Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Passenger

Default Talent Show

I was on a cruise many years ago and there was a costume party and talent show. Do they still do this sort of thing? We are traveling on the Fascination on Dec 29th.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default Re: Talent Show

They stiil have a talent shows. There is one for adults, and a separate one for children.
From what I've seen, many of the adult talent show performers are profesional or semi profesional proformers. They are very polished.
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Passenger

I am a professional singer and thought it would be fun to sing at the Talent show because my whole family will be there. Do you know if they have someone to accompany, like a piano player or band? Or should you bring a tape?
Old November 11th, 2003, 09:44 AM
LHP

Marci:

I have done the Talent Show on 8 of the 9 cruises we have been on with Carnival (one cruise did not have enough sign up to put it on). It is so much fun.

You can bring your accompaniment tapes or cds. You can even use Karaoke cds, even though the words will not be posted anywhere for you. Every ship I have been on had key control on their tape deck....although some of the sound guys had to look for it. The band also has a book of songs they know ( a ton of them) that you can select from. Since I sing gospel...I always bring my tape....because even though the band knows a ton of songs...they usually do not know a lot of gospel. There will be an announcement in the Capers as to when and where to go to sign up.

If there are more than 7 people show up, they put everyone's name in the hat and draw....regardless of how good (or bad) anyone is. Sometimes...they will allow one extra. We have had as few as 6 show up and as many as 25. It all depends on the cruise. However, if a bunch of folks show up at sign up and you don't get selected...still hang around. Sometimes people who get selected chicken out...or can't find a song that the band knows etc etc etc and you can take their place if they drop out for any reason. I have watched 25 go to 8 because people get really brave, until they go to practice and see the stage. Then they fall like flies!!!

The Talent Show is performed on the main stage with all the tech guys that put on the professional shows. You only get one run through of your song...so make sure you take full advantage to make sure you are comfortable with the pitch and speed of the song.

They also tape the performance and play it on the TV all day the next day. But be warned...they do not run the sound back through the board when they record it...so the quality of the sound is weak.

Go prepared and have a great time! Also, if you love Karaoke and have your own cds...take them. Sometimes the Karaoke selection is weak on these ships. They usually hold the karaoke every day in one of the smaller lounges.