Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Sophia Pappas

Default Galveston, Texas

Hi everyone, I'm Sophie from Minniapolis.

I recently took a cruise out of Galveston, Texas on the ELATION.
This was a fun ship to be on for seven days. Our cruise departure day was on Sunday.
Four of us arrived in Houston on Friday afternoon, and was driven to Galveston. Our travel agent arranged for a wonderful shuttle service to drive us there. Thank God we didn't a car.
The traffic in Houston is terrible, we would never have made it.

My point in wrtting this is to recommend that you spend a day or so in Galveston. This is really
a great town. It a walkable town, with shops, restaurants, bars and hotels in the old historic downtown district called "The Strand". It only a few blocks to the cruise ship terminals. There is even a trolley that run from downtown to the beach overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. In these winter months the hotels offer great rates.

This town of Galveston is really a neat vacation spot just south of Houston.

E Mail me if I can be of any help or if you have any questions.
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:38 PM
shmthaus

Default Re: Galveston, Texas

Hello Sophia, too bad you live so far north. We live in Dallas and love to drive to Galveston and spend a few days. It's only about 5 hours (depending on who is driving) from here.

Hope your cruise was as happy as your visit to Galveston.
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Sophie, I am so glad you enjoyed Galveston. It is always nice to hear good things about the state you are from. I live in Central Texas and vacation there several times a year. If you get the chance to go back stay at the Flagship - It is the only hotel over the water. Granted It is no Hilton but it definitely has charm. My young teen sons fish right off the balcony. Also, check out Moody Gardens. It is an incredible place.
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Passenger

We cruised out of Galveston in October----we stayed sat night at Guido's Motel---it is right across from the beach, you get a 25.00 dinner off in Guido"s restr---and the BEST part-----you can park your car in their parking lot all week for FREE. Again it is no Hyatt, but it is clean and the cruise special is 59.00 /night. The dock charges 10.00 a day for parking-------its a great deal. I would NEVER drive down the day of my cruise---heard too many sad stories of breaking down on the way and missing the boat----you gotta relax before you get on the ship.
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Nancy Whitney

Default Re: Re: Galveston, Texas

I will be cruising out of Galveston February 22 and am interested in staying a few days prior in the historic district. I would like to stay within walking distance of area activities. I realize this will be during Mardi Gras and prices will be high so I want to make sure I am in the right locale if I am paying top dollar. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Gal1974 Send a message via MSN to Gal1974

I am going to Galveston the 20th-23rd just to take my neices and mom. First to see where the cruise ports are and to relax!!! I live north of Dallas, in Van Alstyne, is it a straight shot down 1-45 just like mapsco says? lol

We rented a condo at the Victoria Condo Inn. We can't wait!

Carnival Celebration for my 30th birthday!!!!