CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Too cold to swim in January? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/193278-too-cold-swim-january.html)

Dorothy November 13th, 2003 06:03 PM

Too cold to swim in January?

Please let me hear from some hearty folks that it isn't too cold to swim and snorkel in teh Bahamas inJanuary. My son and I are pretty sturdy folks (do a lot of camping - once a month year round) and I can't IMAGINE not snorkeling on our first cruise, but I'v e read several posts about it being too cold in January.

Also, is it shorts during the day, or will we need long pants and shirts?

dorothy

MichelleM November 13th, 2003 06:21 PM

Re: Too cold to swim in January?

I guess it all depends on your definition of cold. I had a roommate from Freeport, Bahamas in college and she had winter clothing. When I saw here pull out a fluffy winter coat, in Tampa Fl, I just about fell to the ground laughing. But being from Wisconsin I have a whole different definition of cold then she did.

The water will most definately be brisk when you first enter but as long as you aren't expecting bathwater temperature you should be fine.

kurtkill November 14th, 2003 07:03 AM

We were in Jamaica at New Years and snorkeled every day. Weather was in the mid 80's every day. That won't be a problem.

Thomas November 14th, 2003 12:15 PM

Dorothy, it really does depend on the air temperature I think. I've been to the Bahamas in January several times and the water temperature is too cold to swim, for me. If the sun is shining and it's warm you may be able to stand it. I've seen people snorkeling before. but they are not in the water long.

Once, (2000, I think) the skies were overcast and the wind was blowing so hard we used our towels as blankets and huddled in a hammock until the tender arrived to take us back to the pier.

Hopefully, the weather gods will cooperate for you and you can snorkel. I will be bringing my gear for sure, just in case.

Regards,
Thomas

Dorothy November 14th, 2003 03:34 PM

Yes I think Jamaica wouldn't be a problem, but of course the Bahamas are several hundred miles NORTH of Jamaica.

I'll hold a happy thought like Thomas said. Sounds as though I'll be taking some long pants and long sleeve shirts, though.

dorothy

MarciaLF November 16th, 2003 04:26 PM

There is no way to predict the Bahamas in January. I have been there a half dozen times in January, February & March and have seen everything from low 60s and rainy to high 80s and sunny. The best thing to do is to go to Weather.com a week before and get the ten day forecast. That is usually fairly accurate.

Marcia

Dorothy November 16th, 2003 05:09 PM

I'm good no matter *what* the weather since I'll be cruising, but will check out weather.com.

Of course, I just returned from a weekend camping trip in the mountains. Forecast was for high 20's at night - the low was 52! Weather happens...

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04