Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:07 PM
Alex

Default Raised seal gone on birth certificate!

I sent off for a new copy of my birth certificate, but it was mistakenly thrown away by the house cleaners! I have my original birth certificate (Washoe County, NV circa 1981), and was wondering if anyone has either experienced a problem using a B.C. that no longer has a raised seal due to age or if anyone has been in a similar situation and had no problem.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Shipbound

Default Re: Raised seal gone on birth certificate!

If time allows get a passport there're good for ten years.

Gary
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
Alex

Default Re: Re: Raised seal gone on birth certificate!

I am leaving on 12/7, no time to get a passport.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Raised seal gone on birth certificate!

They should accept it as the portion that was raised is still visible to some degee, or maybe your state does not have a riased seal. Either way, if it is an original issued birth certificate issued by a government office it is acceptable.
Jim

Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:55 AM
Alex

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Raised seal gone on birth certificate!

Thank you for the info. BTW, I'm sure I'm not the only person who finds it completely unhelpful when a question about birth certificates is answered with a simple "get a passport!" Yes, I will be getting a passport in the future, but this time around I simply could not squeeze an extra $170.00 (for the two of us) out of the pre-Christmas budget, especially as this is our first cruise.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:30 PM
Captain

Even with the extra security they never looked at ours for more than a second.....just matching names.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Raised seal gone on birth certificate!

I just commented on BC on the another post,but, wanted to let you know we had the same problem,looked into getting passport & it was an extra 60.00 just to have it expedited,on top of the other 85.00 fees. I went through vitalcheck,but, that took 5 days with speedy delivery. Good luck!

Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Alex, my son and husband's birth certs do not have raised seals but rather a stamp and you can tell it's original. We have been on several cruises and it was never questioned. Each state is different. BTW there are 4 of us and it happened that we were all born in different states. All our certs are different in size, info contained and seal vs stamp. Happy sailing! And I agree with your aggravation about the passport comment. I thought about getting one for our upcoming and my husband agreed too why spend that much money when we could use it on the cruise. It's not a hassle for us to take our certs, we've done it many many times.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Darrick

Here was my problem. I had a very old photocopy of my birth certificate, which was a copy of my original birth certificate on microfisch <~~Spelled Corrected??? It was the only copy I had and because I didn't live close to my homestate and kind of refused to pay $50 or $60 bucks for another photocopy from one of the online birth certificate places I just took it, along with my social security card, a drivers license, and an old military ID of mine.

I'm not saying anything about the security of boarding ships, what I'm saying is that I tucked the military ID in pocket just as a backup because I know it's an acceptable form of id along with a drivers license. But I presented only my copy of the birth certificate, drivers license and credit card and I got everything I needed to board the ship.

Maybe I just got lucky? Who knows.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Darrick, living close to your home state should have NOTHING to do with getting a certified copy. You don't have to apply in person, just call them. You don't have to pay $50 to an online birth certificate company! Like I said before, it's one phone call, a stamp, and not a huge amount of money. From my state it was $10.

Getting a certified copy of a birth certificate is done all the time folks, there's a vital statistics person that does nothing BUT that in most states and/or counties.

Trust me - just call the county in which you were born and they will help you.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04