades, good luck:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...r/upgrades.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Captain

I think to get a chance at it, you have to book just a guarantee.....not actually pick a cabin......is that correct?
I have heard that if you book a guarantee on 6B that it's possble, cuz they move these people first. We booked a 6B and picked a cabin mid-ship and will be happy with that. We paid 6 months ahead of time and some say that IF there are upgrades it will go to the guaranteed levles first, NOT those that booked early..........so we will live with what we got, cuz that's what we chose.
May try the guarantee sometime just to see if we can get one though.
Joie
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Both times I have booked an minimum inside, I have been bumped up to Oceanview...

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to YankeesBrat

This summer some friends and I booked three rooms on the bottom deck with a guarentee. Other friends of ours booked the Empress deck (deck 7)... All three rooms were upgraded from Riveria (deck 1) to Empress (deck 7), right next door to each other and around the corner from our other friends. The ship was full and it was a terrific upgrade! I'm not sure if it's because we were past Carnival guests or if it's becaused we booked all the rooms together but it was a nice surprise to see our room assignments when we got to the dock! Good luck
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Donna,
thanks for the link to that article - it told me what I needed to know - an upgrade is not something I am going to count on, particularly since this is my first cruise!

But hey - I won't be in cold old Atlanta in January and will be enjoying watching my 12 year old turn 13 in the Bahamas!! He tells strangers he meets on the street (well almost...) how this is the "best birthday he's ever gonna have." Cabin grade be damned - we're gonna have fun!

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:50 PM
dawnk

Default Re: Re: chances of upgrade

Angel, where are you going to find out what rooms are still available? We sail the Sensation, our first cruise, this Saturday. We booked a guaranteed category, hoping for an upgrade, but if not, oh well.... but I would love to see what is available still.
Also, anyone have any tips on what to take. This site has been very helpful as I never would have thought to bring a power strip, febreeze, and zip lock bags. Anything else I should remember?
Dawn
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Captain

Dawn, the new suction cup hooks are great to hang stuff in your cabin.

AKcruiser

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:06 PM
dawnk

Thanks! More great information.
I just checked the expedia site to try to see what was still open and all of the OV on every level are sold out. Don't know if that is good or bad, but I suppose it really doesn't matter what level we're on as long as we have the OV. Just had heard that the Riviera level was pretty noisy, and didn't really want to deal with that.
Dawn
Old November 11th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Sailing on fantasy nov 13 in 12 hours , 1st cruise ever we did get an upgrade. through my internet TA prices dropped and i asked for an upgrade versus a shipboard credit, or money back got a 3 cat upgrade 5 days before sail date ,,, good luck with yours
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Passenger

Hey you....

You and I are very close to our sailing dates.....Can you just not stand it????...OL. I've been giggling for days now....(hehehe)...see?

Old November 14th, 2003, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Just curious we have a 6A guarantee on Elation in March. Has anyone ever been upgraded above their Category 6 guarantee or is 6D (Empress Deck) the best I can hope for???

Thanks everyone!

Old November 14th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Absolutely not, you can hope for a suite or balcony room. It's possible.

Of all the Carnival cruises we've done we have been upgraded about 2/3 of the time. We always book the cheapest outside room guarantee.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 14th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Captain

We booked a 6D guarantee on the Elation Nov 30 and are getting a 12

AKcruiser
Old November 14th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Captain

We booked a 6D guarantee on the Elation Nov 30 and are getting a 12

AKcruiser
Old November 16th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Kari

Donna

My husband and I are on the same cruise. It would be really cool to meet some people to hang with on the cruise.

Kari