Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Default teen message boards-YIKES!!

My son just discovered the teen message board (he's almost 13), so I thought I'd see what was happening on that board.

Holy cow! For all the people that have complained about kids and teens on board, I think I might understand. The first post on the board is "Craziest Nights on Board." One of the first posts describes two 17 year old girls (traveling with "cool" grandparents - read grandparents that don't care what they do....) out dancing until 2 am and then getting "some guy" to buy them vodka. I keep reading this thread and when the "F" word had been used so many times, I signed off.

I'm not prudish and don't have any illusions about what teens are like these days (I teach teens and I'm the scoutmaster of a boy scout troop), but geez!!

Be on the lookout for my son posting on *this* board - he won't be back to the teen site anymore and I sure hope I don't run into any of those teens on our cruise...

dorothy (who doesn't usually feel like a fuddy duddy, but does today....)
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Becca12338
Default Re: teen message boards-YIKES!!

I am a teen, and I know not all teens are like this and when they are it's for fun!!! wellt eh cursinghappens alot but I am saying the actions that these girls did. I know alot of teens who enjoy doing those things, and yes cool parents are the ones who let you do whatever, but I know that those r the ones that don't really care about their children and in the real world a good parent cares about their kids. Im sure these girls didn't run around the skip liek crazy people and they are probably good people, but they partied for a night or two. No big deal!! I'm not trying to give u advice or anything but don't keep ur son too sheltered!!

CARNIVAL CONQUEST!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If u see swearing on ANY of the message boards... teens or others, PLEASE click on "Report This Message" on the right.

Foul language is NOT acceptable on any of our message boards!!!

As to the behavior of some of the teens onboard...unfortunately, not much we can do about that.

Old November 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Dot,
That type behaviour is not allowed on any message board and I have informed our Teen Monitor to check more carefully about language and subject matter. Any posts on any board that violates the TOS of postings is deleted and the person is warned. We try and keep these boards family orientated but occasionally we do slip up and we need to be made aware of this violations.
Jim

Old November 18th, 2003, 07:34 PM
allisa

hello adult people out there---welcome to the world of being a teenager in 2003. you honestly dont think you're kids are perfect angels on cruises do u? u got to face it-those stories are really what happens when teens go on cruise ships!! u might think you're kid is an angel but i betcha he or she is gettin drunk and hooking up with people when you're on a cruise
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Captain

allisa, Are you implying that all teenagers behave this way? If a teen is going to act this way at home chances are it'll happen on a cruise ship too. Don't label all teens into that category as I'm sure there are upstanding, reliable teens out there who act responsibly on a cruise as they do at home.

And FYI I am not a mother of a teen.
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Adults want their kids to "hook up" with other kids.... as in make friends. Not sure that was the meaning you were trying to project though.

However, if as you say, they're getting drunk etc.... you've given probably the best reason to leave them at home.

You don't have to be an "angel", but if kids think they need to get drunk to have a good time they haven't learned any of life's simplest lessons yet.

Old November 18th, 2003, 07:59 PM
allisa

no i wasn't implying ALL teenagers act that way, just 80%. i'm a pretty good kid at home. i rarely get into trouble and i go to a party once and a while but on a ship im totally different. since im basically away from my parents the entire week i'm free to do whatever. i was just saying that probably 80-90% of teenagers on cruises are participating in these activities whether their parents want to believe that or not. i know my parents would never think i do half the stuff i do on a cruise
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:02 PM
JasonRay

Since when is that one of life's simple lessons. I think kids, more so than adults, are able to have a good time without alcohol. I know as I have gotten older, it has become more and more difficult to loosen up and have a good time without alcohol. Thats not a bad thing, its just the way it is. I wish I could have the youthful exuberance of a 16 year old, but I don't. I'm not saying I need to drink to have a nice time and relax by the side of the pool, but it does make it better. Kinda like sports and gambling.
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Captain

I guess then that the problem with 80-90% of teenagers acting out on a cruise really lies with the parents. When our daughter was a teenager and cruised with us, we knew what she was doing and we checked on her to see that she was where she said she was going. We spent all meals and shore excursions together and she had a curfew just as she did at home. Did she have a good time cruising? you bet...she's hooked!!

AKcruiser
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:30 PM
JasonRay

Amen!!
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CreekChic128

I think I'm who you're looking for ... and my grandparents aren't cool because they let me do what ever i want, I love my grandparents and they are the coolest grandparents i know. My grandma knew i wanted to meet Josh Jackson, so we did ... thats a little different, but whatever ... i did you not read the part where the rooms were mixed up ... she didn't know the rooms would be back to back ... she thought that they'd be right next door ... i think if you're going to ciriticize something i say you should put in the ENTIRE story. And I want to thank Becca because my friend and I are good people and only partied for 2 nights. We're your normal teenage girls ... we have fun now and then, but we never take it too far. i'm sorry but its a fact of life that teenagers are going to drink ... it's taboo to us, and that's why most kids do it ... my grandparents wouldn't approve of me drinking (so i guess they're not that cool ... WRONG!), infact they would have kicked my butt. Dorothy, you're going to run into these kinds of kids on any cruise you go on ... so sorry ... but i'll let you know from first hand experience ... kids whose parents let them drink are so much less likely to do it ... i've got tons of friends whose moms and dads would let them drink, but they don't and everyone of my friends who aren't allowed to drink drinks ... so you'll have to make that decision on your own, but don't shelter your son too much

Carnival Sensation!
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Admiral

The term "hornet's nest" comes to mind....

I knew ahead of time that although I would allow my son a little freedom, I would know where he was on board. He would have check-in times, etc. I'm glad I heard there is a remedy for bad language on the message boards and I'm glad the moderator will be checking in on the teen board.

As to not "sheltering" my son - if knowing where my child is, who he is with and basically what he is doing, then I will shelter away! And guess what? He KNOWS that is a recipe for me showing I love him. Love isn't always a hug or kind word, sometimes it's a curfew and a set of hard questions. *That's* how I love my son.

That being said, I am STILL really looking forward to my cruise and so is my son. He rolled his eyes at this whole thread and said "Mom! Why don't you just relax? It's our vacation, you know and we're gonna have fun. Forget this other heavy stuff."

He's just about the smartest teen I know!

dorothy
Fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:32 PM
First Mate

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy teenagers.
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: teen message boards-YIKES!!

I'll help you keep an eye on him Dorothy. If he's good at counting cards I could use a blackjack partner. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: teen message boards-YIKES!!

Wow, Liz, you have a pretty limited experience if every kid you know who isn't allowed to drink drinks anyway. My parents did not drink and hence I was not allowed to drink, and guess what...I didn't. And yet I still managed to have an excellent childhood and yes, even learned to have a lot of fun as an adult without resorting to being slammed out of my brain as I've seen many people have to do. It's pretty embarrassing really to see someone so drunk they don't know where they are and then they vomit all over themselves and then KEEP drinking...whether they are a teen or an adult that is a sign of someone who has no self-control or self-respect. Now I'm not saying that this is what you and/or your friends do, all I'm saying is that I am sick of teens (whether it is now or teens 6 or 7 years ago when I was in school) acting like there is NO ONE else out there making responsible choices in order to make themselves feel better....or better yet mocking the others who do choose to be responsible. Wake up call - there are plenty of teens who find it possible to go on a cruise and not behave like this even once because they CHOOSE not to. There is always a choice.
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CreekChic128

I know that drinking is a personal choice ... i've been on cruises and had plenty of fun with out drinking. i'm a happy teenager, stressing over college, but happy. but what i was saying about parents letting their kids drink ... it's not like they say oh go party, but if they're having something at home with alochol they tell their kids that they can have a beer if they want one, and all of those people have never TOUCHED alochol ... wether it's at home or out at a party. and i've never once gotten so drunk that i can't remember who i am or where i am. i know when enough is enough. i'm a responsible drinker ... even though many adults don't think that you can be responsible at 17. and despite what y'all might think ... i am a perfectly normal 17 year old girl. i'm a straight A honor society student, president of FBLA, yearbook deadline editor, have a job ... and yeah, every now and then i party. i'm not a bad person ... i'm sorry, but i don't think drinking every once and a while is a bad thing.

Carnival Sensation!
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Admiral

I don't think drinking every now and then is bad either, Liz - for people the legal drinking age. But you know, there is a *reason* for the drinking age and you, my dear, are an underage drinker. Most teens are just not emotionally mature enough to handle alcohol. Wait until you get to college and you'll meet lots and lots of people who can't and it shows in their grades and performance.

I'm glad that you are able to enjoy your cruises without drinking. I know lots of adults that need to be able to enjoy *their* lives without drinking, but can't!

Happy sailing in the future and good luck with your college career.

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Becca12338

Dorothy, We understand love is knowing where your child is and what he is doing and alothough he may roll his eyes now hemay not later, nad you can't excpect him to not try these things, kids are curious!!! As for hooking up, she meant with boys. And i think we all need to chill out a bit, becuase it is vacation, and adults do what they want, why shouldnt kids, unless it's like kidding themselves??

CARNIVAL CONQUEST!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Gary L Rounds

"When I was 14 years old, I could hardly stand to be around my Dad. He was an embarrassment to me because he was so stupid. But when I turned 21, I was amazed at how much he had learned in seven years".....Mark Twain

Gary :-)
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Gary,
I think most of us have experienced this amazing "awakening" and wish we had a little sooner!

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04