Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:49 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Conquest Must Know

To prepare anyone planning on sailing the Carnival Conquest or out of New Orleans. It is an amazing experience, BUT....make sure, even if you don't get motion sickness normally, that you bring medicine or pick up the wrist bands. You need to use one of these BEFORE the motion starts. The Gulf of Mexico generally has some rough seas and quite a few people didn't make it out of their stateroom the first day. Once we got beyond the rough Gulf, it was pretty smooth sailing.

I have been back for a week now and it took a good 4 days to make the feeling of motion stop, and I never had a problem on the ship at all. I enjoyed it thoroughly....until I hit land!

Just a heads up for future sailors.
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Carnival Conquest Must Know

We've been sailing out of New Orleans and Galveston for 5 years now and have to admit he is very right. It is much rougher in the Gulf than in going out of Miami. Although I haven't gotten sick or anything and like to have a little motion in the ship (I'm on a ship) I will admit that it is rougher. Also going out of New Orleans you sail the Mississippi River for hours before hitting the Gulf and you will be doing some turns and the other ship, the Inspiration, that used to be there really moved side to side with the turns on the river. It is great though and really neat change to sail on a river. Debbie
Old November 24th, 2003, 08:54 AM
starfighter

You may be right, but in all honesty, I never really noticed it. It could be that it just depends on the weather conditions at the time, such as wind direction and speed. It could also be partly due to how well the ship is equipped to handle the motion of the sea and the ability of the captain to use that equipment to it's fullest capabilities.
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Captain

We just returned and really only had one bad night.........the river was harder to get thru walking while sailing than the gulf. SHE is a beautiful ship and a lovely trip. Will post a trip report shortly.
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Granny

Hi Sailor,

Thanks for the heads-up. My family, friends and I are planning to cruise on the Conquest in October 2004. I was more concerned about the weather than the ship motion. I was on the Glory this past October and one night it was moving quite a bit. We kept on asking each other "have I had too much to drink, or is it the ship" :-)
No one that I know of got sick, however, I did see a lot of people with the little motion sickness patch behind their ears. Maybe that was the reason.

My fiance is from New Orleans and an experienced river sailor (he works on a river boat) so he knows how the river can get.

Thanks again
Old November 26th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival Conquest Must Know

I was surprised at how much I did feel it... we just got back from the Conquest this Sunday and it was a wavy ride at least three of the nights out.... We had some high winds from what I understood and I had thought at first that it was me just being a baby about being seasick... but when I heard some of the crew saying it was a rougher than usual I knew it was more than just me....
Old November 28th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Bmaintz

I was on the ship with you & it wasn't just you.... We had a bow cabin & it would bang on the waves at times.... I think I heard that the waves were up to 7 feet or more at times...
I got real seasick in the Navy so it didn't bother me...Surprised that my wife didn't get sick...
Anyway the glasses stayed on the tables & your food didn't move around on you as it did in the Navy...
Bob & Kathy
Old November 28th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Nanni-B

In March we will be saling for the 3rd year in a row out of New Orleans and have never left out of any other place. The first morning on the Inspiration, I felt alot of movement and actually became sick on our first formal night. Last year, on the Grandeur, I never got sea sick but my daughter was sick on the first formal night. She had a good fever which I think ruled out being sea sick. Now, I am really testing fate because this year we have a balcony cabin facing the wake (Aft Cabin I believe it is called?) and will premedicate this year. Not sure if I should medicate my daughter as well. I just can't pass up an opportunity of a back balcony on the Conquest.
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:32 AM
Alana

We were on the Conquest 11/16. I would suggest that everyone take seasickness precautions. I had only been out on the open ocean once before in Mass. to go whale watching (that was a nightmare!) - so I wanted to be totally prepared for the Conquest. I used the little ear patch called Transderm-scop (available by prescription from your doc) I only had motion sickness one evening - I think a lot of other folks did too that night. It was just a really windy night. I layed down for a bit and was fine. I never got "sick" - I just felt close to that point! I have used the patch many times for air and car travel and I totally swear by it. The only side effects I could complain about is dry-mouth. It doesn't make me sleepy like Dramamine often does. It is safe and suitable for adults and children. Each patch lasts for 72 hours and is fine for swimming, showering and sleeping. Just make sure you have at least 3 patches per person for a 7-day cruise.
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:43 PM
cruizergirl

Default Re: Re: Carnival Conquest Must Know

I just got back from the Elation that sailed out of Galveston. Unfortunately, we also hit the 'cold fronts' that came through the gulf.

Although hard to hear at times, I believe our captain said there were swells of 15feet or so. First time I ever saw sickness bags spread throughout a ship. It was quite difficult to walk around.

If you are not normally prone to seasickness and you ever run into a situation where you think you might, they do give you pills at the information desk if you ask for them.