CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   $50 carnival donation - fun ship dollars (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/193623-50-carnival-donation-fun-ship-dollars.html)

luv2cruz December 12th, 2003 09:05 PM

$50 carnival donation - fun ship dollars

Hi,
I just received $50 worth of Carnival "Fun ship" dollars as a gift for Christmas. Unfortunately, my family didn't read the fine print. My cruise packet arrived today and I decided to look through all my paperwork. The problem?

On the back of the cerificate, it states that you must send them in 15 days prior to your cruise in order to use them as an on board credit. So, I can't use them on the cruise I am going on next week and my family can't get a refund. The only way I can use the certificate is to go on a cruise by 10/05. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to do so.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything else I can do? I called and the reps were of no help. Any help would be very appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
bummed out before I even get to Miami

mibrown12 December 12th, 2003 09:49 PM

Re: $50 carnival donation - fun ship dollars

I would try to use them at the pursers desk the day you get there. Tell them they were a christmas gift and you received them later than the time frame. I received two 25 dollars g/c through carnival and they told me to present them the first day to the pursers desk. Its worth to try to get the money, if not ???

Michele

readytocruise December 13th, 2003 08:36 PM

Re: Re: $50 carnival donation - fun ship dollars

I'd really like to know the answer to that also! My whole family is getting us gift certificates for our cruise. Jan 4th is definitely less that 15 days away from Christmas! Could be a bummer!

taymiss December 14th, 2003 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: $50 carnival donation - fun ship dollars

We sail the 4th as well. I find it hard to believe that they would not be accepted at the desk to be put on are S & S card. Doesn't make any sense to me.

KayV December 14th, 2003 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: $50 carnival donation - fun ship dollars

I bought three $25 fun ship dollar gift certificates to be presented on Christmas morning on board the ship. I also saw the fine print and called Carnival. They said no problem. Just have my kids and mother present them to the Pursers office for a credit to their sign and sail cards. They said if they presented them as cash to the gift shop, etc. they would get funny looks. Anyway, not what I had hoped for but at least they are not worthless.

Moondawgie December 15th, 2003 10:10 AM

Kay, I don't understand why this is not what you hoped for. When you have credit to your S&S card, you can use it in the gift shop. The gift shop does not take cash. Charge away! Have fun.

luv2cruz December 15th, 2003 04:32 PM

Re: Re: $50 carnival donation - fun ship dollars

Hi everyone,

I checked with Carnival again today and I was told I could not cash these in at the purser's desk. I'll try but the gentlemen was again adamant (at least he thought the policy was a bit odd!). I was again told that I could use them on another cruise.

If you are going on a cruise soon and might be getting these, you may want to get them early so they'll actually be of use on the ship.

Maybe enough people will complain and Carnival will change this CRAZY policy.

Thanks for all your replies!!

KayV December 16th, 2003 06:46 AM

I don't know who you are talking to but my travel agent also said they can be taken to the Purser's office any day of the trip for credit to your sign and sail account. The Carnival Rep I talked to also said the same thing. He said the only reason the 15 day stipulation is given is because it makes for easier bookkeeping. He said many people bring them on the ship and that my children and mother can even wait until Christmas morning or later on the cruise to have them applied to their accounts.
The reason I am slightly disappointed by this is because I had no intention of opening individual accounts for my teens. My mother on the other hand will be thrilled, I am sure!

KayV December 16th, 2003 06:47 AM

I don't know who you are talking to but my travel agent also said they can be taken to the Purser's office any day of the trip for credit to your sign and sail account. The Carnival Rep I talked to also said the same thing. He said the only reason the 15 day stipulation is given is because it makes for easier bookkeeping. He said many people bring them on the ship and that my children and mother can even wait until Christmas morning or later on the cruise to have them applied to their accounts.
The reason I am slightly disappointed by this is because I had no intention of opening individual accounts for my teens. My mother on the other hand will be thrilled, I am sure!

lizygirl December 16th, 2003 09:32 AM

Just called Carnival Special Services. The Fun ship dollars that you receive, you just have to present them to the Pursers desk. They will take the face value of the certificates and apply it to your Sail and Sign card.

When we went on our cruise, we had someone give a $1,000.00 credit to your sail and sign card.

No problem using the Certificates, you do not have to mail them in.