Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Default Destiny-Change in port stop

Hi, We are sailing on the Destiny in Feb, 2004. We just got notified that we will NOT be stopping in Martinique, but will be stopping in Dominica. I am not upset with the change because I didnt' care for Martinique when we went the last time. What I was wondering was, why did they change? Is there something wrong with Martinique? I guess I am jsut curious. It must be something to have a whole ship NOT stop and take with them all the tourism dollars. Just wondering if anyone can tell me about Dominica. I have never heard of it. I guess I will be surfing the net to get the scoop on that stop. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2003, 11:34 PM
pat brennan

Default Re: Destiny-Change in port stop

Stoped in Martinique nov 03, it was the pits!! The people are not only unfriendly they are hostile to Americans. A trip down-town was very scarey glad they dropped it. Dominica is much nicer, friendly and it is an independant island glad to have visitors. You aren't missing anything by not going to Martinique.
Old December 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Do a search on this board - there was a long thread about Martinique being removed from the iten, not too long ago.

dorothy
Old December 21st, 2003, 09:48 AM
starfighter

I'm not really sure why Carnival made that change in destinations. I've heard some people comment on this board about the locals being unfriendly, but I never experienced that in the 2 times I was there. I always had a great time there, but I had a great time in Dominica also. I think it was probably that anti-French, anti-American thing, but with the war over and with things getting back to normal, I don't think those feelings are going to last much longer. Generally, there's enough fault to go around on both sides of any issue. Dominica is a beautiful mountainous island with dense follage and towering waterfalls. If you go to the Carnival site on the internet, they should have information about the excursions available, whether you use their excursions or do your own thing from the dock. Good luck.
Old December 21st, 2003, 10:25 AM
MichelleM

We have been to both Dominica and Martinique and the change is for the better. Dominica is so very beautiful. When we went there we went on Carnival's Pools and Falls tour which was excellent, it hit some of Dominica's beautiful natural highlights at a pretty reasonable price considering it was a ship sponsered tour. We went to Trafalger Falls, the Emerald Pool and a few other places. Our table mates when on the Dominica snorkeling experience which when to champagne springs and said it was really neat.

From what I have read they dropped Martinique due to poor customer comments on the island. We have been to Martinique twice and the tours were very overpriced for what you got.
Old December 21st, 2003, 11:16 AM
Admiral

MichelleM has the correct answer. Comments were not very good about this port that went back to CCL HQ and they felt that the port of Dominica has much more to offer in the way of tours, island friendliness, pricing, and overall satisfaction of thier guests. I for one wholeheartedly agree with it and it has nothing to do with Iraq. The anomosity towards Martinque go way back. Let me share just one incident we encountered. While there with friends we found out that unless you spoke French they tended to ignore you so, my friend who is fluent in French asked a local a question while the local was facing away from us. The local immediately turned around and very friendly spoke to me in French. My French is pretty bad so I looked at my friend who again spoke to the local in French. The local was shocked and insulted and turned around and walked off. My friend happened to be a Black guy and this local white Freachman appeared not to want to lower himself to speak with my friend and as I was not able to converse with him I too was not worth speaking to. Before anyone defends this local we also know there was no language barrier as we heard him speck English just before hand. I do not like that island.
Jim

Jim

Old December 21st, 2003, 12:38 PM
starfighter

You have a good point there and that certainly may have a bearing on their decision, but a friend of mine in the export/import business to whom I just finished talking, brought something to my attention. Business decisions are based largely on financial considerations and he recalled that meetings were being held last year that involved the cruiselines and several of the islands, pertaining to increasing the charge per cruiseship customer in the neighborhood of $5 to $15 a head. I knew this was done on cruising through the Panama Canal, but I was unaware this situation took place elsewhere. He seems to think if we were privy to these discussions, we would be likely to find that the charge per head in Dominica is more favorable to Carnival than it is in Martinique. I'm not in the business of dealing with other countries as he is, so I don't know if that's the case, but it seems reasonable that any business entity would be more concerned with their bottom line in making business decisions. Just a thought.