Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Angel

Default Dining room attire

Will jeans and a polo shirt suffice for my Husband in the dining room for dinner or should I get him some casuals?
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2003, 03:16 PM
jamie gunter

Default Re: Dining room attire

Carnival does allow jeans in the dining room except on Formal Night. My husband usually wears jeans and a polo shirt to dinner. I see alot of jeans when we have cruised with them twice.
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Kari Kinion

Default Re: Re: Dining room attire

Hi!
You said that you did see some jeans in the dining area at supper? My husband and I leave on the Imagination Dec 13 and I have been so worried about attire. I already know for sure that we won't attend formal night, we just aren't people that enjoy things like that but I was hoping my husband could wear black jeans and a polo shirt. I was planning on wearing a matching capri outfit or cotton dresses. What do you think? We aren't really into formal dress but we don't want to feel really out of place either. What ship did you go on? I hope you had a good time. What do people wear at breakfast and lunch in the dining area? Casual I hope. Thanks for the help.
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Captain

Kari,

Black jeans and a polo shirt are ok for dinner. Out of respect for others, I would eat at one of the alternate dining areas on formal nights. That's what we do when we don't dress up. if you eat breakfast and lunch on the Lido deck, you can wear just about anything. Some wear their swimwear with a cover-up, others shorts, sun dresses etc.
I've seen shorts in the dining room at breakfast and lunch too.

We've been on 7 ships: Jubilee,Celebration,Imagination,Sensation,Destiny, Holiday,Pride and soon the Elation

AKcruiser

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Jim B.

I just returned from my 3rd carnival cruise. On the first night in the dining room you will see a lot of jeans and some shorts, after that night no shorts but you will see some jeans. Here is what I would do, If your husband refuses to wear a suit or a tux have him wear a pair of kakis and a nice button up shirt and a tie, this will do fine. The formal nights usually have lobster and prime rib, I usually have both. Don't miss these nights for the food is superb, you can eat from the buffet any time.
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Bmaintz

You might think of your cruise to break out of the old patterns & try something NEW & exciting.....
Formal dining even though awkard at first may put spice in your life....
Make it an adventure of FUN.....
Bob & Kathy
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM
First Mate

Below is from
Carnival's web site if you notice the dress code for casual nights is coat and tie or resort casual. The paragaph below that is from a mens site and defines resort casual where one should be able to clearly see that jeans are not included. Then the argument is that Carnival does not prohibit jeans, only shorts and t-shirts. They also do not probhit pajamas, nuidity etc. but then pajamas and nudity are not resort casual. So I feel the proper answer is no jeans should not be worn in the dining room durning dinner.

What should I pack?
Casual attire is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. For Alaska and Canada cruises, sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested.Note: Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room area during dinner.

2. COUNTRY CLUB, or DRESSY, RESORT CASUAL, CASUAL CHIC: Apparel that youíd wear to a private country club for lunch or dinner. Dress trousers, sports shirt, dress shirt or knit polo shirt, a sweater or sport jacket and leather shoes/belt. Itís also appropriate for an off-site seminar, a party at a friendís home or dinner at a nice restaurant. And yes the elements in your attire may have cost MORE than a good suit!!
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:54 AM
ready to go

We just did first cruise on the Paradise in Sept. My advice is this - if you want to dress up, do so. If you don't, jeans are fine for the non-formal nights. I brought dressier things and found that many (if not most) people wore jeans on the non-formal nights. Next time, I will pack less formal wear and more casual dinner wear.
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Admiral

I am taking my 13 yo son, who is opposed to dressing up, but....he won't be wearing jeans in the dining room at night. I think Carnival provides a pretty good explanation - wear what you would wear to a country club for dinner. I've told my son it won't alter his experience AT ALL to put on some khakis and a polo shirt for dinner and to dress up for the formal night. He bedgrudingly agrees.

As to jeans, I guess I just don't get it. Who would *want* to wear jeans in a tropical location? Jeans, to me, are fall and winter wear. I grew up in the south and always look in amazement at the men wearing jeans to their son's baseball games in July. Can't imagine why anyone would want to be that HOT!!

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Kari

Thanks.
It seems everyone has such different opinions and the "rules" never seem to stay the same. We will for sure eat at an alternative place on formal night, we do want to respect those that want to be formal. I did call Carnival and they said that black jeans and a polo shirt is just fine for men for casual nights. As I said I have some capri outfits, a jumpsuit(looks tailored) and a few cotton dresses for evening casual dining and I think that is what we plan to wear and just hope we don't stick out like sore thumbs. I imagine we can't be the worst dressed there, atleast I hope not.
Thanks again.
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Kari

I was hoping my casual-but appropriate-outfits that I had chosen to wear during the day would be appropriate for breakfast and lunch in the dining room. Most of my outfits are plain cotton shorts with matching tank tops or tees. They are mostly from Spiegal so they aren't sport tanks or anything. I noticed Carnival's dress code only said shorts and tanks are discouraged from supper. I understand that it would not be appropriate to wear cut offs or inappropriate short shorts but was hoping what I listed would be okay. My husband will wear jean shorts and nice tee shirts during the day no matter what I say so that is settled. What do you think? It is hard to get a good idea of what it will be like when you get so many people from different cruise lines with different experiences all saying something different, although I appreciate all opinions. I will be on the Carnival Imagination. Also, didn't you say you were on the Imagination? What did you think? Any tips? We don't have a great room, class 6A on the Riviara deck. Do they supply beach towels? What did you think of the soda cards? If you prepay tips should you still tip throughout the trip? I am sorry I have kind of bombarded you with questions. It is just so much easier to ask someone that you know had already done what you are going to do and I have no idea what to expect-I've never left Iowa.
Old November 12th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Captain

Kari,

There isn't anything wrong with a 6A room. You'll have a big window and your room size will be the same as any other outside room. (except the suites) The clothes you describe should be fine for daytime wear. We very seldom eat in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. I prefer to be outside enjoying the views.

They do provide beach towels. The ones you use on the ship are outside on the Lido deck and the ones you take with you into the ports should be in your room when you arrive. If not just let your room steward know and they'll get you some. Just be sure and return them to your room as they will charge you for them. (same is true for the bathrobes)

We haven't used the soda card yet. My husband prefers coke in a bottle, so we are planning on bringing some with us. You can order soda in a bottle on the ship, but its spendy.

No matter how you decide to tip--pre pay or at the end, you will need to tip the room service staff when they deliver your food. Tips are added to all bar drinks at the time they are ordered.

We had a great time on the Imagination, you should too. Just relax and enjoy!!

AKcruiser
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Kari

Just curious as to where you see that Carnival's policy "only said shorts and t-shirts are discouraged" as every wirtten policy that exists states "Shorts and t-shirts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner" or "shorts and t-shirts are not permitted in the dining room area durning dinner." The words not permitted does not mean discouraged it means they are not allowed period.
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just returned from the Sensation cruise. Carnival is the most casual of dress codes that I've ever seen on the cruise lines. I saw everything (even shorts) in the dining room at dinner. Don't miss the formal night.....that's the best dinner of the whole cruise. Your husband could wear his Polo for that night. Have fun!!!
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Kari

Actually the discouraged word was a mistake, I guess, I don't take things quite to seriously. Anyway I never mentioned that I would want to go against that rule-no matter what the wording. We will not be wearing shorts or tee shirts or tank tops in the dining area at dinner. Even though if I see someone that is I will make sure not to quote them the rules and make sure that they know they are going against them, instead I will smile at them and say hi and hope they have a nice dinner. My main question reguarded the fact that it said dinner. I was wondering if it was the same for lunch and breakfast. Thanks