Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default health concerns passengers

traveling with 10, our children and grandchildren and want to know what kinds healthcare can we expect on board ,if someone gets sick or needs care for small manageble injury.? also what kinds of things really work for sea sickness? we have not cruised for over 15 years. i did get seasick on that cruise the second day out but it went away. at that time they had medication on board for everyone. i also have heard that the bigger ships help to cut down on seasickness. thanks patty
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:37 AM
TomS

Default Re: health concerns passengers

There is an infirmiry on board which can handle most minor medical emergencies. Carnival has a doctor on board and two nurses always on duty. In the case of a major medical emergency, they can call for a helicoptor to transport a paitent to a land based hospital. However, their services are very expensive and you will be expected to pay on the spot (or at least on your sail-and-sign card).

As for sea-sickness, I personally recomend ginger tablets. I found some at Wallgreens, although any good nutrition store should have them. I've also heard that sea-bands work, but I have no idea where to get them. Bromine and Dramamine also work, but the latter can cause drowzyness. They also pass out sea-sickness pills on board. Large ships are less suseptable to movement, but when seas get above 8 feet, which is uncommon in the Caribbean, you can expect to feel some movement.

TomS
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness and I've heard you can get seabands at health food stores. If not, then I imagine a google search would turn them up.

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Mary Bradley

I used the Sea Bands and they work great! You can get them at Wal-Greens, Eckards, or Rite Aid. be sure that if you do get them, put them on about a half hour before you leave port and use them the whole time your on the ship. The nice thing about them is that they don't make you sleepy and you hardley know that they are on!
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Happy Camper

What they used to give out on board was Bonine - little pink pills and they work great ! You can buy them over the counter. They hand out Dramamine now and it just doesn't do anything for me. By the way, I also carry a can of Lysol with me and spray the cabin. Think of all the illnesses that have been going around. I used not to do this but did on the last cruises. The cruise lines did some thorough cleaning on the ships that had the outbreaks on them last year - they said they washed all the comforters and even cleaned the Bibles off. Does that tell you that that is not normally done????? Debbie
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can get the acupressure bands on the ship ($15/pair), husband and daughter used last week on our cruise and they worked great.
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:31 PM
dwynn

I've bought Sea-bands at Walgreen's and a local drug store for about $6. They work really well; in fact, I was most appreciative of them on the bus ride from Seattle to Vancouver. Getting the button on the right spot (on your wrist) is important because they don't seem to work too well if incorrectly placed. I've heard ginger works, but I'm allergic. Sea-Bands are a good, non-drug alternative.