Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Beginner

Default Question about Disembarking

What time are you usually off the ship? My husband and I would like to book a return flight home of 12:10pm but we are worried we will not be able to make it to the airport in time because we are not sure what time we will get off the ship. Does anyone remember when they got off their ship? We are going on Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera in March 2004. We have to get back to LAX for our flight. Everyone tells us its about a 50 minute drive from the Port to the airport. So do you all think a 12:10pm flight is possible?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Eric & Sandi

Default Re: Question about Disembarking

From my experience and from other Post I've read on cruise sites, I think a 12:00 flight is kinda pushing it. If the boat docks at 7:00 it can take 45 min to 1 1/2 for customs to clear it.
If you do express debarkation ( available to US citizens only ) this can take up to another 45 min.
Then catching a cab and traveling in LA morning traffic. Then clearing security at LAX.

If I were you I would try for a later flight, there are just way to many things that can go wrong, and it would be a shame to end a relaxing vacation with the stress of a missed flight.

Happy cruising, Eric
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:44 PM
MichelleM

It all depends on how fast customs clears the ship. When we sailed on the Pride they started calling groups for disembarkation before we were done eating breakfast, everything went perfectly and you would of made the flight if you were one of the first groups to be called. But I have also been on ships when customs took their jolly time clearing the ship and the first group wasn't called until after 10am and then you would have some serious issues making your flight.

It does take at least 30 minutes to get to LAX from Long Beach, we didn't hit any traffic going but that could of been dumb luck too. Personally I would book a later flight just so you aren't stressed out on debarkation day if things take longer then expected. LAX isn't a fun airport to wait around for the next flight.
Old November 13th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Question about Disembarking

Michelle,
Thanks. We were hoping to take the 12:10 flight because its about $200 dollars cheaper than the other flights. Did you take a Taxi to LAX from Long Beach?
Jennifer
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:38 PM
CheryS

We sailed the Pride on Oct 26 and when we got back, they specifically called out groups that had flights first. When you fill in your information when you first get there, you let them know what flight you have going back. I think 12 is pushing it though. We were out of there by 10am but if we had to get to the airport, it'd be close. Maybe flights after 1 would be better.
Old November 15th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Gary L Rounds

Don't know if the PRIDE is doing this, but the GLORY allowed passengers that were American citizens and carrying their own luggage to depart the ship with the first group.

LA traffic on the 405 to the airport should not be a big problem on a Sunday morning, plus as others have stated, you'll get preferential disembarking because of your flight times.

I would agree, however, that 12:10 is really cutting it thin. The boarding process at LAX is very zoolike as we grapple with new security measures.

Gary
Old November 16th, 2003, 11:47 PM
gfk

I just returned today from the Pride. We had a 4 pm flight at LAX. Our color was called first to get off the ship! We went right to the busses - no lines. We arrived at the NW counter at about 10:15 am and there was no line and we were able to change to a 12:35 flight out. Just make sure you are off the ship first.
Old November 17th, 2003, 12:59 AM
NicoleM

gfk
How was your Pride cruise? I will be going in Jan. 2004 and was wondering how it went!